Pumping ahead for back to work?

Old October 12th 06, 07:24 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Default Pumping ahead for back to work?

My daughter is 6 weeks old, and nursing like a champ. I started
pumping a couple of weeks ago, mainly to get her used to taking a
bottle - she'll take an ounce or two every couple of days quite happily
(and her big brother begs me to pump more often so he can feed her!).

I start back to work in about a month, and after problems pumping
enough for my two older children (using a Medela PIS) and ending up
supplementing with formula, I'm trying to be more proactive this time.
I've got a few 4-ounce bottles frozen, but would like to have as much
as possible saved up in advance.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't start taking fenugreek now, or at
least a couple of weeks before I go back to work?

Thanks!

Old October 13th 06, 05:00 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
PattyMomVA

wrote and I snipped:
My daughter is 6 weeks old, and nursing like a champ. I started
pumping a couple of weeks ago, mainly to get her used to taking a
bottle - she'll take an ounce or two every couple of days quite happily
(and her big brother begs me to pump more often so he can feed her!).

I start back to work in about a month, and after problems pumping
enough for my two older children (using a Medela PIS) and ending up
supplementing with formula, I'm trying to be more proactive this time.
I've got a few 4-ounce bottles frozen, but would like to have as much
as possible saved up in advance.

One thing you can do is pump every day at the same time to build up your
freezer stash. Your body will assume you need that much each day, so you're
making extra, in effect. Most moms have the best luck in the mornings.

-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old October 13th 06, 08:08 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nikki

"PattyMomVA" wrote in message

One thing you can do is pump every day at the same time to build up your
freezer stash. Your body will assume you need that much each day, so
you're making extra, in effect. Most moms have the best luck in the
mornings.

That is what worked for me. With my singletons I'd pump first thing in the
morning, regardless of when they last nursed. They were still fine. After
about two weeks I really started to produce a lot at that time for the pump.
I had a large freezer stash for both of them.

I had a harder time doing that with the twins.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old October 18th 06, 06:21 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've been a bit better the last couple of days with pumping early in
the morning, and have been managing to put aside roughly 4 ounces a
day. My daughter is starting to get in the habit of sleeping long
enough that I get engorged (6-7 hours), then waking around 4 AM and
only nursing from one side before falling asleep. I've been too sore
on the other side to go back to sleep anyway, so that's when I've been
pumping...

Hopefully I'll have enough put away that I can avoid having to
supplement with formula like I did with my first two children... And
if I do need to supplement, I should be able to put it off for quite a
while!

-Karyl