PDA

View Full Version : Foster care fraud, errors and overpayments Nebraska

Fern5827
August 3rd 04, 08:08 PM
Occurred quite often in Nebraska. Nebraska says they are auditing now.

Article Posted: 08/03/2004 8:19:06 AM
HHSS Collections Center Brings Big Bucks Back Into State Programs

Lincoln – Almost $2 million of taxpayer’s money is making its way back into
State coffers. A special Issuance and Collections Center within the Department
of Finance and Support in the Nebraska Health and Human Services System
recovered a year’s worth of overpayments and overcharges from people and
service providers.

"This is quite a success story. These are essentially taxpayer dollars coming
back to the State of Nebraska allowing us to help more people," said HHS
Finance and Support Director, Steve Curtiss. "The funds collected are funneled
back into various state programs."

The Issuance and Collections Center began collecting food stamp overpayments in
1999 and it expanded to include childcare and foster care programs in 2003.
Currently, the center has several auditors/investigators who review hundreds of
records a month picking out billing errors, overpayments and keeping an eye out
for possible fraudulent activity.

According to Issuance and Collections Center Manager, Suzi Skinner, most of the
discrepancies fall into three categories:

Overpayments – a person receiving state services, like food stamp benefits,
gets more program money than he/she is eligible for
Billing errors - providers who bill the State for services not provided
Fraud – intentional over-billing or misrepresentation related to eligibility
If an overpayment, billing error or fraud is confirmed, an investigator
contacts the person or provider and explains the discrepancy.

"Most people/providers willingly pay the State back. However, if they don’t,
and let’s say it’s a food stamp overpayment case, the center can intercept
a person’s federal tax return. If a provider over-bills, the center will pull
money from their next payment," said Skinner.

There is an appeal process for people/providers who disagree with the State’s
findings.

More than $1.5 million of the almost $2 million collected came from food stamp
overpayments and foster care and child care facilities that over-billed the
State of Nebraska. The remainder came from other State programs like Temporary
Assistance for Needy Families, Aid to Dependent Children and Aid to the Blind
and Disabled.

------

Copyright © 2002 SWNEBR.NET (Southwest Nebraska News) All Rights Reserved.

Ron
August 4th 04, 12:27 AM
"Fern5827" > wrote in message
> Occurred quite often in Nebraska. Nebraska says they are auditing now.

Some info for you fern. Reimbursement in Nebraska is decided by the
caseworker and the foster parent together based upon a specific
questionnaire. The questionnaire asks things like "How many appointments
does the child have every month?", and "What special medical requirements /
training are needed to properly care for the child?". Its a standardized
form and is used throughout the state.

The reimbursements start at $222.00 per month and "may" go up from there.
Many do not, some do. Personally, I welcome an audit. Its my money thats
being paid out as much as it is yours. The difference is that I know what
its being used for and why, and you do not.

Ron

> [...]
pull
> money from their next payment," said Skinner.
>
> There is an appeal process for people/providers who disagree with the
State's
> findings.
>
> More than $1.5 million of the almost $2 million collected came from food
stamp
> overpayments and foster care and child care facilities that over-billed
the
> State of Nebraska. The remainder came from other State programs like
Temporary
> Assistance for Needy Families, Aid to Dependent Children and Aid to the
Blind
> and Disabled.

> ------
>
> Copyright © 2002 SWNEBR.NET (Southwest Nebraska News) All Rights Reserved.

August 4th 04, 01:35 PM
Fair enough. But most most FOSTER CARE MONEY IS FEDERALLY FUNDED.

So it is my hard earned living, too.