Birthday Parties and Gifts

Old June 14th 04, 08:05 PM
Usenet Fan

Default Birthday Parties and Gifts

Need some sage advice.

DS is now 6 months old, and the playmates he's made at the mommy/baby
playgroups are now starting to have birthday parties.

One coming up is on a Friday, and we can't go since I've now returned
to work.

If I've been invited to a wedding and couldn't attend, I always send a
gift. But is the etiquette the same for children's birthday parties?
If we don't attend, we send a gift anyway? It's not a really close
friend, just an acquaintance from a playgroup. Does that matter in
the gift issue?

Thanks,
Robin
DS John - 6 months, 19 pounds and Mommy's little Prince Charming
Old June 14th 04, 09:00 PM
Sue

If you can't go, then no you don't have to send a gift.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

m...

Old June 14th 04, 09:28 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Usenet Fan wrote:

If I've been invited to a wedding and couldn't attend, I always send a
gift.

Which is nice, but *NOT* required by etiquette.

But is the etiquette the same for children's birthday parties?
If we don't attend, we send a gift anyway?

It is the same, in that you are not required to
send a gift if you do not attend. If your child knows
the child well and is interested in sending a gift, it
would be okay to do so, but it is not expected.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old June 15th 04, 03:54 AM
HCN

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
Usenet Fan wrote:

... If your child knows
the child well and is interested in sending a gift, it
would be okay to do so, but it is not expected.

And there is NO way a 6 month old child is even aware of the other child's
existence.... a good guideline: The number of guests invited to a child's
birthday party should be equal or LESS than the age (in years) of the
birthday child's age.

Old June 15th 04, 03:58 AM
HCN

"Usenet Fan" wrote in message
m...
Need some sage advice.

DS is now 6 months old, and the playmates he's made at the mommy/baby
playgroups are now starting to have birthday parties.

Do not worry about it. Send a congrats in a card to the mom... but do not
send a gift. There will be plenty of opportunities later. Your child will
not really even be aware that other children exist until he is at least 2
years old.

Plus... I have found with 3 kids... the house fills up with TOO many toys!
Personally I am a fan of books as gifts.

Old June 15th 04, 04:17 AM
Tracey

"Usenet Fan" wrote in message
m...
If I've been invited to a wedding and couldn't attend, I always send a
gift. But is the etiquette the same for children's birthday parties?

In my experience, its NOT like a wedding. If you don't go to the party,
you don't need to send a gift.

However, if it were a good friend, then I'd send a gift anyway (but you said
it isn't a good friend, so I wouldn't bother).

Old June 15th 04, 04:24 AM
Tori M.

"HCN" wrote in message

"Usenet Fan" wrote in message
m...
Need some sage advice.

DS is now 6 months old, and the playmates he's made at the mommy/baby
playgroups are now starting to have birthday parties.

Do not worry about it. Send a congrats in a card to the mom... but do not
send a gift. There will be plenty of opportunities later. Your child

will
not really even be aware that other children exist until he is at least 2
years old.

Plus... I have found with 3 kids... the house fills up with TOO many toys!
Personally I am a fan of books as gifts.

I agree! We just have one child and more toys then we know what to do with
not only that but my husband and I have not purchased any! I have told the
multiple grandparents that educational toys/ movies/ games and music Cds are
welcome and too many toys will be regifted I also welcome books and
cloths.. hehe you never turn down baby cloths

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04

Old June 15th 04, 05:06 AM
Ericka Kammerer

HCN wrote:

Your child will
not really even be aware that other children exist until he is at least 2
years old.

I agree that there's no need to send a gift, and
I agree the 6mo child isn't going to care about giving
or receiving gifts, but I certainly disagree that kids
aren't aware of other kids' existence until 2yo! Even
my almost-1yo is quite aware of other kids, recognizes
the ones she knows, and interacts with them differently
from kids she doesn't know. I think the latest research
suggests that even babies are capable of forming relationships
with other kids, though it's not the same sort of friend
relationships they form later.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old June 15th 04, 05:11 AM
toypup

"Usenet Fan" wrote in message
m...
If I've been invited to a wedding and couldn't attend, I always send a
gift. But is the etiquette the same for children's birthday parties?
If we don't attend, we send a gift anyway? It's not a really close
friend, just an acquaintance from a playgroup. Does that matter in
the gift issue?

I usually send a card, but if I plan to invite their child to my child's
party, I will give a gift.

etiquette for thank you letters when the gift is not known Mary Ann Tuli General 64 April 3rd 04 03:06 AM
seeking birthday party advice Nic General 7 April 1st 04 06:51 PM
Birthday party food etiquette Cheryl S. General 42 January 7th 04 04:31 AM
"no gifts, please" Sara General 29 September 22nd 03 08:27 AM
Paying for a kids party you have been invited too? Sam General 49 September 16th 03 03:51 AM