How to stop an ongoing asthma attack with Strelnikova exercise

Old June 26th 07, 04:50 PM posted to alt.support.asthma,misc.kids.health,misc.health.alternative
Evgenij Barsukov

Default How to stop an ongoing asthma attack with Strelnikova exercise

I have received many requests to describe stopping an ongoing
asthma attack, and while I have done it myself with 3 different kids
with relatively mild cases and have seen it working,
I thought I will give you word out of the horses mouth by the
practitioner with much more experience, who is also an M.D., Michael
Shetining.

This is my translation from an excerpt of Michael Shetining's book
about Strelnikova exercise, original (Russian) is he
http://moldovacc.md/vasangela/Breathing.htm
Mind you, I am not a professional translator...

********************
How to stop an Asthma attack (Shetinin method):

Sit straight, press the palms against the knees and do similar to the
exercise "push down (also called "pump")" (exercise 3), but do it
while sitting instead of standing. Do 2 or 4 loud short sniffs. Do not
get completely straight and by no means lean backwards.

Bend slightly forward (head lowered, hands are bend in elbows) – loud
short sniff (like a clap with hands). Then slightly straighten up, but
do not get completely straight (hands are still on the knees, elbows
are also slightly straightening) – breath out through either nose and
mouth, it should not be audible or conscious. Again immediately
slightly bend forward with lowered head – do sharp loud sniff. Again
slightly straighten out – breath out went away through the nose or
mouth completely passive. After doing 2 sniffs-moves,
have a rest of a few seconds (3-5-7, but not more), and than do 2
sniff-moves or 4-sniff-moves (bends) in a row. And again have rest
after each 2 or 4 sniff-moves.

You do not need to count how many sniffs you made. Count mentally only
each 2 or 4 sniffs. Have a rest after every 2 or 4 sniffs up to 10
seconds. Sniff like this during 10 – 15 minutes – until the attach
stops and you will feel relief.

If you feels so bad that even the sniff while bending forward does not
help, sit straight, slightly bending forward, head is freely bend down
(looking towards the floor), elbows
are freely laying on the knees, back is round. Without any movements
just do loud and short sniffs 2 times and rest few seconds after each
2 sniffs (without movements). Remember that breath out should go away
after each sniff unnoticed, without your help. Send your sniff
mentally towards your back, your waist – up to the maximal volume of
the lungs. Strictly assure that your shoulders do not raise and do not
jerk during each sniff.

Good attack stopping effect gives the exercise "push downs" (exercise
3). I recommend before staring doing this exercise, wear a wide belt
on the waist. It should be strictly on the waist, but not on the hips.
You can alternatively wear long scarf or a towel around your waist.
Wear it tight (so that it does not dangle) but not too tight so it
does not press. And when you do the loud sniff (while sitting with the
head lowered down), press with the waist against the belt, feel it,
sending the sniff towards the back until the maximal dept of the lungs.

The breathing will certainly become easier.

You can also stop the asthma attack by doing exercise "hug the
shoulders" (5) and "head turns" (6). Both exercises should be done
while sitting. All exercises should be done 2 or 4 sniff-moves in a
row, without stopping. Than rest of up to 10 minutes and again 2 or 4
shiff-moves. And do so until you will feel relief.

Try first to do "the pump" (3). If you feel there is no improvement,
than do "hug the shoulders" and after that "head turns". If nothing
helps, than of cause, use inhalator or take some other medicine. This
means that your sickness is too advanced.

It does not mean however that it can not be helped with our breathing
exercise! If you could not stop the attack now – certainly try it
again next time. Try, fight the sickness! "You need to attack the
sickness and not defend yourself!" as A.N.Strelnikova was saying. The
day will come when you will be able to stop the attack with the exercise.

One of my lady patients told my this story. She was in a hurry to me
for an exercise practice, and so that she would not miss the bus, she
had to run a little. And after running, when she got into the bus, he
got an asthma attack. Without much thinking, she started doing one of
the exercises right there in the bus, in front of all the public.
After a few minutes the wheezing stopped.

"And what exercise did you do?" – I asked her. "Hug the shoulders",
Michael Nikolaevich! said the women, excited by her success.

