PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Q

P. Tierney
April 2nd 05, 06:44 PM
My memory of the early days with #1 has faded, so a quick
question for #2.

2.5 month old, supposedly, should be nearing 2-3 naps per day.
I've been tracking his naps, and he's still going like a cat -- lots more
per day, 15 minutes to an hour. Any reason for concern about his
sleep, or will this all fade? Or might there be a problem that I'm
missing?

A few background facts: He sleeps in a co-sleeper next to the bed
at night and sleeps well at night -- wakes to eat, get backs to sleep
pretty easily. During the day, we are out and about often -- some sources
say to have the child nap and sleep in the same place all of the time,
but I can't/won't do that, as it would landlock my other child and I
have to raise her too.

Thanks.

P. Tierney

Ericka Kammerer
April 2nd 05, 07:15 PM
P. Tierney wrote:

> My memory of the early days with #1 has faded, so a quick
> question for #2.
>
> 2.5 month old, supposedly, should be nearing 2-3 naps per day.
> I've been tracking his naps, and he's still going like a cat -- lots more
> per day, 15 minutes to an hour. Any reason for concern about his
> sleep, or will this all fade? Or might there be a problem that I'm
> missing?
>
> A few background facts: He sleeps in a co-sleeper next to the bed
> at night and sleeps well at night -- wakes to eat, get backs to sleep
> pretty easily. During the day, we are out and about often -- some sources
> say to have the child nap and sleep in the same place all of the time,
> but I can't/won't do that, as it would landlock my other child and I
> have to raise her too.

It's a tough call, and you have to feel your way through
to a solution that works for both children. Odds are that your
peripatetic life *is* affecting the baby's naps. On the other hand,
you don't want to tie your daughter down to the house all day.
I'd be looking for some sort of compromise. By this age, I'd
be shooting for three-ish good naps per day, and I'd try to
adopt a bit more schedule so that at least one of the naps
(probably the early afternoon one, as that's the one that's
most likely to stay consistent for the long term) could be
more consistently taken in a familiar, relatively quiet place.
I know that you're not particularly fond of schedule,
and I seem to recall that your schedule is skewed somewhat
later than usual. At that age, mine would have been waking
around 7am and taking naps around 9am, 1pm, and 6pm. There
was not insignificant variations in those times, but for
the sake of discussion they were in that ballpark. I'd try
to be consistent about doing the 1pm nap in the cradle,
which was really easy with #2 because #1 was napping then
too. With #3 it was a tad more challenging, but I knew we'd
likely have an afternoon nap for a long time to come (five
years, if things worked out the same as with the first two),
so it was time to rearrange my schedule to accommodate an
afternoon nap. The early evening nap I usually timed with
dinner. That way, it was easier for the rest of the family
to eat (whether at home or at a restaurant). The morning
nap was the one that was the loosest, by necessity. If
I didn't need to be out, I'd put the baby down in the cradle
for that nap, but if I had to be out, I'd try to plan errands
so that there was a decent stretch in one place so the baby
could nap in the stroller or carseat. If I was home with a
toddler, I'd plan home playtime for that time period and
schedule going out and about with the other child before
or after the nap.
It *does* impact everyone else's life. I figure
that's just the way life is in a family. We all have to
accommodate. That's what comes with having more family
members. You can still do things. You just have to plan
how to do them while still meeting everyone's needs. Personally,
I didn't find it too bad to accommodate a baby and a toddler,
even with mostly napping at home. The baby was still up enough
to provide plenty of opportunity for playing out of the house
and running errands. Most toddler/preschooler activities
don't go on for hours and hours anyway. It's been more
challenging with a baby and older children, because their
activities are all over the place, but during the school
year, it's easier to keep the daytime sleep protected. It
means I have get cracking in the morning if I'm going to
do anything, because I can just barely make it through lunch
and then she needs to sleep. On the other hand, I'll take
that over a cranky toddler any day of the week. She's *so*
much easier to deal with when she's had a good nap. I'll
endure quite a bit of inconvenience to make sure she's
had a good nap and will be happy and good-natured the rest
of the day!
You may find that your baby is more flexible, but
my experience is that once you have multiple kids and can
no longer devote as much time and energy catering to a
single child, it becomes more essential that everyone is
well rested. You just don't have the luxury of being able
to humor along someone who's cranky from lack of sleep.
I really needed everyone to be flexible and good-natured
and resilient in order to be better able to meet everyone's
needs.

