PDA

View Full Version : Kinship care & adoption in Texas TDPRS, PRS Fw:

Fern5827
October 17th 03, 07:01 PM
Subject: More people adopting relatives' children
From: (LilMtnCbn)
Date: 10/9/2003 10:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time

http://news9sanantonio.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=5623

More people adopting relatives' children
10/8/2003 10:14 AM
By: Eileen Teves, News 9 San Antonio

Luis and Sandra Uribe adopted their niece's three young sons.
Two years ago, Luis and Sandra Uribe were faced with a tough decision. Should
they care for their niece's three young sons or leave it up to the state to
find a home? The couple decided to take them in.

"It was a lot -- so much pressure, a lot of times a burden," Sandra Uribe said.
"I had my trust in God, and I told him, you know, 'Let's just do it. Let's just
keep them.'"

When the Uribes found out there was no guarantee that the boys would stay
together, they couldn't stand the thought of letting them go.

Already in their 40s, the couple never thought about being parents again,
especially after caring for Sandra Uribe's older children. But they called
their new roles a blessing.

Adopting young relatives

The U.S. Census Bureau said more than 6 million children in the United States
call their grandparents, aunts or uncles "mom" or "dad."

"You would have to really know these kids," Luis Uribe said. "They grow on you.
I mean, people will always tell us, you know, 'You guys will be blessed for
what you've done.' My response is, 'We're blessed now.'"

The Uribes are just a few of the millions of Texans stepping up to help family
members care for their kids. Officials at Child Protective Services said that
they see those numbers growing as well as the financial and emotional
responsibilities.

"The relatives are left in a bind because they don't know where this parent is.
And technically they don't have any legal standing for this child," Irma
Palomino, a CPS supervisor, said.

So when relatives decide to adopt, Palomino said it's easier on the children.

More than 600,000 Texas children live in households where they call relatives
"mom" and "dad." Many of them come from parents fighting drug and alcohol
addictions.

Then there are some who simply cannot afford to care for their children. Luis
Uribe said that all he wants is to give his niece's boys another chance at a
happy home.

"The only thing I'd like to see when they grow up is they're good productive
citizens, God-fearing, God-loving, grown-up kids," he said.

CPS said there are programs available for newly adoptive parents who have to
face those new responsibilities.

http://www.tfra.com Texas family rights association. For those with
issues with TDPRS, PRS in TX.