*******************

For more info and video on Strelnikova exercise see
http://sudy_zhenja.tripod.com/strelnikova_exercises.htm

Regards,
Evgenij
Old June 26th 07, 05:29 PM posted to alt.support.asthma,misc.kids.health,misc.health.alternative
Jeff

This is not recommended. If you or your kid has asthma, talk with your
doctor. Don't go with a plan that was translated from Russian and
spammed to newsgroups.

Reported to:

Jeff
Old June 26th 07, 08:05 PM posted to alt.support.asthma,misc.kids.health,misc.health.alternative
Evgenij Barsukov

Jeff wrote:
Jeff wrote:
This is not recommended.

"Not recommended" by whom? You? Can you give general
recommendations to everybody without even seeing the patients?
Should you not live the recommendations to the treating doctor?
My material is just sharing personal exerience and resources
which can be considered by doctors or patients, but by no
means is a final recommendation.

If you or your kid has asthma, talk with your
doctor.

Of cause. Any link or literature that I have posted
always points this out.
However, nobody prevents you from doing other things
except what doctors recommend - such as for example doing
diet and excercise and not only taking cholesterol lowering
medications.
Strelnikova exercise is the kind of exercise that is proven
by clinical trials not to cause an asthma attack. So even if
you don't believe the evidence of its benefits on preventing
(if done regularly) and stopping an ongoing attack, you
can just use it as opportunity to have a physical activity
as such. Asthma sufferers are often deprived of physical
activity as it causes an attack, so this is a point to consider.

Don't go with a plan that was translated from Russian and
spammed to newsgroups.

This was not a "plan" (the plan itself involves exercise
every day and is on the web-site
http://sudy_zhenja.tripod.com/streln...exercises.htm),
this message was just a comment on a particular case - an ongoing attack.
Preferably Strelnikova exercise should be done once a day, because
it _prevents_ attacks if done so, as I experienced with my 4
year's old daughter who is now 7 and completely free of attacks.
Sharing personal experience is not a spam.

I am participating in usenet groups since 1993 and nobody have
ever accused me in spaming. You must be new and so you don't see a
difference between a cross-posting to several relevant (sic!) news groups
(which is a completely legitimate and useful practice) and
spaming which is promoting a commercial product. There is not
a single commercial element in anything I was referencing too.
I challenge you to find at least one thing that I am trying to sell.

Regards,
Evgenij
Old June 26th 07, 10:00 PM posted to alt.support.asthma,misc.kids.health,misc.health.alternative
Jeff

Evgenij Barsukov wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Jeff wrote:
This is not recommended.

"Not recommended" by whom? You? Can you give general
recommendations to everybody without even seeing the patients?

No, you can't.

Let's see, patients in another country based off a brochure that was
translated from another language?

That's a really bad idea.

Should you not live the recommendations to the treating doctor?

That would be fine.

My material is just sharing personal exerience and resources
which can be considered by doctors or patients, but by no
means is a final recommendation.

And you pick up money when buy stuff, too.

If you or your kid has asthma, talk with your
doctor.

Of cause. Any link or literature that I have posted
always points this out.
However, nobody prevents you from doing other things
except what doctors recommend - such as for example doing
diet and excercise and not only taking cholesterol lowering
medications.

Cholestrerol lowering drugs require a doctor's prescription.

[...]

Look at all the ads on the pages. Someone is making money.

jeff

Regards,
Evgenij

Old June 26th 07, 11:28 PM posted to alt.support.asthma,misc.kids.health,misc.health.alternative
Evgenij Barsukov

Jeff wrote:
Evgenij Barsukov wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Jeff wrote:
This is not recommended.

"Not recommended" by whom? You? Can you give general
recommendations to everybody without even seeing the patients?

No, you can't.

Let's see, patients in another country based off a brochure that was
translated from another language?

That's a really bad idea.

Should you not live the recommendations to the treating doctor?

That would be fine.

My material is just sharing personal exerience and resources
which can be considered by doctors or patients, but by no
means is a final recommendation.

And you pick up money when buy stuff, too.

There is no "stuff". None of my material is for sale.
The exercise is so easy to learn that you don't really
need any commercial product to learn it, simple text
description that is on my web-site is sufficient.
For people who don't like to
read I also put a video on youtube for it, also free.
Can't you believe somebody does something just to
help the kids?

If you or your kid has asthma, talk with your
doctor.

Of cause. Any link or literature that I have posted
always points this out.
However, nobody prevents you from doing other things
except what doctors recommend - such as for example doing
diet and excercise and not only taking cholesterol lowering
medications.

