Medications while BFing?

Old January 5th 07, 07:41 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

Default Medications while BFing?

The last few days I've been feeling kind of sick. I've been sneezing like
there's no tomorrow and my nose is so plugged up. My eyes are constantly
watering, oh, and my nose is so plugged! Did I mention I've been feeling
like garbage lately??

I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can take something like Neo Citran. I
know this can't be taken while pg, but is it alright while breastfeeding? I
can't keep feeling like this all day and all night for much longer... The
box says not to take while pregnant, but it says nothing about breastfeeding

Old January 5th 07, 05:54 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Gorgon Park

xkatx wrote:
The last few days I've been feeling kind of sick. I've been sneezing like
there's no tomorrow and my nose is so plugged up. My eyes are constantly
watering, oh, and my nose is so plugged! Did I mention I've been feeling
like garbage lately??

I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can take something like Neo Citran. I
know this can't be taken while pg, but is it alright while breastfeeding? I
can't keep feeling like this all day and all night for much longer... The
box says not to take while pregnant, but it says nothing about breastfeeding

On their website, it just says for "Pregnancy and Lactation" consult a
doctor.
http://www.neocitran.ca/products/es_cough.htm

If you are looking for some non-medicinal ways of clearing up a nose,
try making your own lemon drink: juice of half a lemon (or a couple of
tablespoons of RealLemon), some honey to taste, add hot water and
drink.

Also, steam is supposed to be better at clearing up a stuffy nose than
any over the counter medication. Have a hot shower or a hot bath,
after the kids have gone to bed. Get as much rest as you can -
probably a challenge with 4 kids! Pharmacies will also sell saline
nose squirter things. Those are non-medicinal and supposed to help by
washing out the congestion.

Good luck!
Stacey

Old January 6th 07, 04:28 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Notchalk

On 2007-01-06 01:54:41 +0800, "Gorgon Park" said:

xkatx wrote:
[...]

Isn't Fenugreek supposed to help with respiratory congestion, too??

Can only be good for the milk supply!

Jo

--
Woman, Wife, Mother, Midwife

Old January 6th 07, 09:08 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jess

"xkatx" wrote in message
The last few days I've been feeling kind of sick. I've been sneezing like
there's no tomorrow and my nose is so plugged up. My eyes are constantly
watering, oh, and my nose is so plugged! Did I mention I've been feeling
like garbage lately??

I'm fond of mucinex and benadryl. Not together, obviously, but yeah.
Actually, NTITOI, Mucinex might have something with an antihistamine in it.

Jess

Old January 7th 07, 06:38 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

On 2007-01-06 01:54:41 +0800, "Gorgon Park" said:

xkatx wrote:
[...]

I have no clue... Maybe? The guy at the health food store said that it's
good for a number of things.

Can only be good for the milk supply!

Well, not long ago, I was taking it religiously. I do think it was working.
Now that I've been feeling kind of really sick, I haven't been. I spent
most of yesterday in bed... From about noon until about 8pm. DH took care
of the older ones. DD2 spent a good portion of the afternoon sleeping and
snoozing with me, then later she went down with everyone else and DH brought
her up to bed with me when she was hungry. I've noticed since yesterday
that I feel A LOT fuller. Last night I had to try to force DD2 to eat for
my own sanity. She wouldn't eat much once she had already eaten an hour
earlier. When she woke up for her regular feed, I felt like I had giant
melons attached to my body. When I fed her today about half an hour ago,
once again, melon city. She had a hard time getting on and her latch wasn't
the best. She did fine, though, and she got a good latch, as usual, after
about 5 mins of draining a little.
All I've taken was 2 Tylenol. I feel a lot better today when compared to
yesterday, but I always feel so full that it's almost painful.

Jo

--
Woman, Wife, Mother, Midwife