What's the impact of dressing our children as adults?

Old June 14th 06, 05:22 PM posted to misc.kids

Default What's the impact of dressing our children as adults?

I have a question I'd LOVE feedback on...

What's the impact of dressing our children as adults...
on the child?
on the adult?
as a society?

I have a few comments and pictures at
http://redeemingchildhood.blogspot.com.

Please share your comments!
Thanks.

Old June 14th 06, 06:56 PM posted to misc.kids

In article om,
says...

I have a question I'd LOVE feedback on...

What's the impact of dressing our children as adults...
on the child?
on the adult?
as a society?

I have a few comments and pictures at
http://redeemingchildhood.blogspot.com.

You're front and center with your pictures, and you're sending unsolicited posts
hawking your website.

And you say you're concerned about the children...

Uh-HUH.

Scumbag.

Banty

Old June 14th 06, 07:57 PM posted to misc.kids

"Banty" wrote in message
In article om,
says...

I have a question I'd LOVE feedback on...

What's the impact of dressing our children as adults...
on the child?
on the adult?
as a society?

I have a few comments and pictures at
http://redeemingchildhood.blogspot.com.

You're front and center with your pictures, and you're sending unsolicited
posts
hawking your website.

And you say you're concerned about the children...

Uh-HUH.

Scumbag.

Banty

I agree.

I'm still somewhat confused on the question, if it really was a question.
DS has been known to wear a blazer or something, dress very similar to the
first boy, and my brother, 15 years ago, around 2-3 years of age, would
always *want* to wear a suit with a tie - very much like the second boy! (I
can remember very clearly he had similar clothes but in a baby blue that
he'd always *like* and request to wear)
I have a thing for when I dress mine... I dunno... We have our clothes, and
then we have our play clothes.
Scumbag is an appropriate choice of word

Old June 14th 06, 08:06 PM posted to misc.kids

My question is to start a conversation about the impact of dressing
kids like adults. I have really been hit hard in my conviction about
how we dress kids in adult-like outfits but are outraged over
pediphilia.

Is there any responsibility there on behalf of us parents to present
our children like the children they are - rather than the adults they
will become? Is it a responsibility of us as a society to be outraged
over the explotation of our children in advertising?

I'd really appreciate an honest discussion - even if you disagree with
me.

xkatx wrote:
"Banty" wrote in message
In article om,
says...

Old June 14th 06, 08:58 PM posted to misc.kids

That makes no sense. Ignore the website. What does that have to do
with anything, anyway?

Besides, you can't have a conversation about something you don't even
believe exists. The pictures I have put up are simply illustrating my
point. If you don't like it, ignore it.

But don't try sabatoge a very good conversation with your demands.

Since watching Dateline's To Catch A Predator, I've wondered how we, as
a society unknowing, participate in this. Do we push the buttons of
those who already have sick tendencies?

"Society cannot claim to abhor the sexual abuse and exploitation of
children in pornography and yet allow the portrayal of children as
sexualized objects in the popular press and in advertising." -
Pornography: Women, Violence and Civil Liberties,Catherine Itzin,
"Images of Children in the Media," Michael Elliott, 1992.

Banty wrote:
In article . com,
says...

My question is to start a conversation about the impact of dressing
kids like adults. I have really been hit hard in my conviction about
how we dress kids in adult-like outfits but are outraged over
pediphilia.

Is there any responsibility there on behalf of us parents to present
our children like the children they are - rather than the adults they
will become? Is it a responsibility of us as a society to be outraged
over the explotation of our children in advertising?

I'd really appreciate an honest discussion - even if you disagree with
me.

It's not about disagreeing or agreeing.

Take the damn pictures off your website, and then come back if you really want a
discussion. What you do will reveal what you are.

Banty (watch what they do, not what they say)

Old June 14th 06, 09:00 PM posted to misc.kids

Hi --

Through most of history, children have been dressed just like adults
(once they could walk, anyway). The concept of childhood as a
*separate* stage of life started, as I recall, around the early 19th
century. So the consequences of dressing children like adults? Perhaps
irrelevant, since they don't have the rights and responsibilities of
adults.

If you find this thread of interest you might want to see if you can get
your hands on a copy of "Pricing the Priceless Child".

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old June 14th 06, 09:20 PM posted to misc.kids

In article . com,
" wrote:

My question is to start a conversation about the impact of dressing
kids like adults. I have really been hit hard in my conviction about
how we dress kids in adult-like outfits but are outraged over
pediphilia.

It depends -- are you really talking about "adult like" clothing -- ie,
boys in suits and ties, girls in nice dresses with some sort of leggings
and maybe Mary Janes -- or are you talking about the slut puppy look
that I don't even think is appropriate on grownups?

I have no problem with kids having dress up clothes that are very
similar to what a responsible adult might wear to, say, a funeral (or
church or something like that). I can't imagine that that encourages
pedophelia.

However, I don't think it'a appropriate for a pre-adolescent person to
be dressed in a way that is heavily sexualized, nor do I think you'll
find a lot of people in this newsgroup who do think it's appropriate.

Is there any responsibility there on behalf of us parents to present
our children like the children they are - rather than the adults they
will become? Is it a responsibility of us as a society to be outraged
over the explotation of our children in advertising?j

That's a different issue.

Old June 14th 06, 09:35 PM posted to misc.kids

Dragonlady,
I'm talking about adult clothing (originally made for adults) but
miniturized.

Like, for example, having 8 year olds wear little pants with the word
"cutie" on the butt. They were originally made for adults and college
students. Now, kids as small as 6 can wear things that bring attention
to their fanny.

Of course, children's clothing is influenced by fashion. But to the
extent where children are no longer wearing uniquely childish clothing
(mary janes and tights) and more "fashionable" clothing (like that
found at LimitedToo), I am concerned.

I'm concerned both because clothing manufacturers are making
them....parents are putting them on their kids (and calling it
cute)...kids want to be teenagers in kindergarten...and advertisers are
using adult-looking children to sell their products (see Kenneth Cole's
Reaction ads).

Any thoughts?

Old June 14th 06, 09:39 PM posted to misc.kids

Beth,
You are absolutely right about kids wearing adult clothing int he 19th
century. I'm currently researching more about that.

I do think you have an interesting point. However, do you really think
having children dress as adults is irrelevant when kids do not have the
rights and responsbilities of adults?

I wonder if, because they are dressed as adults, we have begun, as a
society, to treat them as adults - allowing them to do things earlier
and earlier - such as letting them put on makeup in elementary school
and giving them their own cellphones. Kids are definitely into sex and
alcohol earlier than before.

What do you think?

Thanks for the book recommendation. I'll definitely look into it!