PDA

View Full Version : snail bait

toypup
March 12th 05, 08:16 PM
Is it just me? FIL says we should put snail bait in the yard and just tell
DS (3yo) and DD (1yo) to stay away and not play in the dirt. I'm against
any sort of poison the kids can get into. It's not like I can't teach them,
but I think kids do get into things we tell them not to and I don't think
the punishment for that should be potentially death. I was discussing the
snail bait issue at work and it seems no one is concerned about putting
snail bait in the yard with little kids around. They give suggestions about
how to keep the kids out, etc. Of course, none of the people giving advice
have any young children running around. I'm not at all considering the
snail bait suggestion, but I'm wondering if I'm in the minority here. Would
you put snail bait in the yard with toddlers/preschoolers around?

Ericka Kammerer
March 12th 05, 08:29 PM
toypup wrote:

> Is it just me? FIL says we should put snail bait in the yard and just tell
> DS (3yo) and DD (1yo) to stay away and not play in the dirt. I'm against
> any sort of poison the kids can get into. It's not like I can't teach them,
> but I think kids do get into things we tell them not to and I don't think
> the punishment for that should be potentially death. I was discussing the
> snail bait issue at work and it seems no one is concerned about putting
> snail bait in the yard with little kids around. They give suggestions about
> how to keep the kids out, etc. Of course, none of the people giving advice
> have any young children running around. I'm not at all considering the
> snail bait suggestion, but I'm wondering if I'm in the minority here. Would
> you put snail bait in the yard with toddlers/preschoolers around?

If it's toxic, I would not leave it out in the yard with
toddlers or preschoolers without constant, direct, unwavering
supervision--and I'm pretty lax about babyproofing.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Jeff
March 12th 05, 08:41 PM
"toypup" > wrote in message
. com...
> Is it just me? FIL says we should put snail bait in the yard and just
> tell DS (3yo) and DD (1yo) to stay away and not play in the dirt. I'm
> against any sort of poison the kids can get into. It's not like I can't
> teach them, but I think kids do get into things we tell them not to and I
> don't think the punishment for that should be potentially death. I was
> discussing the snail bait issue at work and it seems no one is concerned
> about putting snail bait in the yard with little kids around. They give
> suggestions about how to keep the kids out, etc. Of course, none of the
> people giving advice have any young children running around. I'm not at
> all considering the snail bait suggestion, but I'm wondering if I'm in the
> minority here. Would you put snail bait in the yard with
> toddlers/preschoolers around?

I wouldn't do it. I don't think the risk is worth it.

Jeff

toypup
March 12th 05, 08:56 PM
"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
> toypup wrote:
>
>> Is it just me? FIL says we should put snail bait in the yard and just
>> tell DS (3yo) and DD (1yo) to stay away and not play in the dirt. I'm
>> against any sort of poison the kids can get into. It's not like I can't
>> teach them, but I think kids do get into things we tell them not to and I
>> don't think the punishment for that should be potentially death. I was
>> discussing the snail bait issue at work and it seems no one is concerned
>> about putting snail bait in the yard with little kids around. They give
>> suggestions about how to keep the kids out, etc. Of course, none of the
>> people giving advice have any young children running around. I'm not at
>> all considering the snail bait suggestion, but I'm wondering if I'm in
>> the minority here. Would you put snail bait in the yard with
>> toddlers/preschoolers around?
>
> If it's toxic, I would not leave it out in the yard with
> toddlers or preschoolers without constant, direct, unwavering
> supervision--and I'm pretty lax about babyproofing.

Thank you. I wonder if these people did use such things when they had
youngsters around. Have they forgotten what kids are like or were they
especially lax compared to us?

Rosalie B.
March 12th 05, 09:16 PM
"toypup" > wrote:

>"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
>> toypup wrote:
>>
>>> Is it just me? FIL says we should put snail bait in the yard and just
>>> tell DS (3yo) and DD (1yo) to stay away and not play in the dirt. I'm
>>> against any sort of poison the kids can get into. It's not like I can't
>>> teach them, but I think kids do get into things we tell them not to and I
>>> don't think the punishment for that should be potentially death. I was
>>> discussing the snail bait issue at work and it seems no one is concerned
>>> about putting snail bait in the yard with little kids around. They give
>>> suggestions about how to keep the kids out, etc. Of course, none of the
>>> people giving advice have any young children running around. I'm not at
>>> all considering the snail bait suggestion, but I'm wondering if I'm in
>>> the minority here. Would you put snail bait in the yard with
>>> toddlers/preschoolers around?

No I would not. Nor with small animals. Sprinkle them with salt or
put out beer in small dishes.

>> If it's toxic, I would not leave it out in the yard with
>> toddlers or preschoolers without constant, direct, unwavering
>> supervision--and I'm pretty lax about babyproofing.
>
>Thank you. I wonder if these people did use such things when they had
>youngsters around. Have they forgotten what kids are like or were they
>especially lax compared to us?