Best wishes,
Ericka

P. Tierney
April 2nd 05, 07:40 PM
There are some good points that I wanted to respond to
later, but I'm on the run now and did want to point out
before things moved along:

"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote:

> I know that you're not particularly fond of schedule,

My youngest child had a schedule for about two years.
Not a "schedule" as defined by Ferber or Babywise, I don't
think, but still a schedule. She just got to the point where
she could vary things widely and still function very well.
She'll have a schedule when she starts school in 2.5 years,
and maybe sooner. That is fine.

So with the young child, I am aware that a schedule of
sorts will be used. I was (as I did with my first child) looking
for patterns to better fix a schedule by his given patterns.
I just wasn't seeing any patterns yet. The naps are
still very short. I'm not sure if I should try to make them
longer somehow, or just wait it out.

I should also point out that my other child isn't and won't
be in a preschool or PDO program, so I'm working things
around that isn't an option. Thx.

P.
Tierney

Ericka Kammerer
April 2nd 05, 08:38 PM
P. Tierney wrote:

> So with the young child, I am aware that a schedule of
> sorts will be used. I was (as I did with my first child) looking
> for patterns to better fix a schedule by his given patterns.
> I just wasn't seeing any patterns yet. The naps are
> still very short. I'm not sure if I should try to make them
> longer somehow, or just wait it out.

Personally, while I'm very much in favor of following
the child's lead, I think I'd be proactive in this situation.
I think it's partly an nth child issue. With the first child,
it's much easier to be reactive without having to deal with
so many things that can negatively affect things. Once you've
got that toddler/preschooler sort of running the show, life
is a lot more exciting for the baby in the house. Things are
more active, there's more running around, etc. These things
sort of naturally lead to that more fragmented sleep if you
don't try to carve out a little protected time. It's often
pretty subtle, and I'm not suggesting that the baby will
immediately rush to sleep in longer stretches. I'm just
suggesting that the pace of life is different with a
toddler/preschooler in the house, and this tends to be
an environment that encourages that sort of catnapping
in lots of little ways. I'd try to create an environment
that is more encouraging of longer naps, but if that didn't
work, I wouldn't wig out.
Bottom line: there's a decent enough chance that
life with an older sib is encouraging the catnapping that
I'd make some changes to encourage longer naps, but it's
possible that he's just still too little, so I wouldn't
force the issue in any way. I'd just try to create the
best opportunity for longer naps.

> I should also point out that my other child isn't and won't
> be in a preschool or PDO program, so I'm working things
> around that isn't an option. Thx.

Yeah, I recalled that--but as you are fond of
pointing out, you can recreate much of what is good about
preschool at home ;-) That might include some targeted
activities during the day that assist with your baby's
schedule (or not--just a possibility to consider). I'd
usually run the legs off the older kid while the baby
was up and active (fresh air good for all) and then
we'd be ready for some quiet play while baby napped.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Sidheag McCormack
April 2nd 05, 10:13 PM
IMHO, this is fine. DS was certainly doing the same at that age (but
sleeping even less during the day, actually). He didn't really start to
take proper daytime naps until 6/7 months old - at which time his nighttime
sleep fell apart ;-(

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003 (now sleeps through the whole night sometimes, at last)

toto
April 2nd 05, 11:43 PM
On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 17:44:02 GMT, "P. Tierney"
> wrote:

> My memory of the early days with #1 has faded, so a quick
>question for #2.
>
> 2.5 month old, supposedly, should be nearing 2-3 naps per day.
>I've been tracking his naps, and he's still going like a cat -- lots more
>per day, 15 minutes to an hour. Any reason for concern about his
>sleep, or will this all fade? Or might there be a problem that I'm
>missing?

My ds never took two naps until close to 6 months and he did much
better after he went to one nap about about 12 months.

> A few background facts: He sleeps in a co-sleeper next to the bed
>at night and sleeps well at night -- wakes to eat, get backs to sleep
>pretty easily. During the day, we are out and about often -- some sources
>say to have the child nap and sleep in the same place all of the time,
>but I can't/won't do that, as it would landlock my other child and I
>have to raise her too.

