The shock, joy of multiples

Old July 29th 04, 06:19 PM
Mike

Default The shock, joy of multiples

The shock, joy of multiples
Having twins means double the joy but also double — or more — the work
and complications, parents of twins say. They and doctors agree that a
well-informed family will be better prepared to deal with, and
prevent, some of the emotional, physical and practical strains of
carrying, delivering and caring for twins.
at http://www.washtimes.com/familytimes...5248-9569r.htm

Two of a kind? of everything
Though mothers of multiples can expect to buy and need more stuff than
mothers of singles, many of them say it's not necessary to buy two of
everything.
at http://www.washtimes.com/familytimes...5243-9757r.htm

MORE INFO:
BOOKS --
- "EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW TO HAVE A HEALTHY TWIN PREGNANCY,"
BY GILA LEITER WITH RACHEL KRANZ, DELL PUBLISHING CO., 2000. THIS BOOK
PROVIDES A STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE THROUGH THE PROCESSES OF PREGNANCY AND
BIRTH OF MULTIPLES. IT ALSO PROVIDES INFORMATION ABOUT THE LATEST
FERTILITY TREATMENTS, WHAT TO EXPECT TRIMESTER BY TRIMESTER, HOW TO
AVOID PRETERM LABOR AND PREMATURE DELIVERY, FACTS ABOUT HAVING A
CAESAREAN SECTION AND WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BRING BABIES HOME. IT OFFERS
CONCRETE SUGGESTIONS FOR WORKING THROUGH HOPES, FEARS AND FANTASIES.
- "READY OR NOT ... HERE WE COME! THE REAL EXPERTS'
CANNOT-LIVE-WITHOUT GUIDE TO THE FIRST YEAR WITH TWINS," BY ELIZABETH
LYONS, FINN-PHYLLIS PRESS, 2003. THIS IS A HUMOROUS GUIDE TO RAISING
TWINS.
- "TWINS! EXPERT ADVICE FROM TWO PRACTICING PHYSICIANS ON
PREGNANCY, BIRTH AND THE FIRST YEAR OF LIFE WITH TWINS," BY CONNIE L.
AGNEW, ALAN H. KLEIN AND JILL A. GANON, HARPERCOLLINS PUBLISHERS,
1997. THIS BOOK COVERS THE PHYSICAL, MEDICAL, EMOTIONAL AND
PSYCHOLOGICAL ISSUES INVOLVED IN HAVING TWINS.
- "MOTHERING MULTIPLES: BREASTFEEDING & CARING FOR TWINS OR MORE,"
BY KAREN KERKHOFF GROMADA, LA LECHE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL, 1999. THIS
BOOK REASSURES MOTHERS THAT BREAST-FEEDING AND CARING FOR MULTIPLES
JUST TAKES A LITTLE MORE TIME THAN CARING FOR A SINGLETON. IT ALSO
PROVIDES GUIDANCE ON HOW TO TAP THE RESOURCES IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD AND
AMONG FAMILY AND FRIENDS.
ASSOCIATIONS --
- THE NATIONAL ORGANIZATION OF MOTHERS OF TWINS CLUBS, PO BOX 438,
THOMPSON STATION, TN 37179. PHONE: 615/595-0936. WEB SITE:
WWW.NOMOTC.ORG. THIS NATIONAL NONPROFIT GROUP PROVIDES SUPPORT FOR
PARENTS OF TWINS AND OTHER MULTIPLES AND HAS SEVERAL CHAPTERS IN THE
WASHINGTON AREA. THE CHAPTERS CAN SET UP AN EXPECTANT MOTHER WITH A
"BIG SISTER," AN EXPERIENCED MOTHER OF TWINS.
ONLINE --
- BABYCENTER (WWW.BABYCENTER.COM), WHICH IS BASED IN SAN FRANCISCO
AND IS A MEMBER OF THE JOHNSON & JOHNSON FAMILY OF COMPANIES, PROVIDES
INFORMATION ABOUT BEING PREGNANT WITH TWINS, DELIVERING AND CARING FOR
TWINS. IT ALSO HAS ARTICLES ON HOW TO GET TWINS ON THE SAME SLEEPING
AND FEEDING SCHEDULE AND TIPS ON HOW TO TRAVEL WITH TWINS.
- THE WEB SITE WWW.TWINSLIST.ORG, WHICH IS HOSTED AT THE
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA, OFFERS A NEWS GROUP FOR PARENTS OF
TWINS AND HIGHER-ORDER MULTIPLES, SUCH AS TRIPLETS. ASIDE FROM ONLINE
DISCUSSIONS, IT PROVIDES INFORMATION ON TOPICS INCLUDING BED REST,
SIBLINGS OF TWINS, COPING WITH MULTIPLE INFANTS AND CHILD-PROOFING FOR
MULTIPLES. IT ALSO PROVIDES A RESOURCE LIST.
Old July 30th 04, 06:02 AM
Digital Larry

Not having anything to compare to since our boys are our first and only, I
am a little baffled how people can stand to have only one at a time. I
know they did not luck out and hit the jackpot but it just seems so sad to
me. I am only kidding a little bit here folks!

Old July 30th 04, 12:48 PM
Jack H.

"Digital Larry" wrote in message
.11...
Not having anything to compare to since our boys are our first and only, I
am a little baffled how people can stand to have only one at a time. I
know they did not luck out and hit the jackpot but it just seems so sad to
me. I am only kidding a little bit here folks!

You know, I sometimes feel the same way.

With Abby and Little J, the bond is so strong, it is fun to watch them
interact and in those fun moments I forget about the envy that I have for
every mother who just has one little one in the stroller.
I meet MANY grown twins (the brother and sister who work side by side at the
post office at age 30 come to mind) and they all say the bond is
indescribable.

I feel so happy knowing that they will have each other for company for as
long as the fates deem.

Then there are the other times where you are pulled in 2 directions at once
all day! That is when I am envious of the mother of a singleton. The joy she
must feel devoting all of her attention to just one baby, well I make a joke
out of that to all the parents I talk to.

I say, "One baby??
That is a coffee break for me!"

Jack
Abigail and Jonathan 9-10-02

Old August 2nd 04, 11:13 PM
Ellen Kmetz

I say, "One baby??
That is a coffee break for me!"

That is a great saying, Jack And so true!!

Ellen
--------
Erin 6/26/95
Bradley & Alex 10/5/00

Old August 7th 04, 05:00 AM
The Huwe Family

Wonder what they do with all their free time?? ;-)

Gayle
Mom of Triplets 10 1/2 mo old.