PDA

View Full Version : This is unreal-Teen IMPRISONED in Kentucky for writing zombie story

zeez
March 28th 05, 03:19 PM
http://www.lex18.com/Global/story.asp?S=2989614

(Note that the kid made NO threats, used NO real people in his
story, and didn't even use his school. This is beyond insane, this
is Bedlam.)

>Kentucky's Lex 18 news site reports that an 18-year-old high-school
>student is facing terrorist threat charges because of a zombie story
>he wrote for his English class. William Poole, an 18-year-old student
>at George Rogers Clark High School, was arrested after his
>grandparents found the tale, in which the undead attack a
high school, in his journal and turned it over to police. "I've
>been working on one of my short stories, [and] the short story they
>found was about zombies," Poole told Lex 18. "Yes, it did say a high
>school. It was about a high school overrun by zombies." Despite the
>obviously fantastical nature of his writing, and the fact that
>neither his own school nor any real people, school officials or
>police were mentioned in the story,

I wonder if Stephen King would've gotten the chair! :\

>Poole was taken into custody on a second-degree felony terrorist
>threatening charge. "Anytime you make any threat or possess matter
>involving a school or function, it's a felony in the state of
>Kentucky,"

Even if it's not even a real school?! Stupid morons! >:(

>Winchester Police detective Steven Caudill told Lex 18. A judge even
>raised Poole's bond from $1,000 to $5,000 at the prosecutors'
>request, >due to the "seriousness" of the charges. Poole is currently

The seriousness of the charges is how the nazis handled this kid,
who DID NOTHING WRONG WHATSOEVER!

>being held >at the Clark County Detention Center. (Thanks to Dyson
>O'Connor) ->Michael Gingold

There it is folks. Our country is headed fast down the road of
facism, where even common sense is gone.

Hierophant
March 28th 05, 05:31 PM
It's the southern state of Kentucky a red state not the whole U.S.A.
people are stupid in the south.

It wouldn't happen in N.Y. state.

Jeff
March 28th 05, 06:30 PM
"Hierophant" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> It's the southern state of Kentucky a red state not the whole U.S.A.
> people are stupid in the south.

No matter where you go, some people are stupid. I don't see any evidence
that people are stupider in the south compared to anywhere else.

> It wouldn't happen in N.Y. state.

Don't be so sure.

Even if that is true, that is because people in the south are more
conservative. Being conservative doesn't make one stupid (or vice versa).

Jeff

Catherine Woodgold
March 29th 05, 12:22 AM
Ridiculous. Terrible. An outrage.

Reminds me of the outrageous case here in Ontario
a few years ago. (Before 9/11, I belieive.)
As I remember it, a high school class was
assigned the homework of writing a story that evokes
an emotion. "Fear" was one of the choices they were
given. Well, one of them wrote a story that evoked fear.
He was arrested and spent a month in jail.

A number of famous authors spoke out
in support of him.

In that case, after he presented the story
in class, someone asked him whether he
was really going to do whatever as in the
story, and he said something like "wait and
see." Well, that could possibly be interpreted
as a threat. Doesn't seem to me to warrant
a month in jail.

Meanwhile, a number of other students who had
actually beaten up this student previously, and
injured him, were completely ignored by the
police as far as I know. No charges laid
for actually beating someone up; a month
in jail for saying "wait and see."
--
Cathy
A *much* better world is possible.

April 8th 05, 09:33 PM
And yet, had Mr. Poole actually been found, after a tragic event such
as Columbine, to have written this so-called zombie story, the public
would have had a field day torching our police force here in
Winchester, for knowing about it, and doing nothing.

If you do not live in Winchester, if you do not have a student at
GRCHS, if you do not know our fine police force, if you have not read
Mr. Poole's family's comments on his stability, need for medication,
etc., perhaps you should not be commenting, until you have done further
research.

Renee
Winchester Resident By Choice, GRCHS Parent of Three

Cathy Weeks
April 9th 05, 05:12 PM
wrote:
> And yet, had Mr. Poole actually been found, after a tragic event such
> as Columbine, to have written this so-called zombie story, the public
> would have had a field day torching our police force here in
> Winchester, for knowing about it, and doing nothing.
>
> If you do not live in Winchester, if you do not have a student at
> GRCHS, if you do not know our fine police force, if you have not read
> Mr. Poole's family's comments on his stability, need for medication,
> etc., perhaps you should not be commenting, until you have done
further
> research.

This is patently ridulous. So we shouldn't have theoretical
discussions until we have all the facts, which are probably downright
impossible to get? When people have discussions like this, we are using
the information that is readily available. IF it comes to light, that
we aren't working with the whole story, THEN we are free to change our
minds. That doesn't make these comments invalid on a theoretical
level.

Maybe you should find out about all the kids who were arrested or
persecuted and never would have harmed anyone. My brother was one. He
was interviewed by the police and badly picked on at school for merely
associating with someone who had drawn a plan of the school. My brother
to this day, swears that the guy wouldn't have done anything to harm
anyone. That kid's family had to move away, and my brother had to take
a year off to get away from the persecution (he spent a year as a
foreign exchange student).

Many years ago, my husband wrote an objectionable short story as a HS
student, and it was done only to tweak his teacher. Today, he would
have been arrested for it.

This is getting ridiculous. People have lost their common sense.

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01

Hierophant
April 11th 05, 06:17 AM
Renee

Maybe you should fill us in. Zombie story arrest? What are we
missing? What does this students past history have to do with a Zombie
story?

Where could we possably be mistaken?