Everything depends on the child's rhythms. My dgs who is now 12
months still isn't consistent in his nap times. When my dd was
little we did come home for naps mostly, but ds was in nursery
school in the morning, so it was easy to do and he napped in the
afternoon at about the same time she napped.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits

Rosalie B.
April 3rd 05, 12:11 AM
>P. Tierney wrote:
<snip>
>> 2.5 month old, supposedly, should be nearing 2-3 naps per day.
>> I've been tracking his naps, and he's still going like a cat -- lots more
>> per day, 15 minutes to an hour. Any reason for concern about his
>> sleep, or will this all fade? Or might there be a problem that I'm
>> missing?

As long as he sleeps well at night and isn't cranky during the day,
don't worry about it. Babies adjust, and it looks to me like he's
adjusted just fine. If he's generally happy, why would you want him
to do anything different? Just because the 'experts' say 2-3 naps a
day doesn't mean he has to actually do that - it's just a guideline.

>> A few background facts: He sleeps in a co-sleeper next to the bed
>> at night and sleeps well at night -- wakes to eat, get backs to sleep
>> pretty easily. During the day, we are out and about often -- some sources
>> say to have the child nap and sleep in the same place all of the time,
>> but I can't/won't do that, as it would landlock my other child and I
>> have to raise her too.

It's a good idea to have a 'place' for sleep, especially IMHO
nighttime sleep. I don't think it is as important for naps. After
the first child, all of mine napped in the car and at various times in
other places. Not a problem as long as they don't sleep so long
during the day that they don't sleep at night or they don't get cranky
either from being waked up due to the car stopping, or because they
are fighting going to sleep.

This is the case where the results matter more than the way that you
get there. If the baby is doing well, don't worry.

grandma Rosalie

Sue
April 3rd 05, 02:26 PM
"P. Tierney" > wrote in message
> During the day, we are out and about often -- some sources
> say to have the child nap and sleep in the same place all of the time,
> but I can't/won't do that, as it would landlock my other child and I
> have to raise her too.

This is the part that bothers me. Why does your first child have to be
entertained outside of the house so much? Do you not think it's fair that
the younger child have his needs met also just like you did with your first?
Doesn't your first child have the ability to play on her own for say at
least a couple of hours in the afternoon, so at least the other child could
get a good nap in and in a consistent place and time?
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Barbara Bomberger
April 3rd 05, 02:36 PM
On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 09:26:00 -0400, "Sue" >
wrote:

>"P. Tierney" > wrote in message
>> During the day, we are out and about often -- some sources
>> say to have the child nap and sleep in the same place all of the time,
>> but I can't/won't do that, as it would landlock my other child and I
>> have to raise her too.
>
>This is the part that bothers me. Why does your first child have to be
>entertained outside of the house so much? Do you not think it's fair that
>the younger child have his needs met also just like you did with your first?
>Doesn't your first child have the ability to play on her own for say at
>least a couple of hours in the afternoon, so at least the other child could
>get a good nap in and in a consistent place and time?

In my experience while it is nice and a goodidea to have consistency
for nighttime sleep, its not as necessary for daytime sleep.

I dont know what they ages of your children are, but during nice
weather we were often out and about for most of the day., and when the
older ones where is school I still had a baby, so said baby went where
we were. baby had a comfortable stroller and a comforable car seat.

But then again, only half of my kids ever napped at the same time
every day. Some kids do that, or can be trained to, but some kids
canot.

toto
April 3rd 05, 03:25 PM
wrote:

>"P. Tierney" > wrote in message
>> During the day, we are out and about often -- some sources
>> say to have the child nap and sleep in the same place all of the time,
>> but I can't/won't do that, as it would landlock my other child and I
>> have to raise her too.
>
>This is the part that bothers me. Why does your first child have to be
>entertained outside of the house so much? Do you not think it's fair that
>the younger child have his needs met also just like you did with your first?
>Doesn't your first child have the ability to play on her own for say at
>least a couple of hours in the afternoon, so at least the other child could
>get a good nap in and in a consistent place and time?

