PDA

View Full Version : ADHD Question

LadyCynthiaKay
February 28th 05, 10:59 PM
HI all,

Does anyone have experience with ADHD children of their own? I have a
7 year old with that diagnosis. We went through all the tests etc so
it isn't an off the cuff label for her. My question is if if there are
parents who have a child who has it and then outgrown it. Thanks!

http://mothersmuse.myblogsite.com/blog

Sue
March 1st 05, 12:22 AM
Outgrown it? I'm not sure that they can outgrow it, but rather as they get
older they can deal with it more. I am experienced with ADHD if you have
more questions.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

"LadyCynthiaKay" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> HI all,
>
> Does anyone have experience with ADHD children of their own? I have a
> 7 year old with that diagnosis. We went through all the tests etc so
> it isn't an off the cuff label for her. My question is if if there are
> parents who have a child who has it and then outgrown it. Thanks!
>
> http://mothersmuse.myblogsite.com/blog

Denise Anderson
March 1st 05, 02:24 AM
"LadyCynthiaKay" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> HI all,
>
> Does anyone have experience with ADHD children of their own? I have a
> 7 year old with that diagnosis. We went through all the tests etc so
> it isn't an off the cuff label for her. My question is if if there are
> parents who have a child who has it and then outgrown it. Thanks!
>
> http://mothersmuse.myblogsite.com/blog

I'm 25 and I haven't outgrown ADHD yet.

Denise

chrissie
March 1st 05, 02:57 AM
I have a friend who has a 5 year old son that was initially diagnosed
ADHD. They hear something somewhere about sleep apnea and took him to a
ear, nose and throat doctor. He had his adnods reamoved and he seems to
be doing a lot better. The doctors said that he was acting out because
he was not getting any sleep.

jojo
March 1st 05, 08:44 PM
There is a lot of thought out there about ADHD and food choices.
I have not tried to apply it to my own ADHD, so can't speak for it.
jojo

"LadyCynthiaKay" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> HI all,
>
> Does anyone have experience with ADHD children of their own? I have a
> 7 year old with that diagnosis. We went through all the tests etc so
> it isn't an off the cuff label for her. My question is if if there are
> parents who have a child who has it and then outgrown it. Thanks!
>
> http://mothersmuse.myblogsite.com/blog

Beth Kevles
March 2nd 05, 12:09 AM
Hi -

Our son was displaying a lot of symptoms of ADHD until we figured out
that he has food allergies -- not the kind that cause breathing trouble,
but the kind that change his behavior. We've eliminated dairy protein
and artificial dyes from his diet, with excellent results. He's MUCH
calmer and better able to focus now! We think there's another allergen
yet to be ferreted out, but we'll get to it when we can.

I know that only SOME ADHD will respond to diet. Much ADHD probably has
entirely other sources. ANd for each child, I suspect that the set of
allergens (for lack of a better word) is different. But I'd try
eliminating the most common allergens (dairy protein, egg, wheat,soy)
and artificial colors, and possibly corn and corn syrup, as my first
choices.

Your mileage may vary, of course,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

shinypenny
March 2nd 05, 02:15 AM
LadyCynthiaKay wrote:
> HI all,
>
> Does anyone have experience with ADHD children of their own? I have
> 7 year old with that diagnosis. We went through all the tests etc so
> it isn't an off the cuff label for her. My question is if if there
are
> parents who have a child who has it and then outgrown it. Thanks!
>
> http://mothersmuse.myblogsite.com/blog

I think there's a group for ADHD and you might get better answers
there. To my knowledge, you don't outgrow it, but that doesn't mean
your child is doomed or anything like that. The adults I know with ADHD
may be a tad scatter-brained and disorganized at times, but have
succeeded in careers and personal life in general. There are definetly
worse things to have, if you're going to have a label. :-)

My own experience is slim to none, and probably not all that helpful to
you: DD12's preschool teachers diagnosed her as "likely" ADHD. Came out
of the blue for me - I had never heard the term before they brought it
up.

Their tests included having a third-party evaluator observe her in the
classroom on numerous occasions, as well as home visits, but did not
include a doctor evaluating her. I asked our pediatrician for his
opinion. He said that no child could be definitively dx'ed until around
age 7 or 8, and also said, in his judgement, the kid had a lot on her
plate due to divorce we were going through, allergies, and hearing loss
due to fluid in her ears caused by those allergies. His advice was to
give it some time, and relax.

We moved to a new school district where she started K. I did mention it
to her teacher, and they said they'd keep an eye out for any potential
behavioral issues. That first year was pretty rocky, but no one ever
raised the ADHD issue again. Today, if you knew her, you'd be really
surprised that anyone would've ever pegged her as ADHD.

jen

shinypenny
March 2nd 05, 02:28 AM
shinypenny wrote:

> My own experience is slim to none, and probably not all that helpful
> you: DD12's preschool teachers diagnosed her as "likely" ADHD.

Oops.. sorry for the self-reply, but I realized I mistyped: they said
"likely ADD" - with no H for hyperactivity. I understand ADD and ADHD
are different flavors.

It's hard to recall since that was years ago. I do remember being very
upset and reading up on it to educate myself. Also standing out in my
mind is that they were all very concerned about my DD's habit of
curling up into a fetal position when the classroom environment got to
chaotic. This was something terrible to them, but personally, I felt
like curling up myself whenever I'd have to spend more than 20 minutes
at the school (although well run, it was a tad overcrowded, IMO).

They also recommended that I hold her back from K another year, and I
really did not want to do that, because her younger sister would then
have been in the same class or would've had to also be held back, which
didn't seem fair.

I trusted these teachers immensely - the preschool was a part of a
renowned college specializing in early education. I felt a little
ganged up on, with 3 different teachers, the school director, and the
third-party "expert" all saying she needed to be held back and put on
Ritalin. It was a relief to hear my pediatrician give an alternative
opinion, and then later, to have her new school teachers confirm his
opinion that "wait and see" was a valid approach.

She did need a lot of hand-holding in K, but the teachers and I all
worked together and she came through it just fine.

jen