Probably they've forgotten or never knew.

grandma Rosalie

tracert
March 12th 05, 09:18 PM
"toypup" > wrote in message
. com...
> Is it just me? FIL says we should put snail bait in the yard and just
tell
> DS (3yo) and DD (1yo) to stay away and not play in the dirt. I'm against
> any sort of poison the kids can get into. It's not like I can't teach
them,
> but I think kids do get into things we tell them not to and I don't think
> the punishment for that should be potentially death. I was discussing the
> snail bait issue at work and it seems no one is concerned about putting
> snail bait in the yard with little kids around. They give suggestions
about
> how to keep the kids out, etc. Of course, none of the people giving
advice
> have any young children running around. I'm not at all considering the
> snail bait suggestion, but I'm wondering if I'm in the minority here.
Would
> you put snail bait in the yard with toddlers/preschoolers around?

I'd put a pie pan filled with beer out in the garden. Slugs can't seem to
resist it, and come in droves to drink and die. Worst that could happen
would be a kid drinking slug-flavored flat beer. :-)

dragonlady
March 12th 05, 09:32 PM
In article >,
"toypup" > wrote:

> Is it just me? FIL says we should put snail bait in the yard and just tell
> DS (3yo) and DD (1yo) to stay away and not play in the dirt. I'm against
> any sort of poison the kids can get into. It's not like I can't teach them,
> but I think kids do get into things we tell them not to and I don't think
> the punishment for that should be potentially death. I was discussing the
> snail bait issue at work and it seems no one is concerned about putting
> snail bait in the yard with little kids around. They give suggestions about
> how to keep the kids out, etc. Of course, none of the people giving advice
> have any young children running around. I'm not at all considering the
> snail bait suggestion, but I'm wondering if I'm in the minority here. Would
> you put snail bait in the yard with toddlers/preschoolers around?

I don't know -- how toxic is snail bait? I know there are some things
that, while not designed for human consumption, are also not terribly
dangerous.

If it is potentially lethal, there's no way I'd put it out.

However, if it's just kind of icky to think about the kids eating it,
I'd have to ask how much ickier it would be if they ate a raw unwahsed
snail!

Nan
March 12th 05, 11:22 PM
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 20:16:01 GMT, "toypup" >
scribbled:

>Is it just me? FIL says we should put snail bait in the yard and just tell
>DS (3yo) and DD (1yo) to stay away and not play in the dirt. I'm against
>any sort of poison the kids can get into. It's not like I can't teach them,
>but I think kids do get into things we tell them not to and I don't think
>the punishment for that should be potentially death. I was discussing the
>snail bait issue at work and it seems no one is concerned about putting
>snail bait in the yard with little kids around. They give suggestions about
>how to keep the kids out, etc. Of course, none of the people giving advice
>have any young children running around. I'm not at all considering the
>snail bait suggestion, but I'm wondering if I'm in the minority here. Would
>you put snail bait in the yard with toddlers/preschoolers around?

Nope. Most toddlers cannot be told to stay away from something and
have it be a successful directive ;-)

Nan

Caledonia
March 12th 05, 11:53 PM
toypup wrote:
> Is it just me? FIL says we should put snail bait in the yard and
just tell
> DS (3yo) and DD (1yo) to stay away and not play in the dirt. I'm
against
> any sort of poison the kids can get into. It's not like I can't
teach them,
> but I think kids do get into things we tell them not to and I don't
think
> the punishment for that should be potentially death. I was
discussing the
> snail bait issue at work and it seems no one is concerned about
putting
> snail bait in the yard with little kids around. They give
suggestions about
> how to keep the kids out, etc. Of course, none of the people giving
advice
> have any young children running around. I'm not at all considering
the
> snail bait suggestion, but I'm wondering if I'm in the minority here.
Would
> you put snail bait in the yard with toddlers/preschoolers around?

Yes, I've put out small cans filled with beer while toddlers were
around. Kills snails and slugs, and not-so-subtly teaches 'alcohol
kills'. Maybe that's what your FIL was thinking?

I'm a little more cautious as I have a geriatric dog who is notable for
Eating All Things; for me, it was good preparation for small children.
Bummed out the neighbors to see me removing the foxglove, though.

Caledonia

enigma
March 13th 05, 12:26 AM
"toypup" > wrote in
. com:

> Is it just me? FIL says we should put snail bait in the
> yard and just tell DS (3yo) and DD (1yo) to stay away and
> not play in the dirt. I'm against any sort of poison the
> kids can get into. It's not like I can't teach them, but I
> think kids do get into things we tell them not to and I
> don't think the punishment for that should be potentially
> death. I was discussing the snail bait issue at work and
> it seems no one is concerned about putting snail bait in
> the yard with little kids around. They give suggestions
> about how to keep the kids out, etc. Of course, none of
> the people giving advice have any young children running
> around. I'm not at all considering the snail bait
> suggestion, but I'm wondering if I'm in the minority here.
> Would you put snail bait in the yard with
> toddlers/preschoolers around?

i use beer. cheap, easy to get, & not particularly toxic to
the kids. kinda disgusting dumping the drowned drunk slugs,
but they're good for the compost heap :)
if you *must* use bait, i'd suggest Sluggo.
http://www.pestproducts.com/sluggo.htm
if your FIL is considering using anything else, i'd say NO,
not with kids your kid's ages around.
lee

March 13th 05, 02:39 AM
dragonlady wrote:
> In article >,
> "toypup" > wrote:

> I don't know -- how toxic is snail bait? I know there are some
things
> that, while not designed for human consumption, are also not terribly

> dangerous.
>
> If it is potentially lethal, there's no way I'd put it out.

