PDA

View Full Version : Question about 6 year olds

tired_mom
March 9th 05, 06:16 PM
I have a 6 year old neighbour girl who is in my house most evenings.
She is very sweet and likes to play with my son(2 years).
she is a single child and thoroughly bored in her home.

The question I have is:
She loves to give a bath to my son. She keeps asking whether he can
have bath. I think she just wants to pour water over him and play with
water and also make bubbles for him. I dont have any problem at all
with this.
But my question is: Will there be any long term effect on this.
Will she be noticing my son is naked and looking at his private parts?
(she has not make any comments yet)
When he grows up, is she going to make fun of him about this?
I did not think so, but just wanted to check with people who KNOW 6
year old girls.
I hope I am overreacting.
Thanks!

Jeff
March 9th 05, 06:53 PM
"tired_mom" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have a 6 year old neighbour girl who is in my house most evenings.
> She is very sweet and likes to play with my son(2 years).
> she is a single child and thoroughly bored in her home.
>
> The question I have is:
> She loves to give a bath to my son. She keeps asking whether he can
> have bath. I think she just wants to pour water over him and play with
> water and also make bubbles for him. I dont have any problem at all
> with this.
> But my question is: Will there be any long term effect on this.\\

Yeah, you will have a son who likes baths and stays clean ;-)

> Will she be noticing my son is naked and looking at his private parts?
> (she has not make any comments yet)

Gee, I hope so. Private parts are part of life.

I am sure she noticed that his private parts are different from hers. If she
hasn't asked any questions, I am sure she was not surprised at this.

The only thing I would do is make sure that her mom knows that she helping
you bath him, so that she can answer any questions and know why the
questions are coming up.

> When he grows up, is she going to make fun of him about this?

Only if she later marries him and his private parts have not grown that
much. ;-)

Otherwise, she won't make fun of him. Besides, she will probably see other
boys' private parts. And until she gets older, the only difference is that
boys and girls pee differently (she's probably been in the men's room with
her dad and noticed that anyway). or said, what are those things on the
wall?

> I did not think so, but just wanted to check with people who KNOW 6
> year old girls.
> I hope I am overreacting.

You are appropriately concerned.

Jeff

> Thanks!

Banty
March 9th 05, 07:01 PM
In article om>, tired_mom
says...

>I have a 6 year old neighbour girl who is in my house most evenings.
>She is very sweet and likes to play with my son(2 years).
>she is a single child and thoroughly bored in her home.
>
>The question I have is:
>She loves to give a bath to my son. She keeps asking whether he can
>have bath. I think she just wants to pour water over him and play with
>water and also make bubbles for him. I dont have any problem at all
>with this.
>But my question is: Will there be any long term effect on this.
>Will she be noticing my son is naked and looking at his private parts?
>(she has not make any comments yet)
>When he grows up, is she going to make fun of him about this?
>I did not think so, but just wanted to check with people who KNOW 6
>year old girls.
>I hope I am overreacting.
>Thanks!

The biggest concern is that a six year old is easily distractible and is not old
enough to have responsibility for giving a toddler a bath.

I would worry at all about his pee-pee showing. Or her making fun of him (for
what - being a boy??). But I do think there are important safety concerns which
would require you to supervise closely.

Banty

Melania
March 9th 05, 07:50 PM
Banty wrote:
> In article om>,
tired_mom
> says...
> >
> >I have a 6 year old neighbour girl who is in my house most evenings.
> >She is very sweet and likes to play with my son(2 years).
> >she is a single child and thoroughly bored in her home.
> >
> >The question I have is:
> >She loves to give a bath to my son. She keeps asking whether he can
> >have bath. I think she just wants to pour water over him and play
with
> >water and also make bubbles for him. I dont have any problem at all
> >with this.
> >But my question is: Will there be any long term effect on this.
> >Will she be noticing my son is naked and looking at his private
parts?
> >(she has not make any comments yet)
> >When he grows up, is she going to make fun of him about this?
> >I did not think so, but just wanted to check with people who KNOW 6
> >year old girls.
> >I hope I am overreacting.
> >Thanks!
> >

> The biggest concern is that a six year old is easily distractible and
is not old
> enough to have responsibility for giving a toddler a bath.

I'd second that.

> I would worry at all about his pee-pee showing. Or her making fun of
him (for
> what - being a boy??). But I do think there are important safety
concerns which
> would require you to supervise closely.

Try getting my ds *not* to show you his pee-pee . . . (eyeroll)

Seriously, I think the little girl may well be curious and that could
be influencing her desire to give him a bath. On the other hand, giving
a toddler a bath can just be so much fun! I remember playing with a
bunch of kids in someone's yard, and my 4yo brother decided to pee in
the bushes. A 6yo girl who was there completely freaked out - she only
had a sister, had *never* seen her father's penis, and had no idea what
boys looked like. She thought something was horribly wrong with him,
and was crying and hysterical. I would much rather children learn about
the difference of the sexes in a matter-of-fact, relevant way early on,
than accidentally make a scary discovery!

Melania
Mom to Joffre (Jan 11, 2003)
and #2 (edd May 21, 2005)

hobbes
March 10th 05, 02:05 PM
"Melania" > wrote in message
oups.com...

I remember playing with a
> bunch of kids in someone's yard, and my 4yo brother decided to pee in
> the bushes. A 6yo girl who was there completely freaked out - she only
> had a sister, had *never* seen her father's penis, and had no idea what
> boys looked like. She thought something was horribly wrong with him,
> and was crying and hysterical. I would much rather children learn about
> the difference of the sexes in a matter-of-fact, relevant way early on,
> than accidentally make a scary discovery!

Wow. No kidding.

My son and I are responsible for introducing my friend's DD to male anatomy
(well, she'd seen her father, but somehow hadn't made the connection), when
she was about 2. I was changing his diaper, and she peered down to inspect.
Her eyes got big, and she pointed and said, "What's *that*?" She wasn't too
impressed, LOL. But at least it wasn't frightening!

--
Jodi
SAHM to Oliver (4 years)

toypup
March 16th 05, 01:07 AM
"hobbes" > wrote in message

> "Melania" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
> I remember playing with a
>> bunch of kids in someone's yard, and my 4yo brother decided to pee in
>> the bushes. A 6yo girl who was there completely freaked out - she only
>> had a sister, had *never* seen her father's penis, and had no idea what
>> boys looked like. She thought something was horribly wrong with him,
>> and was crying and hysterical. I would much rather children learn about
>> the difference of the sexes in a matter-of-fact, relevant way early on,
>> than accidentally make a scary discovery!
>
> Wow. No kidding.
>
> My son and I are responsible for introducing my friend's DD to male
> anatomy
> (well, she'd seen her father, but somehow hadn't made the connection),
> when
> she was about 2. I was changing his diaper, and she peered down to
> inspect.
> Her eyes got big, and she pointed and said, "What's *that*?" She wasn't
> too
> impressed, LOL. But at least it wasn't frightening!

LOL! I read a story in a magazine about a mom who was watching a little
girl. Her toddler sons freaked out when she changed the girl's diaper
because they thought something happened to her privates.