PDA

View Full Version : Asleep one minute, wide awake the next

ChitaShines
March 3rd 05, 02:26 AM
This is something that has had me boggled for many months. How is it that a
baby can be asleep one minute then wide awake the next? Here's my scenario:
My 11 MO DD will be getting her bottle right before a nap. She will fall
dead asleep on me as I'm burping her. I will rock her for several minutes
just to be sure she's in complete slumberland. I put her down in her crib
and, BAM, her eyes spring wide open. Of course that's the end of her nap
because she sits up and starts playing. I will leave her in there for a
good hour just to both give her the opportunity to maybe fall asleep and to
let her know that it is naptime.

Why do babies do this?

Stephanie
March 3rd 05, 03:20 PM
"ChitaShines" > wrote in message
m...
> This is something that has had me boggled for many months. How is it that
> baby can be asleep one minute then wide awake the next? Here's my
scenario:
> My 11 MO DD will be getting her bottle right before a nap. She will fall
> dead asleep on me as I'm burping her. I will rock her for several minutes
> just to be sure she's in complete slumberland. I put her down in her crib
> and, BAM, her eyes spring wide open. Of course that's the end of her nap
> because she sits up and starts playing. I will leave her in there for a
> good hour just to both give her the opportunity to maybe fall asleep and
> let her know that it is naptime.
>
> Why do babies do this?

Sleep association. Put her down drowsy but asleep. There are lots of books
on the subject. Dr Ferber, Solving Your Child's Sleep Problems talks about
it quite a bit. Dr somebody starting with a "W" does to apparently, thought
I have never read his. Dr Ferber IMO does a good job explaining the
situation. His solution is not acceptable to a lot of parents. But once you
understand the problem, you can move on to things like No Cry Sleep Solution
other resources. Or you can choose to replace their sleep association as
needed, as some people do by cosleeping.

You do not sound from the tone of the post like this is a huge deal for you.
But this is such a common question, my fingersd seem to type this response
almost on autopilot.

Tori M.
March 3rd 05, 04:45 PM
"ChitaShines" > wrote in message
m...
> This is something that has had me boggled for many months. How is it that
> a baby can be asleep one minute then wide awake the next? Here's my
> scenario: My 11 MO DD will be getting her bottle right before a nap. She
> will fall dead asleep on me as I'm burping her. I will rock her for
> several minutes just to be sure she's in complete slumberland. I put her
> down in her crib and, BAM, her eyes spring wide open. Of course that's
> the end of her nap because she sits up and starts playing. I will leave
> her in there for a good hour just to both give her the opportunity to
> maybe fall asleep and to let her know that it is naptime.
>
> Why do babies do this?

Xavier does this as well *sigh* I wish I knew the answer. I also want to
know what makes them start crying when you just finaly fell asleep.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/02
Xavier 10/04

Nan
March 3rd 05, 04:51 PM
On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:45:55 -0600, "Tori M."
> scribbled:

>"ChitaShines" > wrote in message
m...
>> This is something that has had me boggled for many months. How is it that
>> a baby can be asleep one minute then wide awake the next? Here's my
>> scenario: My 11 MO DD will be getting her bottle right before a nap. She
>> will fall dead asleep on me as I'm burping her. I will rock her for
>> several minutes just to be sure she's in complete slumberland. I put her
>> down in her crib and, BAM, her eyes spring wide open. Of course that's
>> the end of her nap because she sits up and starts playing. I will leave
>> her in there for a good hour just to both give her the opportunity to
>> maybe fall asleep and to let her know that it is naptime.
>>
>> Why do babies do this?
>
>Xavier does this as well *sigh* I wish I knew the answer. I also want to
>know what makes them start crying when you just finaly fell asleep.

It's all in the Baby Union Rules. <G>

Nan

March 3rd 05, 10:34 PM
ChitaShines wrote:
> This is something that has had me boggled for many months. How is it
that a
> baby can be asleep one minute then wide awake the next? Here's my
scenario:
> My 11 MO DD will be getting her bottle right before a nap. She will
fall
> dead asleep on me as I'm burping her. I will rock her for several
minutes
> just to be sure she's in complete slumberland. I put her down in her
crib
> and, BAM, her eyes spring wide open. Of course that's the end of her
nap
> because she sits up and starts playing. I will leave her in there
for a
> good hour just to both give her the opportunity to maybe fall asleep
and to
> let her know that it is naptime.
>
> Why do babies do this?

I used to say that my son had a crib detection located in his bottom;
let the bottom touch the crib, alarm goes off, baby awake!

Beth

hobbes
March 4th 05, 01:37 PM
"ChitaShines" > wrote in message
m...
> This is something that has had me boggled for many months. How is it that
> baby can be asleep one minute then wide awake the next?
>
> Why do babies do this?

It's a talent. They do it to show off, I think :)

Doesn't go away, either. I'm always amazed at how my two wake up at 6:30 as
if they've got springs in their feet and ice cubes down their backs. DH and
I are all groaning, groggy, and can barely open our eyes and the kids wake
up happy, alert, and demanding breakfast.

--
Jodi
SAHM to Oliver (4 years)