PDA

View Full Version : swim lessons etiquette

March 15th 05, 11:31 PM
I'll be taking my not-yet-diaper-trained dd to swimming lessons soon.
Their pamphlet mentioned that she should be either wearing a swimsuit
or a little swimmers type diaper. I was wondering if these are standard
instructions. I was curious if she's wearing only the swimsuit, is it
ok if she pees in the pool? How come it's not mandatory to wear the
little swimmers diaper?

Just wondering! Thanks.

Melania
March 15th 05, 11:39 PM
wrote:
> I'll be taking my not-yet-diaper-trained dd to swimming lessons soon.
> Their pamphlet mentioned that she should be either wearing a swimsuit
> or a little swimmers type diaper. I was wondering if these are
standard
> instructions. I was curious if she's wearing only the swimsuit, is it
> ok if she pees in the pool? How come it's not mandatory to wear the
> little swimmers diaper?
>
> Just wondering! Thanks.

Some baby swimsuits are designed to hold pee in - kind of a combination
cloth diaper and rubber pants, only sewn together to prevent leaks. I
think that's the kind of swimsuit they're expecting. We have a suit
that isn't like that - it's just fabric - so we always put ds in a swim
diaper underneath.

Melania
Mom to Joffre (Jan 11, 2003)
and #2 (edd May 21, 2005)

Tracey
March 16th 05, 12:18 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'll be taking my not-yet-diaper-trained dd to swimming lessons soon.
> Their pamphlet mentioned that she should be either wearing a swimsuit
> or a little swimmers type diaper. I was wondering if these are standard
> instructions. I was curious if she's wearing only the swimsuit, is it
> ok if she pees in the pool? How come it's not mandatory to wear the
> little swimmers diaper?

The meaning of the rule is: No disposable diapers except swim diapers. The
disposible diapers have gel in them which a. get very heavy and b. can
damage the filter system.

Jeff
March 16th 05, 12:42 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'll be taking my not-yet-diaper-trained dd to swimming lessons soon.
> Their pamphlet mentioned that she should be either wearing a swimsuit
> or a little swimmers type diaper. I was wondering if these are standard
> instructions. I was curious if she's wearing only the swimsuit, is it
> ok if she pees in the pool?

Yeah. The main thing is to catch her poop. The chlorine will take care of
the pee (it will oxidize the urea).

That is what the swimsuit or swim diapers do.

Jeff

> How come it's not mandatory to wear the
> little swimmers diaper?
>
> Just wondering! Thanks.

Melania
March 16th 05, 12:53 AM
Jeff wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > I'll be taking my not-yet-diaper-trained dd to swimming lessons
soon.
> > Their pamphlet mentioned that she should be either wearing a
swimsuit
> > or a little swimmers type diaper. I was wondering if these are
standard
> > instructions. I was curious if she's wearing only the swimsuit, is
it
> > ok if she pees in the pool?
>
> Yeah. The main thing is to catch her poop. The chlorine will take
care of
> the pee (it will oxidize the urea).
>
> That is what the swimsuit or swim diapers do.

Really? Because the swim diapers we buy have a big picture of a kid
wearing a swim diaper with the backside bulging out, with the no
smoking circle over it - I always thought that meant "these things are
*not* meant for catching poop."

They catch the pee, at least most of it - I take ds's off over the
potty, and if he hasn't peed it's not an issue, but if he has there's a
little pool of urine (definitely not pool water!) inside that needs to
be dumped out.

Regardless, though, I never knew a toilet trained kid who didn't pee in
the pool. So I wouldn't worry too much about the pee escaping.

Melania
Mom to Joffre (Jan 11, 2003)
and #2 (edd May 21, 2005)

Mary W.
March 16th 05, 01:20 AM
Melania wrote:
> Jeff wrote:
>
> wrote in message
oups.com...

>>>I'll be taking my not-yet-diaper-trained dd to swimming lessons
>
> soon.
>
>>>Their pamphlet mentioned that she should be either wearing a
>
> swimsuit
>
>>>or a little swimmers type diaper. I was wondering if these are
>
> standard
>
>>>instructions. I was curious if she's wearing only the swimsuit, is
>
> it
>
>>>ok if she pees in the pool?
>>
>>Yeah. The main thing is to catch her poop. The chlorine will take
>
> care of
>
>>the pee (it will oxidize the urea).
>>
>>That is what the swimsuit or swim diapers do.
>

> Really? Because the swim diapers we buy have a big picture of a kid
> wearing a swim diaper with the backside bulging out, with the no
> smoking circle over it - I always thought that meant "these things are
> *not* meant for catching poop."

