Summertime Videos to Watch?

Old August 11th 06, 07:36 PM posted to misc.kids
ericastutz

Default Summertime Videos to Watch?

Can anybody recommend any videos or dvds that are "family-friendly?" for
the summertime.....they are starting to get super restless!!!!!

I have 3 children and their ages range from 3-10.

Thanks Erica

Old August 11th 06, 07:39 PM posted to misc.kids
user

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 14:36:46 -0400, ericastutz wrote:
Can anybody recommend any videos or dvds that are "family-friendly?" for
the summertime.....they are starting to get super restless!!!!!

I have 3 children and their ages range from 3-10.

We just watched Chitty Chitty Bang Bang with my 3 and 5 year olds.
They both loved it, as did my wife and I. :-)

- Rich

--
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
http://www.mulveyfamily.com/kids

Old August 12th 06, 12:36 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

"ericastutz" wrote in message
lkaboutparenting.com...
Can anybody recommend any videos or dvds that are "family-friendly?" for
the summertime.....they are starting to get super restless!!!!!

I have 3 children and their ages range from 3-10.

In my town, they have movies outside at night in the town park on occaison.
I recommend seeing if you have something like that.

The other thing I like is netflix. I have it. I get three DVD at a time. You
get get plans with more DVDs. You can get new DVDs almost everyday. You
watch them and return them the day after you get them. When you select kid
friendly movies netflix recmmends other kid-friendly movies. You can also
involve the kids in the selection of the movies.

Doing this will: 1) get your kids to get the mail regularly, 2) keep your
kids busy watching a new DVD every day, 3) engage your kids in making real
choices, 4) force your kids to show some responsibility by return the DVDs
on a timely fashion.

For three DVDs it costs about $20/month. If you watch the DVDs and return
them the day after you get them, the turn-around is about 4 days for each
DVD (get the DVD today, return it tomorrow, they get DVD next day and mail
DVD the same day, you get DVD next day), which means about 5 new DVDs per
week (with weekends). That comes out to a little more than $1 per DVD. And
if the kids particularly like a DVD, you can buy it for your library. (If
you can return the DVDs the same day you get them, say, you walk it back to
the post-office or send your kids, the turnaround is about one DVD every 3
days.) You can also get plans with more DVDs. ANd you can change plans, so
maybe you have more DVDs in the summer, and less in the winter or even none
during the school year.

Jeff

Thanks Erica

Old August 13th 06, 06:02 AM posted to misc.kids
L.

ericastutz wrote:
Can anybody recommend any videos or dvds that are "family-friendly?" for
the summertime.....they are starting to get super restless!!!!!

I have 3 children and their ages range from 3-10.

Thanks Erica

Charlotte's Web, Robots, Monsters, Inc., Toy Story Series, Matilda,
Mouse Hunt, Finding Nemo, Harriet the Spy, Spirit Stallion of the
Cimmaron (although parts of this are not suitable for younger kids,
IMO), Elmo in Grouchland, CinderElmo (both Elmo movies are really
good), Benji series, Casper. That's just off the top of my head.

-L.

Old August 13th 06, 05:20 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

"L." wrote in message
ups.com...

ericastutz wrote:
Can anybody recommend any videos or dvds that are "family-friendly?" for
the summertime.....they are starting to get super restless!!!!!

I have 3 children and their ages range from 3-10.

Thanks Erica

Charlotte's Web, Robots, Monsters, Inc., Toy Story Series, Matilda,
Mouse Hunt, Finding Nemo, Harriet the Spy, Spirit Stallion of the
Cimmaron (although parts of this are not suitable for younger kids,
IMO), Elmo in Grouchland, CinderElmo (both Elmo movies are really
good), Benji series, Casper. That's just off the top of my head.

You can get a read along version of Toy Story and Monster's Inc. Not sure
what they are about.

Ants, A Bug's Life, Bambi, Apollo 13, Stuart Little, Home Alone series, The
Walton's and Little House on the Praire, Cheaper by the 12, The Polar
Express, Beethoven, Ninja Turrles, Mighty Ducks, Madagascar, Lion King, Free
Willey, The Hobbit are others. Cartoons like Bugs Bunny are also available.
And don't forget singalone tapes for the younger crowd.

When you go into a friend's or relative's house, ask to see their video
collection. Also, look at the video collection at your local library.

And, if you join Blockbuster, they send movies out (just like I described
for Netflix), but you also get one rental and a bricks and mortor store
(which is the lanquage they use for a real building rather than over the
internet).

Jeff

-L.

Old August 13th 06, 08:54 PM posted to misc.kids
Susan

Movies that my almost 4-year-old are really in to right now are the
VeggieTales movies. He asks to watch them over and over, and really
learns everyday values from watching them. They are religious, but not
terribly so that non-religious people would necessarily find them
offensive. My son actually applies things he sees on the videos to
everyday life, for example, one of the episodes was about "angry
eyebrows", and he reminds me when I get upset not to hold on to my
anger....basically that I need to get over things because there's
nothing I can do at a certain point.

There are TONS and TONS of episodes, both in digital animation and
traditional cartoon format. Many churches in our area have a lending
library of these movies for free, as well as libraries, video stores,
and they are sold at Walmart as well. I even got a few at yardsales
over the summer. There is also a whole range of toys and books to go
along with these movies, just like with any other "popular" series, but
I prefer these because they promote values and morals rather than
violence or other not-so-nice stuff.

We also do a lot of Disney movies. My sons favorites at the moment are
Lilo and Stitch (there are at least 3 movies in this series), the Toy
Story series, Garfield, Bugs Life, Pooh (at least 3 movies in this
series as well), Shrek (2 movies), and MANY others......we have quite
an extensive kids movie library, mainly because we like watching them
as well, so I am sure even your 10-year-old will enjoy them.

Hope this helps

Susan

Old August 20th 06, 09:03 PM posted to misc.kids
ericastutz

Thanks:

Rich, Jeff, L. and Susan.

Susan - I have heard about Veggietales and will check it out.

My mother heard an advertisement for something that TiVo now has called
KidZone that is supposed to filter and recommend. Has anybody heard about
this?

Erica S.

Old August 20th 06, 09:23 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

ericastutz wrote:

My mother heard an advertisement for something that TiVo now has called
KidZone that is supposed to filter and recommend. Has anybody heard about
this?

Tivo is a digital video recorder. You have to
buy the Tivo itself and also subscribe to the monthly service
(or pay for a lifetime membership). Tivo records the
shows you tell it to record, and also recommendations,
and keeps them in a playlist for you to view when you want.
KidZone just password protects the parents' playlist
and creates a special kids' playlist where only approved
shows are displayed. Tivo will decide what's allowed
if you specify the child's age, or you can override its
recommendations. On their website they have programming
guides from some organizations like Common Sense Media
or Parents' Choice Foundation and you can set your Tivo
up to record those recommendations if you like.
Tivo is a convenient way to have children's
programming on tap when you feel like watching it, rather
than whenever it's being broadcast. Some cable companies
provide DVR services without having to buy additional
equipment or pay additional service fees. There are also
other DVRs you can buy. Whether or not such a service
is worth it to you depends on your situation and preferences.

Best wishes,
Ericka