At 2 1/2 months, very few babies sleep at a consistent time, so it is
hard to figure out when to be home. When the little one is older,
this may be more important.

Also not all babies sleep so much during the day. My ds actually
catnapped until he got into the consistent one nap a day schedule
at around 11 to 13 months. We were out and about alot when his
sister was born too. She slept in the stroller though when we walked
to the park or to town. She slept more than her brother did, but
still didn't really have a consistent nap pattern until she was around
6 months old or so.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits

shinypenny
April 3rd 05, 04:51 PM
P. Tierney wrote:

> I've been tracking his naps, and he's still going like a cat -- lots
more
> per day, 15 minutes to an hour. Any reason for concern about his
> sleep, or will this all fade? Or might there be a problem that I'm
> missing?

Sometimes babies aren't actually sleeping - they are shutting down
against too much stimulation.

I would consider that the 15 minute cat-naps are not actually naps,
especially if these tend to occur when you are out and about and
there's lots of commotion around, such as going to the grocery store or
a playdate or playground. This can happen even if you're not out
running around - t.v. noise, kids playing, people talking in the home
can cause a baby with an immature nervous system to close its eyes and
shut it all out.

This is not bad per se (it is self-protective), but the consequence is
that often the baby must release all the extra stimulation later on in
the day. This tends to result in a colicky period, usually around
dinner time. Does your baby have a loud and long colicky period every
day?

If so, then I might experiment with the schedule and try to carve out a
consistent nap period in a quiet room. DD#1 was very disorganized and
colicky, and would cat-nap all through out the day; it took very little
stimulation for her to shut down - even the t.v. or radio was too much.

My DD#2 wasn't anywhere as disorganized as her older sister was, but
what we did was to confine all the running around and other activities
to the morning hours, when DD#2 was fresh from a night's sleep, and
then have a regularly scheduled afternoon nap at home in her crib. When
DD#1 gave up her afternoon naps, we would still have playdates in the
home, but DD#2 would be tucked away in her crib, away from all the
stimulation.

Good luck! This period doesn't last forever.

jen

Ericka Kammerer
April 3rd 05, 08:26 PM
Barbara Bomberger wrote:

> In my experience while it is nice and a goodidea to have consistency
> for nighttime sleep, its not as necessary for daytime sleep.

That depends very much on the child. Two of mine would
*not* sleep anywhere near as much if we were out an about, so
not having some degree of consistency for daytime sleep resulted
in a very cranky child.

Best wishes,
Ericka

P. Tierney
April 4th 05, 08:01 AM
"Rosalie B." > wrote in message

>>P. Tierney wrote:
> <snip>
>>> 2.5 month old, supposedly, should be nearing 2-3 naps per day.
>>> I've been tracking his naps, and he's still going like a cat -- lots
>>> more
>>> per day, 15 minutes to an hour. Any reason for concern about his
>>> sleep, or will this all fade? Or might there be a problem that I'm
>>> missing?
>>>
> As long as he sleeps well at night and isn't cranky during the day,
> don't worry about it. Babies adjust, and it looks to me like he's
> adjusted just fine. If he's generally happy, why would you want him
> to do anything different? Just because the 'experts' say 2-3 naps a
> day doesn't mean he has to actually do that - it's just a guideline.

Whether it is from "experts" or just other regular parents, I often
like to hear from other experiences before deciding on issues that
are not certain to me. If that is a character flaw, then it is one that
I'll gladly live with. Gathering information, in my experience, has
always been useful. Thank you for sharing yours.

P. Tierney

P. Tierney
April 4th 05, 08:01 AM
"Sue" > wrote in message
> "P. Tierney" > wrote in message
>> During the day, we are out and about often -- some sources
>> say to have the child nap and sleep in the same place all of the time,
>> but I can't/won't do that, as it would landlock my other child and I
>> have to raise her too.
>
> This is the part that bothers me. Why does your first child have to be
> entertained outside of the house so much?

I'm not sure how much "so much" is, or why you think that is the
case for me given the information that I have provided. Regardless,
that is not what I asked about.

> Do you not think it's fair that
> the younger child have his needs met also just like you did with your
> first?

It is up to me as the parent to decide how to best allocate my
time to each child.