Our pool insists on the plastic pants with the tight elastic
over the swim diaper - I think because they do leak the poop and
if poop gets in the pool, they have to close it for a bit to
decontaminate (I guess).

Mary W.

Nan
March 16th 05, 01:50 AM
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 01:20:04 GMT, "Mary W."
> scribbled:

>Our pool insists on the plastic pants with the tight elastic
>over the swim diaper - I think because they do leak the poop and
>if poop gets in the pool, they have to close it for a bit to
>decontaminate (I guess).

Oh my, I'm reminded of that scene in the movie "Caddyshack".... okay,
I'm dating myself ;-)

Nan

Beth Kevles
March 16th 05, 03:11 AM
Hi --

You need to be sure your baby is in something that will keep in any poop
that happens. If poop gets loose in the pool, then the pool has to be
closed for a period (maybe an hour, maybe overnight -- it depends --
while the pool gets sufficiently cleaned.

We always made sure that our kids had pooped recently, so we could be
*reasonably* sure they wouldn't do it in the pool.

Urine doesn't matter so much. It's much less likely to contain anything
contagious.

The details of what kind of diaper to use varies from pool to pool. The
goal, however, is the same.

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

Jeff
March 16th 05, 03:26 AM
"Beth Kevles" > wrote in message

> Hi --
>
> You need to be sure your baby is in something that will keep in any poop
> that happens. If poop gets loose in the pool, then the pool has to be
> closed for a period (maybe an hour, maybe overnight -- it depends --
> while the pool gets sufficiently cleaned.
>
> We always made sure that our kids had pooped recently, so we could be
> *reasonably* sure they wouldn't do it in the pool.

How do you accomplish this? I could see if your child doesn;t poop for 6 or
8 hours after the last one, you wait until your baby does a poop before
going for your afternoon swim, but what if you have a class at 1:00 PM and
you don't have that luxary?

> Urine doesn't matter so much. It's much less likely to contain anything
> contagious.
>
> The details of what kind of diaper to use varies from pool to pool. The
> goal, however, is the same.
>
> --Beth Kevles
>
> http://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html -- a page for the milk-allergic
> Disclaimer: Nothing in this message should be construed as medical
> advice. Please consult with your own medical practicioner.
>
> NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the AOL one if you would
> like me to reply.

Mary W.
March 16th 05, 02:34 PM
Nan wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 01:20:04 GMT, "Mary W."
> > scribbled:
>

>>Our pool insists on the plastic pants with the tight elastic
>>over the swim diaper - I think because they do leak the poop and
>>if poop gets in the pool, they have to close it for a bit to
>>decontaminate (I guess).
>

> Oh my, I'm reminded of that scene in the movie "Caddyshack".... okay,
> I'm dating myself ;-)

Ha! Thanks for the imagery. And I'll be dated right along with
you.....

Mary W.

lenny fackler
March 16th 05, 05:25 PM
Nan wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 01:20:04 GMT, "Mary W."
> > scribbled:
>

> >Our pool insists on the plastic pants with the tight elastic
> >over the swim diaper - I think because they do leak the poop and
> >if poop gets in the pool, they have to close it for a bit to
> >decontaminate (I guess).
>
> Oh my, I'm reminded of that scene in the movie "Caddyshack".... okay,
> I'm dating myself ;-)
>
> Nan

it's a baby ruth

Jeff
March 16th 05, 06:04 PM
"Nan" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 01:20:04 GMT, "Mary W."
> > scribbled:
>

>>Our pool insists on the plastic pants with the tight elastic
>>over the swim diaper - I think because they do leak the poop and
>>if poop gets in the pool, they have to close it for a bit to
>>decontaminate (I guess).
>
> Oh my, I'm reminded of that scene in the movie "Caddyshack".... okay,
> I'm dating myself ;-)

In the pool to which my brother's family belongs has a lot of young
families. They have problems with parents who are too busy talking to attend
to thier children's elimination needs. One kid was say, "I have to go to the
bathroom now." After the child was ignored by the gabbing parent, he did his
business in the pool. They have to close the pool down until enough time has
passed for the entire volume of water to pass through the filter.

Every Independence Day, there is baking contest. One of the entries was
shaped just like the pool with raisins for floaters.

Now, every hour they have a ten-minute period during which kids must leave
the pool.

Jeff