Cholestrerol lowering drugs require a doctor's prescription.

You are missing my point. It is that exercise and diet DOES NOT
need a prescription.

[...]

You must have never made a web-site using a free hosting.
It is a free hosting web-site (www.tripod.com), and they are putting
their own advertisement pop-ups for every user web-site that is there.
It is their way for paying for their servers, and completely non profit
(and annoying) for any users that host their web-sites with them.
Same way as google is putting advertisement for every search results,
or you tube is putting advertisement close to any users video. So from your
logic no content in the Internet is free, and all web-site authors
are commercial. This is an absurd idea. I am in no way responsible
for advertisements that the host is putting on my web-site.
If you can recommend me a free web-hosting that does not put advertisements,
I will gladly put the web-site there. I hate the pop-ups just like any
other man. Btw, any pop-up blocker present in any modern web-browser
would block them. So I for example rarely see them. What kind of web-browser
are you using, is it Mosaic?

Regards,
Evgenij

jeff

Regards,
Evgenij

Old June 27th 07, 12:03 AM posted to alt.support.asthma,misc.kids.health,misc.health.alternative
Jeff

Evgenij Barsukov wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Evgenij Barsukov wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Jeff wrote:
[...]

pages.google.com

Regards,
Evgenij

jeff

Regards,
Evgenij

Old June 29th 07, 11:16 PM posted to alt.support.asthma,misc.kids.health,misc.health.alternative
Evgenij Barsukov[_2_]

Jeff wrote:
Same way as google is putting advertisement for every search results,
or you tube is putting advertisement close to any users video. So from
your
logic no content in the Internet is free, and all web-site authors
are commercial. This is an absurd idea. I am in no way responsible
for advertisements that the host is putting on my web-site.
If you can recommend me a free web-hosting that does not put
advertisements,
I will gladly put the web-site there. I hate the pop-ups just like any
other man. Btw, any pop-up blocker present in any modern web-browser
would block them. So I for example rarely see them. What kind of
web-browser
are you using, is it Mosaic?

pages.google.com

Thank for the hint about excessive advertisement at tripod. I guess
I have stayed too long with them. It used to be an OK service 10 years
ago but they stayed behind. Now I refreshed my knowledge of the web-hosts.
I checked google but their service
is no good - you can not upload multiple files at once or upload
ready-made html web-sites, instead you are expected to use their on-line
tool to put together a site. That is of cause a blatant insult for
anybody who ever made a web-site before. I guess google web-service is a
publicity stunt. They wanted to say "we have a web-hosting" to impress
shareholders but did not want to actually dedicate resources to it
so they put a service which nobody would use.

After that I checked other services and found www.freehostia.com
which is great - it is also free of advertisement but they provide
you everything that a normal web-administrator needs - ftp access
etc. and 250MB space. Awesome! Now I put the strelnikova web-site
the
http://strelnikova.freehostia.com/
I will change all my links to this new web-site (while maintaining
the old one too as google search has the highest ranking for key-word
"strelnikova" on it right now).

Regards,
Evgenij
Old June 29th 07, 11:50 PM posted to alt.support.asthma,misc.kids.health,misc.health.alternative
Jeff

Evgenij Barsukov wrote:
Jeff wrote:
[...]

Actually, you can upload your own website using their tools.

It's a pain in the butt though.

I guess google web-service is a
publicity stunt. They wanted to say "we have a web-hosting" to impress
shareholders but did not want to actually dedicate resources to it
so they put a service which nobody would use.

I use it.

You get what you pay for.

You can get web hosting for like $2 per month. Or you might be able to
get hosting free as part of your ISP account (I get it with Verizon, not
sure about SW Bell).

Jeff

Old July 2nd 07, 03:37 PM posted to alt.support.asthma,misc.kids.health,misc.health.alternative
Evgenij Barsukov[_2_]

Jeff wrote:
Evgenij Barsukov wrote:
Jeff wrote:
[...]

The problem with using your ISP is that ISPs change (you get a better
deal, your ISP is bought as say recently comcast sold my cable to Time
Warner), but user awareness and google ratings for a web-site are
accumulating over many years.

At the other hand, as it turns out there are plenty of free hosts
that satisfy all the requirements, such as that quoted bellow,
and you can keep using them permanently.

Jeff