PDA

View Full Version : Teacher Seeking Input On Online Safety Program

July 7th 06, 05:06 PM
Hello All,

My name is Michael and I have been a 7th grade teacher in Orlando for
the past several years. I have always believed the internet to be a
great source both for researching and entertainment. However the events
that transpired this past year truly opened my eyes as to what is out
there for our kids. We had one of our top students created a
MySpace.Com web page for two of our teachers. These profiles were
filled with everything from profanity to pornographic pictures. To make
matters worse other students linked themselves to the fake teacher's
pages which allowed us to see their activity on Myspace.

One student from a very conservative family(we met them in a parent
conference) had a pretty clean Myspace page until you scrolled down to
a quiz she tool. She said her favorite color was red, favorite ice
cream was chocolate and..... she wanted to lose her virginity by 15! To
say the least I was stunned as we saw page after page of this. As I
began talking to parents in parent conferences about this I noticed
they had very little knowledge about what Myspace was or why chat rooms
were a dangerous place for their kids to be. In my mind, knowledge and
communication is what is most lacking when it comes to parenting kids
who use the Internet.

It was at that point that I realized I needed to create a service
whereby I could go to a parents house and instruct them one-on-one as
to what is really out there on the internet and the best ways to
protect their children. As I get this business off the ground I need as
much input as possible from those people that care the most about their
children. I would greatly appreciate it if you could visit my site:
www.CyberSafetyNet.com and reply here as to your thoughts on my
content, and what information as parents you would like to see covered.
I would also like to hear parent's input on the SafeEyes content filter
I have reviewed on my site. I have been working closely with this
company and would like to work as many parent's viewpoints into my
program as possible.

-Mike