Non-junk food and candy Halloween ideas?

Old September 26th 06, 12:42 AM posted to misc.kids
Cathy Weeks

Default Non-junk food and candy Halloween ideas?

toto wrote:
On 25 Sep 2006 11:02:36 -0700, "Cathy Weeks"
wrote:

I took my daughter to a parade a couple of weeks ago, and the people in
the parade were tossing so much candy, that I saw kids going home with
bags as big as I used to get in an evening of trick or treating! My
daughter got to eat so much just while we were there, that I had no
trouble convincing her to give away her leftovers, and she willingly
handed it to some other kid.

Honestly, do you live in Louisiana?

Nope. Small town on the outskirts of of Minneapolis. Sigh...

Cathy Weeks

Old September 26th 06, 09:08 AM posted to misc.kids
-L.

Cathy Weeks wrote:

Most recently, we started giving a ride to a little girl who lives a
couple of blocks from us so that she could go to preschool - her
parents run the Chinese restaurant in town, and pre-school came during
the lunch rush - they just couldn't get her to and from school. So my
daughter teacher asked us if we'd give the little girl a ride. Sure.
No problem - they are neighbors, and it adds all of about 2 minutes to
our commute to and from school (the restaurant is on the way). So,
they start giving my daughter candy as a thank-you!! ARGGGG. It might
be a cultural barrier thing - I dunno, but what's wrong with them just
saying thank-you, and me thinking that that's what neighbors are for?
To take care of each other. Neither my daughter nor I need rewards for
being good people.

The candy thing might be partially cultural. We have a lot of friends
who are Chinese nationals and they seem to share food a lot although
it's not usually candy.

My daughter also happens to be a cute kid - dimples, red hair that
curls into ringlets so she looks like a cross between Shirley temple
and Orphan Annie, so people are always thrusting candy at her.
Appreciated are the people who ask me first before offering it.

OMG - you described me as a kid!! I was called "Annie" my entire life.

I don't have a problem with Halloween. I intend to take my daughter
trick-or-treating, and letting her go for as many years as she wants
to. Once a year is really no big deal. But there is just so much
candy around. No matter what *I* want, it isn't just an occasional
treat anymore.

Sigh... I'll quit ranting now.

Oh I totally agree. We came back from a trip today (well, now I guess
it was yesterday, since it's 1AM...) and we were on a plane. DS was
thirsty - normally we would have brought our own juice but we couldn't
because of the FAA rules in place, and he had drunk all of his milk.
He was *really* upset and crying and the lady in front of me tried to
hand us a pack of M&M's. While I thought the gesture was very nice,
who in their right mind would give a 2.5 year old M&Ms...especially on
a plane? Can you say "caffeine and sugar buzz?" LOL...
I hate that "shove candy at them mentality".

(Once DS got some juice he was fine, BTW.

-L.

Old September 27th 06, 09:54 AM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

In article . com,
"-L." wrote:

He was *really* upset and crying and the lady in front of me tried to
hand us a pack of M&M's. While I thought the gesture was very nice,
who in their right mind would give a 2.5 year old M&Ms...especially on
a plane? Can you say "caffeine and sugar buzz?" LOL...
I hate that "shove candy at them mentality".

And what about the turbulence-and-choking aspect?!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old September 27th 06, 03:56 PM posted to misc.kids
K -- mom of 3

-L. wrote:
I really don't want to hand out sugar-laden snacks. What do others do?
last year I bought some mini Play-Dohs but I am afraid some parents
might have a tizzy...
TIA for any ideas.

-L.

For the past few years I've started a box when I've collected kids'
meal toys, trinkets that my kids got from birthday parties, bead
necklaces, etc. and that's what I've given out. I've also included
candy since our neighborhood is so large and I typically run out of the
toys and I'm not opposed to the candy. The kids love it and tell the
others as they walk down the street which house is giving toys. I love
it because they are something that I already have (free!) and I get to
clean out the toy boxes and baskets around the house and get rid of
stuff!

I love the glowstick idea, though. That may be in my future.

Of course, my own children think that the house in the neighborhood
that gives out microwave popcorn packets is the cool house! But I
don't want to get into that kind of cost.

Halloween Do's and DON'Ts from America's Favorite Grandma! Grandmother Henrietta Hickey General 0 October 16th 05 08:25 PM
Halloween Do's and DON'Ts from America's Favorite Grandma! Grandmother Henrietta Hickey Solutions 0 October 16th 05 08:25 PM
Junk Food Nation Haley General 4 August 15th 05 11:08 PM
Junk Food Nation Haley Kids Health 4 August 15th 05 11:08 PM
Schwarzenegger urges that soda and junk food be banned in public schools [email protected] General 44 January 25th 05 02:50 PM