PDA

View Full Version : Critic of cronyism says Regier fired her

wexwimpy
July 29th 04, 09:51 PM
Critic of cronyism says Regier fired her

BY CAROL MARBIN MILLER

Months before a scathing inspector general's report slammed the
state's child welfare agency for rampant influence peddling and
cronyism, the agency's chief of staff delivered a similar message to
her boss and his top deputies.

Samara Kramer, chief of staff at the state Department of Children and
Families, told the agency's top administrators, including chief Jerry
Regier, that their behavior surrounding insider deals could lead to
``appearances of impropriety.''

Regier's response, Kramer said: He fired her that day, questioning her
loyalty and telling her he ``wanted to make a change.''

In an interview with The Herald on Wednesday, Kramer said Regier then
told Gov. Jeb Bush's staff that he wanted to ''remove'' her from her
position. Regier then told her she was free to discuss other state
employment with the governor's office. Within two days, she found a
job at the Department of Elder Affairs. But six weeks after her
dismissal, Regier changed his mind.

''He sat down with me and asked me to stay,'' said Kramer, who stayed
on as DCF chief of staff.

The recounting of the incident comes at a sensitive time for Regier,
whose agency is under scrutiny for allegedly funneling sweetheart
contracts to friends of his and of his top administrators. Earlier
this month, two of his top aides resigned following the inspector
general's report, and Regier apologized for what he called lapses in
judgment but denied he had ``done something to the level of resigning
over.''

Gov. Jeb Bush, interviewed by The Associated Press Thursday, said
Regier has my confidence.''.

On Wednesday, Regier described the incident with Kramer in different
terms. He acknowledged having a ''heated discussion'' with Kramer, but
described the incident as a ''misunderstanding'' and a ``mistake.''

`LET'S COOL OFF'

''We had words,'' Regier said. 'We got emotional, and she offered to
resign at one point if I had lost confidence in her. I said, or she
said, or we both said: `Let's cool off.' '' As soon as I cooled off, I
realized I was mistaken, and I realized I took my anger out on her
that day.

''There wasn't any asking her to resign,'' Regier said. 'There was no
`I'm firing you.' I simply vented my frustration to a loyal and
trusted advisor.

``After we cooled off, we had a great talk about it, and I apologized,
and she accepted it. I knew I couldn't do the job without her. We
moved forward.''

In a lengthy interview with The Herald following Regier's comments,
however, Kramer reaffirmed her claim.

''He fired me, plain and simple,'' she said.

Jill Bratina, a spokeswoman for Gov. Jeb Bush, declined to comment
directly on whether Regier fired his chief of staff or whether the
governor's office intervened. Bratina said the governor leaves
personnel issues up to agency heads.

''Ultimately the decisions, as it relates to staffing, is in the hands
of the secretaries, and the governor respects their decisions as it
relates to staffing,'' Bratina said.

HOW IT STARTED

The controversy began in March, hours after Kramer was contacted by an
investigator with the governor's inspector general's office. Kramer
said she told Regier at the time that state investigators, prompted by
a complaint, were looking into whether it was proper for a Florida
State University researcher, who frequently did business with DCF, to
throw a birthday party for Regier.

The party was hosted by Jim Bax, a former agency secretary who had $4
million in contracts with DCF.

Several high-ranking department officials attended, along with a
lobbyist for a Virginia consulting company who also has sought DCF
contracts.

STAFF MEETING

Three days after her private discussion with Regier, Kramer raised her
concerns over agency contracting practices at an executive staff
meeting attended by deputy secretaries Ben Harris, Cathleen Newbanks
and Robert Fagin, general counsel Josefina Tamayo, and DCF's inspector
general, Sheryl Steckler.

A detailed report of Tamayo's testimony to the inspector general
described the encounter as ``a tense meeting for all present.''

''Kramer informed everyone present that they needed to be mindful of
the rules and appearances of impropriety,'' according to the report of
Tamayo's testimony. ``She specifically mentioned the birthday party.''

''During this portion of the meeting,'' the report on Tamayo's
interview said, ``the secretary sat back and listened and asked
questions. He stated that he didn't know why this was being blown out
of proportion.''

'Kramer was very `exercised' during the meeting,'' Newbanks said,
according to a report of her testimony. ``Kramer stated that she was
trying to make sure no one got in trouble, and to protect Secretary
Regier's back.''

Kramer told The Herald on Wednesday that Regier met with her privately
after the executive meeting.

''He said I was causing problems among the senior staff, and
disrupting them,'' Kramer said. ``He felt I was accusing them of
wrongdoing. He felt I was questioning his ethics, as well.

''He told me he wanted to make a change,'' she added.

'HEATED' EXCHANGE

Regier acknowledges the two exchanged ''heated'' words. He said he was
angry at Kramer, however, because of a disagreement between Kramer and
another administrator. He said he believed the other administrator's
side of the story, a decision he later regretted.

Regier also maintains that he did not fire Kramer.

''I did not think I fired her,'' he said late Wednesday. 'I said,
`Sam, we can work this out.' ''

During what turned into a roughly six-week cooling-off period, Regier
acknowledged the two explored other employment options.

He said Kramer may have acted hastily after their heated exchange:
''Before I knew it,'' he said, ``she was off talking to personnel.''

Ultimately, Regier realized he need Kramer to remain at DCF. 'I said,
`Sam, I have got to have you in this position.' ''
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/9267985.htm

Defend your civil liberties! Get information at http://www.aclu.org, become a member at http://www.aclu.org/join and get active at http://www.aclu.org/action.