PDA

View Full Version : Qt. for mothers of preemies

ChitaShines
March 9th 05, 07:38 PM
My DD was born 7 weeks early. In a couple of weeks it will be her first
birthday. She's right on track with just about everything as if she was
born on time. My question is this: Do preemies have to stay on formula for
12 months from the day they were due? I'm just wondering if I need to keep
her on formula until May which is when she was due. We have an appt. at the
end of this month and will learn more from the doctor, but I am curious what
others have done. Thanks!

Pip
March 9th 05, 11:41 PM
My first girl was 5 weeks early and breastfed and formula fed to start with
and then formula fed from 9 months onwards. I was told to give her formula
until she was 18 months but that was due to her being a very low weight and
my doctor thought it would help weight gain. I think if your DD is already
making the targets of that of a full term baby then your doctor will
probably advise stopping the formula and letting her have cows milk.

Best wishes
Pip

--
Abby - 3rd Feb 2005 at 32 weeks