Morgan's 2 Month Checkup. What to Expect?

Old May 23rd 04, 07:30 PM
Carol Ann

Default Morgan's 2 Month Checkup. What to Expect?

Is it true she will have 5 shot and that they are given all separately?

What can I expect afterwards? What can I expect during the checkup?

~Carol Ann
Mom to Morgan born 3.24.04
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBNnDdizZNneg ---Pictures!

Old May 23rd 04, 08:38 PM
Coccinella

I had the 2 months visit almost 2 ww ago. The shots were only three (for 5
vaccinations). The one with 3 vaccines is in one leg and the other 2 on the
other leg. I held Alexandra in my arms during the shots and she did much
better than I did! The pediatrician also checked her lungs, ears and the
usual. It was basically similar to the 2 ww appt. Instead of drwing blood
they gave her the shots (although this time she didn't poop!!!! Big plus for
all the adults in the small room!).
After the shots Alexandra was fine. She actually slept a bit more than
usual. No pain, rashes or anything else. I remember DH and I wanted to give
her a treat because she was so good, so he took the afternoon off and we
went for a long drive and a long stay in Starbucks. Riding in the car and
Starbucks are Alexandra's favourite things. Go figure Starbucks. With all
the noise of blenders and grinders she falls asleep!
Got to run. She is demanding food!

Love
--
Nicky

Proud mamma to Alexandra (03/22/2004)

Old May 23rd 04, 09:30 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Carol Ann wrote:

Is it true she will have 5 shot and that they are given all separately?

Depends on the caregivers. It could be five separate
jabs. I find it helps a little to give them Tylenol before
the appointment and then keep it up for 24 hours or so.

What can I expect afterwards? What can I expect during the checkup?

The checkup should include the usual measurements
(height, weight, head circ., maybe chest circ.). They
should check heart and lungs, eyes and ears and nose,
reflexes, that sort of thing. They should ask how she's
doing and give you a heads up about the sorts of things
you should expect before the next checkup. Shots are
usually at the end.
Afterwards, she may be a bit sore and tired from
the shots. As I said, I usually keep up the Tylenol for
24 hours and they usually sleep a bit more than usual.
Other than that, it's generally been business as usual
for mine.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 24th 04, 06:22 PM
libbymom04

On Libby's 2 month checkup, she got 5 shots. The nurses(2 on each side) did
them at the same time. Libby cried for about 5 minutes and I chimmed right
in. As soon as we left I gave her some tylenol and she slept for a long
time. I had to give her tylenol almost every 4 hours for two days and then
she got better. Not a fun day.
Kimberly
DD Libby 03/03/03

Old May 24th 04, 09:17 PM
Jamie Clark

You know, I've seen a few people recommend Tylenol, but I'd recommend that
you do nothing for this first shot, and see how she reacts. Taylor (or I)
have never had a real problem with shots -- I mean, she cries, sure, but
then she settles quickly. Her first set of shots was the multiples, 4 I
think, and the doctor was very fast, and got her twice in each thigh. He
has her sitting supported on the padded table for the shots, then I pick her
up and soothe her right away afterwards. She always calmed within seconds
or at worst, a few minutes. She's never had any reactions to her shots --
never super sleepy, never got any red spots, never got a fever, etc. At her
last set of shots when she was 14 months old, I swear, he did the shots so
fast, then distracted her with a sticker, that she never cried at all. It
was awesome!

I'd start by just seeing what happens. First and foremost -- you stay calm.
Pick her up as soon as the shots are given, offer her the breast, and talk
to her. If she seems to not be able to soothe, or seems to have a reaction
to the shots later that day (fever, sleepiness, rash or something), then of
course, you can dose her with Tylenol. But she could be like Taylor and not
react. Personally, I don't see the need to pre-dose without knowing how the
child will react. I have no problem pre-dosing if you know your child
doesn't react well, or doesn't soothe easily, but if you don't know yet,
wait and see.
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03