PDA

View Full Version : Review: The Ring Two (**)

Steve Rhodes
March 17th 05, 07:22 AM
THE RING TWO
A film review by Steve Rhodes

Copyright 2005 Steve Rhodes

RATING (0 TO ****): **

Sheeeeeeeeeeee's baaaaaaaaaaaack! Samara, the girl drowned by her mother in
THE RING, is back again and still starring in her own video, which is a real
killer. Also back is Aidan Keller (David Dorfman, a look-a-like for THE
SIXTH SENSE's Haley Joel Osment), who all but announces, "I see wet people."
As it did in the original, THE RING TWO features lots of water. The biggest
difference this time appears to be a dramatic increase in the special
effects budget, almost all of which is spent on tricks with bathtub water.

The best scene in this lumbering, would-be horror thriller occurs on a
lonely country road. Almost the only scary moment in the movie, this
episode would make a good driver's training video to show how dangerous
harmless-looking situations can quickly become. Naomi Watts, repeating the
role of Aidan's mother, is the driver in this briefly hellacious trip down a
heavily forested road.

Hideo Nakata, the director of RINGU, the Japanese original upon which THE
RING was based, directs THE RING TWO, but he can't find much of anything
original to do. This formulaic film features the usual
bet-we-can-make-you-jump tricks, which almost never make you move a muscle,
as well as the canonical fake first ending. You're right, the monster is
not dead yet' kiddies. But, if you can somehow stay awake through twenty
more minutes, we promise we really will kill her the next time. (Although
not permanently. If enough of you buy tickets to THE RING TWO, we'll
happily keep making sequels -- to THE RING TEN and beyond. After all, other
lucrative horror movie franchises refuse to die.)

THE RING TWO runs a long 1:51. It is rated PG-13 for "violence/terror,
disturbing images, thematic elements and some language" and would be
acceptable for teenagers.

The film opens nationwide in the United States on Friday, March 18, 2005.
In the Silicon Valley, it will be showing at the AMC theaters, the Century
theaters and the Camera Cinemas.

Web: http://www.InternetReviews.com

Email:

Want free reviews and weekly movie and video recommendations via Email?

Just send me a letter with the word "subscribe" in the subject line.