> Doesn't your first child have the ability to play on her own for say at
> least a couple of hours in the afternoon, so at least the other child
> could
> get a good nap in and in a consistent place and time?

Some who answered my inquiry directly stated that this was
important, while several others stated that (depending on the child)
it might not be. Or, that lengthy and regular naps may not be
expected or necessary at this age. I'll use their experiences and
information to best decide what to do with my child.

P. Tierney

P. Tierney
April 4th 05, 08:01 AM
"shinypenny" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> P. Tierney wrote:
>
>> I've been tracking his naps, and he's still going like a cat -- lots
> more
>> per day, 15 minutes to an hour. Any reason for concern about his
>> sleep, or will this all fade? Or might there be a problem that I'm
>> missing?
>
> Sometimes babies aren't actually sleeping - they are shutting down
> against too much stimulation.
>
> I would consider that the 15 minute cat-naps are not actually naps,
> especially if these tend to occur when you are out and about and
> there's lots of commotion around,

I agree that they aren't "naps" in a generally qualitative sense.
But they often do occur in the quiet of the bedroom.

> This is not bad per se (it is self-protective), but the consequence is
> that often the baby must release all the extra stimulation later on in
> the day. This tends to result in a colicky period, usually around
> dinner time. Does your baby have a loud and long colicky period every
> day?

I'm not sure -- how long is long?

He's better as the day begins, has a few cranky periods each day,
not at any particular times that I've noticed. My spouse considers
him good-natured compared to our first, and she was far from
colicky, so I can't say for sure. I'm starting to track his sleep more
to get a better idea.

> If so, then I might experiment with the schedule and try to carve out a
> consistent nap period in a quiet room. DD#1 was very disorganized and
> colicky, and would cat-nap all through out the day; it took very little
> stimulation for her to shut down - even the t.v. or radio was too much.
>
> My DD#2 wasn't anywhere as disorganized as her older sister was, but
> what we did was to confine all the running around and other activities
> to the morning hours, when DD#2 was fresh from a night's sleep, and
> then have a regularly scheduled afternoon nap at home in her crib. When
> DD#1 gave up her afternoon naps, we would still have playdates in the
> home, but DD#2 would be tucked away in her crib, away from all the
> stimulation.

I'm in the "data gathering" stage, but I may end up doing something
like the above, depending on how things look on paper.

> Good luck! This period doesn't last forever.

Thanks. ;-)

P. Tierney

P. Tierney
April 4th 05, 08:01 AM
"P. Tierney" > wrote in message
> My memory of the early days with #1 has faded, so a quick
> question for #2.
>
> 2.5 month old, supposedly, should be nearing 2-3 naps per day.
> I've been tracking his naps, and he's still going like a cat -- lots more
> per day, 15 minutes to an hour. Any reason for concern about his
> sleep, or will this all fade? Or might there be a problem that I'm
> missing?

What I've learned from the other posts is that:

1. He may not be ready for longer naps.
2. More consistently located naps may or may not even be needed
3. Or, whatever crankiness he has, his current situation may be
the cause

I'm tracking his sleep on paper for now to look for patterns, and I'll
ride things out for a week or two until I get enough information (which
might be a prep for No-Cry Sleep Solution approach). I know that
different kids require different things. I also know that poor sleep (along
with diet) are the top causes for difficulties among kids, so I'll see if
that appears to be the case for now. As is, however, I can't force him
to sleep longer. Still, something interesting happened today:

Before today: He napped 25 minutes at most on his own. He
would sometimes nap longer with a parent, but would wake
in periods. Often used a pacifier. Sometimes napped slightly
longer in the Bjorn.

Today: Someone, unexpectly and coincidentally, brought over a
used Graco swing -- on of those self-standing ones that rocks at a
few differently speeds. Sitting outside in the warm sun, despite
much stimulation going on, he napped for TWO AND A HALF
HOURS! With no pacifier. Emphasis mine. ;-)

Anyway, it's just one data point, but I'll see if it leads
anywhere. Thanks.

P.
Tierney

shinypenny
April 4th 05, 01:23 PM
P. Tierney wrote:

> I agree that they aren't "naps" in a generally qualitative sense.
> But they often do occur in the quiet of the bedroom.

Ah, okay. That is probably something different then.

