PDA

View Full Version : Infant removed from house full of animals

Ron
November 8th 03, 04:49 AM
Infant removed from house full of animals

A 3-month-old boy was placed into protective custody Wednesday after
Nebraska Humane Society workers found at least eight cats and a number of
rodents in his Omaha home.

The Humane Society was checking the house at 529 S. 27th St. for an
unlicensed cattery, Omaha police said. Workers called police about 11:15
a.m. to check the well-being of the baby, whose parents also were at the
house.

In addition to the cats, several rats and gerbils were in the house, said
Officer Dave Volenec, a police spokesman.

"The house was in a state of disarray," he said. "The interior of the house
allegedly had animal feces inside (and) a large amount of trash."

Sgt. Kathy Gonzalez, another spokesman, said the house had no electricity
and was using propane heaters.

The child's parents were arrested on suspicion of child neglect and several
animal violations, including cruelty to animals and having unlicensed and
unvaccinated animals, she said.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u_pg=1636&u_sid=909246

Fern5827
November 8th 03, 01:07 PM
The cats were there to eat the mice!

Whenever the weather turns cold, field mice commonly invade homes. Why they
even invade your favorite eatery.

My guess is that up to 50% of homes have mice, especially if your home borders
a field. And we all know how cold it gets in Omaha.

Ron
November 9th 03, 03:50 AM
"Fern5827" > wrote in message
> The cats were there to eat the mice!

The law here states quite clearly that to have more than 3 pets (Dogs, Cats,
etc) in a home you must have a breeders license (Cattery License, Kennel
License, etc). The animals purpose is totally superfluous (IOW for you
plant, they don't give a dam about your reasons). It only takes one cat to
kill mice in a home, unless one owns a Taj Mahal. Very few of those here in
Omaha.

Your reasoning, as usual, is in error.

Ron

> Whenever the weather turns cold, field mice commonly invade homes. Why
they
> even invade your favorite eatery.
>
> My guess is that up to 50% of homes have mice, especially if your home
borders
> a field. And we all know how cold it gets in Omaha.

Simons Mom
November 9th 03, 03:27 PM
I have 4 dogs and 3 cats and plan on another dog or two. As long as the
house is clean whcih it did not sound like this other home was there
should be no issues with pets. But once the childs health is at risk
then there is a problem. And cat feces can make a child sick. So I
believe CPS had every right to remove this child until the home could be
cleaned up.

Fern5827
November 9th 03, 03:44 PM
Cat feces can make a pregnant woman VERY SICK.

Can endanger the eyesight of fetus. Do not clean out cat litter pans, if
pregnant.!

Ron
November 9th 03, 04:20 PM
"Simons Mom" > wrote in message
> I have 4 dogs and 3 cats and plan on another dog or two. As long as the
> house is clean whcih it did not sound like this other home was there
> should be no issues with pets. But once the childs health is at risk
> then there is a problem. And cat feces can make a child sick. So I
> believe CPS had every right to remove this child until the home could be
> cleaned up.

Entirely possible. Cats are clean creatures by nature, one of the reasons
you do not have to house break them.

As I understand it, this is one of the reasons that the city council here
decided to place a limit on the number of animals one may have in a home
without oversight. How much oversight a license requires I don't know, but
its got to be more than what the usual home owner has. This is also the
reasoning that most cities give when forbidding farm animals or other types
of livestock in an urban setting. To many possibilities for problems,
problems that affect more than just the owners by its very nature.

Ron

Fern5827
November 10th 03, 07:05 PM
....Gee guess ACS is more FEARLESS than those NE softies.

Why they keep lions, tigers, and alligators in apartments all the time.

Foster kids like 'em.