I don't know if all snail bait is created equal, but a quick drink of
water contaminated by some kind of snail poison killed a dog my husband
and I used to have - a 60+ lb dog, too.

Beth

toto
March 13th 05, 04:17 PM
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 21:32:57 GMT, dragonlady
> wrote:

>I don't know -- how toxic is snail bait? I know there are some things
>that, while not designed for human consumption, are also not terribly
>dangerous.

There is apparently a non-toxic one:

http://www.pestproducts.com/sluggo.htm

The regular stuff is pretty toxic to dogs and to children from
what I can see.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/snail_bait_poisoning.html

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits

toypup
March 13th 05, 04:21 PM
"Caledonia" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> toypup wrote:
>> snail bait suggestion, but I'm wondering if I'm in the minority here.
> Would
>> you put snail bait in the yard with toddlers/preschoolers around?
>
> Yes, I've put out small cans filled with beer while toddlers were
> around. Kills snails and slugs, and not-so-subtly teaches 'alcohol
> kills'. Maybe that's what your FIL was thinking?
>
> I'm a little more cautious as I have a geriatric dog who is notable for
> Eating All Things; for me, it was good preparation for small children.
> Bummed out the neighbors to see me removing the foxglove, though.

No, he meant poison. Which reminds me, we also have a dog.

toypup
March 13th 05, 04:22 PM
"enigma" > wrote in message
. ..
> "toypup" > wrote in
> . com:
>> Would you put snail bait in the yard with
>> toddlers/preschoolers around?
>
> i use beer. cheap, easy to get, & not particularly toxic to
> the kids. kinda disgusting dumping the drowned drunk slugs,
> but they're good for the compost heap :)
> if you *must* use bait, i'd suggest Sluggo.
> http://www.pestproducts.com/sluggo.htm
> if your FIL is considering using anything else, i'd say NO,
> not with kids your kid's ages around.
> lee

Thanks. I didn't know beer kills snails, but now I do. I'll have to buy
some beer now.

Hillary Israeli
March 14th 05, 12:22 AM
In >,
toypup > wrote:

*Is it just me? FIL says we should put snail bait in the yard and just tell
*DS (3yo) and DD (1yo) to stay away and not play in the dirt. I'm against

If you're talking about metaldehyde, he's out of his ****ing mind. Forgive
me, but OMG is this a joke? Maybe he's never seen what happens when you
deplete brain serotonin and GABA levels, so he doesn't realize what it
would look like (tremors, tachypnea, tachycardia, opisthotonus, seizures,
hyperthermia, ultimately death in status epilepticus), but why would
anyone put POISON in the yard where a ONE YEAR OLD plays?? The mind
boggles.

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth

Hillary Israeli
March 14th 05, 12:24 AM
In >,
toypup > wrote:

*
*No, he meant poison. Which reminds me, we also have a dog.

Then an even stronger hell no from me. I can tell you dogs seem to enjoy
the stuff for some reason...

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is
too dark to read." --Groucho Marx

enigma
March 14th 05, 01:16 AM
"toypup" > wrote in
m:

> "enigma" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> "toypup" > wrote in
>> . com:
>>> Would you put snail bait in the yard with
>>> toddlers/preschoolers around?
>>
>> i use beer. cheap, easy to get, & not particularly toxic
>> to the kids. kinda disgusting dumping the drowned drunk
>> slugs, but they're good for the compost heap :)
>
> Thanks. I didn't know beer kills snails, but now I do.
> I'll have to buy some beer now.

it's actually the yeast that attracts them, so you can use a
yeast-sugar-water mix too (beer does work better). just fill a
smallish shallow pan (large pot saucers that are glazed inside
to hold liquids work well) with an inch or so of beer or
yeasty water. it helps if you sink them so the rim is level
with the ground, but that's not necessary. the slugs & snails
crawl in & drown. they can't resist the beer.
lee

Chookie
March 17th 05, 05:46 AM
In article >,
"toypup" > wrote:

> Is it just me? FIL says we should put snail bait in the yard and just tell
> DS (3yo) and DD (1yo) to stay away and not play in the dirt. I'm against
> any sort of poison the kids can get into. It's not like I can't teach them,
> but I think kids do get into things we tell them not to and I don't think
> the punishment for that should be potentially death. I was discussing the
> snail bait issue at work and it seems no one is concerned about putting
> snail bait in the yard with little kids around.

I use snail bait, but sparingly, in the vegie patch. This isn't an area that
DS plays in much, and he's too old for eating it anyway. I don't think I used
any bait between his becoming mobile and turning 3.

I've never encountered a child of 3 or 1 who would not "play in the dirt",
given the chance, whether or not they had been told not to, and frankly I
don't think your FIL has either.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.