PDA

View Full Version : Book recommendations required!

Chookie
July 24th 03, 12:38 PM
At my TAFE college, we teach both catering and child studies, and so we have a
small selection of books on feeding babies and toddlers. I was weeding in
that area, and most of these books are officially out of date: they recommend
the introduction of solids at 4-6 months. Last month, the new Dietary
Guidelines for Australians were released, and they fiiiiiinally say
introduction of solids at or after 6 months. (And they say low-fat items are
fine after two years -- it used to be after four years of age.)

http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/publications/synopses/dietsyn.htm

Can anyone recommend new materials on feeding babies and toddlers, with the
current recommendation?

BTW, the Australian Breastfeeding Association gets a great plug in the "Food
for Health" information booklet, near the end:

http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/publications/pdf/n31.pdf

I don't think any other community organisation gets a mention in the text like
that. I'm happy!

The booklet is great for other reasons. I like the way it lays out the number
of serves of each food you need. I thought we were good vegie eaters, but we
still need to eat more! If we ate the recommended amounts of normal foods, we
wouldn't have room for much junk food...

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990

Ruth Shear
July 24th 03, 04:51 PM
G'day

Chookie wrote:

> we teach both catering and child studies

> Can anyone recommend new materials on feeding babies and toddlers

My favourite book on this topic (bought due to a recommendation on mkb
of course) is "Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense" by Ellyn
Satter.

DrRuth
busily packing, thank goodness DS decided to have a morning nap which he
never has anymore.

RDNZL
August 27th 03, 07:09 PM
T. Berry Brazelton's "Touchppoints" covers it all. But you asked for the
latest... I would still go with "Touchpoints". This unique book provides the
best roadmap for peace -- whoops, wrong topic -- the best overview of the
developing child of any book. A Brazelton book baby has good parents, period,
even if the kid starts to turn out to become a louse.
--
Daniel