PDA

View Full Version : Review: The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill (** 1/2)

Steve Rhodes
March 26th 05, 04:10 AM
THE WILD PARROTS OF TELEGRAPH HILL
A film review by Steve Rhodes

Copyright 2005 Steve Rhodes

RATING (0 TO ****): ** 1/2

Judy Irving's THE WILD PARROTS OF TELEGRAPH HILL is a sweet little film that
is a surprising hit at the art houses. A movie that would seem destined to
play once on some nature channel and be quickly forgotten has instead become
a movie that resonates positively and passionately with almost all of those
who see it. Certainly that is what I had heard universally before I went to
see it.

The film is about the wild parrots in San Francisco and about an eccentric
named Mark Bittner, an unemployed but well-spoken fiftyish guy with a
ponytail. He cares for a large flock of the birds that live in his
neighborhood. The movie covers many little stories with one of the best
being various urban legends about how these exotic parrots, whose ancestors
were originally pets, got unleashed into their non-native environment of San
Francisco.

The cinematography is rather washed out, but the lush colors of the birds
still come through reasonably well. The parrots are noisy, gregarious and
territorial -- a lot like some humans I've known. I enjoyed my time with
Bittner and his birds, but, when I left, the mystery had not been solved for
me. I still can't figure out why this film has attracted such a loyal
following when so many better documentaries are ignored or never even booked
into theaters. Still, the birds were cute, and I'm always happy to see
documentaries make some money since they are my favorite genre.

THE WILD PARROTS OF TELEGRAPH HILL runs 1:23. It is rated G and would be
acceptable for all ages.

The film is playing in nationwide release now in the United States. In the
Silicon Valley, it is showing at the Camera Cinemas.

Web: http://www.InternetReviews.com

Email:

Want free reviews and weekly movie and video recommendations via Email?

Just send me a letter with the word "subscribe" in the subject line.