Since the swing worked like a charm, it could be your baby likes motion
and also being cradled in a seat with sides, versus laying down in a
crib which is much more open. Have you tried swaddling? Might be
getting too old for that, but worth a try.

My DD#1 loved to be swaddled for a long time (can't remember what age
she finally started kicking it off), and slept best if I held her or
she was in her car seat versus in the crib. I think a baby sling
would've been ideal for her, but I'm very short with a bad back so that
wasn't a good option for me.

She also much preferred sleeping on her tummy, but there are so many
warnings against that. I do recall I eventually gave up and ignored the
warnings, since it was the only way she'd get to sleep at night whether
in bed with me or a crib.

Ultimately this'll probably all boil down to "all babies are
different," and your child just needs less sleep, and is a "power
napper." For example, my DD#2 hated to be swaddled, preferred to sleep
on her back with her arms and legs spread wide open, and hated to be
held while sleeping!

I would say if your baby is sleeping fine at night, isn't too colicky,
and you're not at your wit's end yet due to lack of sleep, don't fret
about it too much.

Good luck!

jen

Nan
April 4th 05, 02:03 PM
On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 07:01:17 GMT, "P. Tierney"
> wrote:

>Today: Someone, unexpectly and coincidentally, brought over a
> used Graco swing -- on of those self-standing ones that rocks at a
> few differently speeds. Sitting outside in the warm sun, despite
> much stimulation going on, he napped for TWO AND A HALF
> HOURS! With no pacifier. Emphasis mine. ;-)

It sounds like he likes motion.... you mentioned a Bjorn carrier
(which I like, but not for napping... it seems too odd of a position
for the baby). Perhaps you could try a ring-type sling such as a maya
wrap? It swaddles them close to you, and your movements throughout
the day could help him sleep. It could also allow you the freedom to
get out and about with your older child. I used mine a lot, and loved
it. Just one more thought for you :-)

Nan

P. Tierney
April 4th 05, 02:49 PM
"Nan" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 07:01:17 GMT, "P. Tierney"
> > wrote:
>
>>Today: Someone, unexpectly and coincidentally, brought over a
>> used Graco swing -- on of those self-standing ones that rocks at a
>> few differently speeds. Sitting outside in the warm sun, despite
>> much stimulation going on, he napped for TWO AND A HALF
>> HOURS! With no pacifier. Emphasis mine. ;-)
>
> It sounds like he likes motion.... you mentioned a Bjorn carrier
> (which I like, but not for napping... it seems too odd of a position
> for the baby). Perhaps you could try a ring-type sling such as a maya
> wrap? It swaddles them close to you, and your movements throughout
> the day could help him sleep. It could also allow you the freedom to
> get out and about with your older child. I used mine a lot, and loved
> it. Just one more thought for you :-)

Thanks, we actually do have one and my spouse uses it, but
I've not gotten quite comfortable with it. Even when the kid is
secure as per the instructions, he doesn't feel so to me. Still,
maybe I'll give it another go, as while the Bjorn works okay
for now, they are a bit thick compared to the wrap, thus getting a
bit too hot for the child in the summer months.

P. Tierney

Sue
April 4th 05, 11:21 PM
"P. Tierney" > wrote in message
> I'm not sure how much "so much" is, or why you think that is the case for
me given >the information that I have provided.

Because of your statement that says you are "During the day, we are out and
about often."

> Some who answered my inquiry directly stated that this was
> important, while several others stated that (depending on the child)
> it might not be. Or, that lengthy and regular naps may not be
> expected or necessary at this age. I'll use their experiences and
> information to best decide what to do with my child.

