PDA

View Full Version : Review: Nobody Knows (** 1/2)

Steve Rhodes
March 9th 05, 05:05 PM
NOBODY KNOWS
A film review by Steve Rhodes

Copyright 2005 Steve Rhodes

RATING (0 TO ****): ** 1/2

In the beginning of NOBODY KNOWS, we are told that, although it was inspired
by a true story, the movie is completely fictional. A nice example of a
cute kids movie -- as in a movie filled with cute kids, as opposed to a
kid's movie -- it derives most of its appeal from the sweet smiles of the
four children who spend most of their time alone in a Tokyo apartment as
Keiko (played by a pop star named "You"), their childlike mom, "works" late
or goes off on a month long trip.

As the story starts, Keiko and 12-year-old son Akira (Yûya Yagira), her
oldest child, are moving into a new apartment. Keiko explains to the
neighbors that her husband is working abroad and that they will be quiet
neighbors. Actually, there are four kids in the family and no father
abroad. The other three children are hidden in suitcases. Once they are
let out, they are read the riot act by their mother and admonished never to
go outside. They also don't go to school, something that really bothers
Akira, the family's surrogate father and mother. Akira is responsible for
everything from the shopping to the food preparation. Not nearly as mature
as her own son, Keiko, with her squeaky little voice, is nonetheless likable
even if she is selfish, foolish and apparently very promiscuous.

The touching film would have been more enjoyable if they had lit it
properly. The scenes, which occur mainly indoors, are grainy and ugly --
too bad since it is in the faces of the youngsters that the movie has its
charms. Although I have friends who swear by this movie, I found this
overly long film only modestly enjoyable and a possible candidate for my
most overrated films of the year list.

NOBODY KNOWS runs way too long at 2:21. The film is in Japanese with
English subtitles. It is rated PG-13 for "mature thematic elements and some
sexual references" and would be acceptable for any kid old enough to be able
to follow subtitles.

The film is playing in nationwide release now in the United States. In the
Silicon Valley, it is showing at the Camera Cinemas.

Web: http://www.InternetReviews.com

Email:

Want free reviews and weekly movie and video recommendations via Email?

Just send me a letter with the word "subscribe" in the subject line.