I piped in because of your statement that you can't or won't change your
routine during the day with your older child leads me to think that the time
your younger child might need more of a steady routine. Just because the
others have agreed with the way you do things doesn't mean it's necessairly
the right thing to do. You would need to look at how your child responds and
what kind of mood he is during the day to see if he is getting proper sleep.
Personally, I don't think on the run naps are good for a baby, but obviously
that's just my opinion. :o)
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Catherine Woodgold
April 5th 05, 01:25 AM
"P. Tierney" ) writes:
> "Nan" > wrote in message
>> It sounds like he likes motion.... you mentioned a Bjorn carrier
>> (which I like, but not for napping... it seems too odd of a position
>> for the baby). Perhaps you could try a ring-type sling such as a maya
>> wrap? It swaddles them close to you, and your movements throughout
>> the day could help him sleep. It could also allow you the freedom to
>> get out and about with your older child. I used mine a lot, and loved
>> it. Just one more thought for you :-)
>
> Thanks, we actually do have one and my spouse uses it, but
> I've not gotten quite comfortable with it. Even when the kid is
> secure as per the instructions, he doesn't feel so to me. Still,
> maybe I'll give it another go, as while the Bjorn works okay
> for now, they are a bit thick compared to the wrap, thus getting a
> bit too hot for the child in the summer months.
>

> P. Tierney

A sling sounds to me like a good idea. You can keep one
arm around the baby, in addition to using the sling,
to feel more secure. Worth a try perhaps. Good way of
getting out and about while letting baby sleep.

--
Cathy
A *much* better world is possible.

P. Tierney
April 5th 05, 01:29 AM
"Sue" > wrote in message
> "P. Tierney" > wrote in message
>> I'm not sure how much "so much" is, or why you think that is the case for
> me given >the information that I have provided.
>
> Because of your statement that says you are "During the day, we are out
> and
> about often."

Yes, "often" is correct. I guess that often is too much to you.
So be it.

>> Some who answered my inquiry directly stated that this was
>> important, while several others stated that (depending on the child)
>> it might not be. Or, that lengthy and regular naps may not be
>> expected or necessary at this age. I'll use their experiences and
>> information to best decide what to do with my child.
>
> I piped in because of your statement that you can't or won't change your
> routine during the day with your older child leads me to think that the
> time
> your younger child might need more of a steady routine. Just because the
> others have agreed with the way you do things doesn't mean it's
> necessairly
> the right thing to do.

Nor does it mean that it's the wrong thing to do. Either way, few
have simply agreed or disagreed with my parenting style -- that isn't
what I asked about anyway. I asked about sleep for a 2.5 month old.
How that relates to how I raise my first child is for me to figure out.

P.
Tierney

P. Tierney
April 5th 05, 01:36 AM
"Catherine Woodgold" > wrote in message

> "P. Tierney" ) writes:
>> "Nan" > wrote in message
>>> It sounds like he likes motion.... you mentioned a Bjorn carrier
>>> (which I like, but not for napping... it seems too odd of a position
>>> for the baby). Perhaps you could try a ring-type sling such as a maya
>>> wrap? It swaddles them close to you, and your movements throughout
>>> the day could help him sleep. It could also allow you the freedom to
>>> get out and about with your older child. I used mine a lot, and loved
>>> it. Just one more thought for you :-)
>>
>> Thanks, we actually do have one and my spouse uses it, but
>> I've not gotten quite comfortable with it. Even when the kid is
>> secure as per the instructions, he doesn't feel so to me. Still,
>> maybe I'll give it another go, as while the Bjorn works okay
>> for now, they are a bit thick compared to the wrap, thus getting a
>> bit too hot for the child in the summer months.
>>

> A sling sounds to me like a good idea. You can keep one
> arm around the baby, in addition to using the sling,
> to feel more secure. Worth a try perhaps. Good way of
> getting out and about while letting baby sleep.

It is the best option, I think. I just need to get comfortable
with it. Thanks.

P. Tierney

Sue
April 5th 05, 07:55 PM
"P. Tierney" > wrote in message
>I asked about sleep for a 2.5 month old. How that relates to how I raise my
first child >is for me to figure out.

If your second child's sleep needs are not being met, then you would have to
alter your activities with the first child to accommodate him. This was and
is my point.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Nan
April 5th 05, 09:17 PM
On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 14:55:25 -0400, "Sue" >
wrote:

>"P. Tierney" > wrote in message
>>I asked about sleep for a 2.5 month old. How that relates to how I raise my
>first child >is for me to figure out.
>
>If your second child's sleep needs are not being met, then you would have to
>alter your activities with the first child to accommodate him. This was and
>is my point.

Why? While it may be one solution, it clearly isn't the only
solution. It seems to me that he's trying to figure out a way to meet
the infant's sleep needs without having to confine the older one to
the house. Seems reasonable to me.

Nan