PDA

View Full Version : what are we paying for the first tooth these days?

dkhedmo
November 15th 06, 01:46 AM
Despite the fact that we don't "do" Santa and the tooth fairy, ds1,
having lost his first tooth at school today, is expecting "a present
from the Tooth Mommy" and is, as I write, putting his tooth under his
pillow.

I've got a few little things socked away towards xmas (a few books,
activity books, etc.), and dh thinks that since cash is traditional, we
ought to give that, or include it with one of the other things.

So, what's the going rate?

-Karen-

Sue
November 15th 06, 02:02 AM
"dkhedmo" > wrote in message

Our tooth fairy gave $5 for the first tooth and $2 for any teeth after that.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

ink.net...
> Despite the fact that we don't "do" Santa and the tooth fairy, ds1,
> having lost his first tooth at school today, is expecting "a present
> from the Tooth Mommy" and is, as I write, putting his tooth under his
> pillow.
>
> I've got a few little things socked away towards xmas (a few books,
> activity books, etc.), and dh thinks that since cash is traditional, we
> ought to give that, or include it with one of the other things.
>
> So, what's the going rate?
>
> -Karen-

November 15th 06, 02:28 AM
Its easy in Ontario, since we have "loonies" and "two-nies" in
circulation (affectionate Canadian names for the 1$ coin that has a
picture of a loon on it, and the $2 coin that came after it).

M.

-L.
November 15th 06, 03:00 AM
dkhedmo wrote:
> Despite the fact that we don't "do" Santa and the tooth fairy, ds1,
> having lost his first tooth at school today, is expecting "a present
> from the Tooth Mommy" and is, as I write, putting his tooth under his
> pillow.
>
> I've got a few little things socked away towards xmas (a few books,
> activity books, etc.), and dh thinks that since cash is traditional, we
> ought to give that, or include it with one of the other things.
>
> So, what's the going rate?
>
> -Karen-

Everybody knows the Tooth Fairy gives a quarter for tooths. Err...per
tooth.

-L.

-L.
November 15th 06, 03:01 AM
Sue wrote:
> "dkhedmo" > wrote in message
>
> Our tooth fairy gave $5 for the first tooth and $2 for any teeth after that.

Sheesh. Not unless it has a gold crown!
-L.

xkatx
November 15th 06, 03:58 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Its easy in Ontario, since we have "loonies" and "two-nies" in
> circulation (affectionate Canadian names for the 1$ coin that has a
> picture of a loon on it, and the $2 coin that came after it).
>
> M.

Yes! That's the good thing about both the loonie and twonie... They weigh
my pockets down too much, but I dunno if I could stomach a dollar (or two!)
for a tooth... I think I was lucky to get a quarter when I had lost a tooth!
;)

Caledonia
November 15th 06, 04:22 AM
dkhedmo wrote:
> Despite the fact that we don't "do" Santa and the tooth fairy, ds1,
> having lost his first tooth at school today, is expecting "a present
> from the Tooth Mommy" and is, as I write, putting his tooth under his
> pillow.
>
> I've got a few little things socked away towards xmas (a few books,
> activity books, etc.), and dh thinks that since cash is traditional, we
> ought to give that, or include it with one of the other things.
>
> So, what's the going rate?
>
> -Karen-

First tooth? The Sacagawea golden dollar. (Frankly, I'm the 1/1,000,000
Americans who just finds these coins incredibly cool. And they have
them at all the banks...)

Second and subsequent teeth get a shiny quarter.

Caledonia

Sue
November 15th 06, 11:10 AM
"-L." > wrote in message
> Sheesh. Not unless it has a gold crown!
> -L.

Whatever. Everyone does things different.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Rose Garten
November 15th 06, 01:33 PM
dkhedmo wrote:
> Despite the fact that we don't "do" Santa and the tooth fairy, ds1,
> having lost his first tooth at school today, is expecting "a present
> from the Tooth Mommy" and is, as I write, putting his tooth under his
> pillow.
>
> I've got a few little things socked away towards xmas (a few books,
> activity books, etc.), and dh thinks that since cash is traditional, we
> ought to give that, or include it with one of the other things.
>
> So, what's the going rate?
>
> -Karen-

DD got a banana split for the first one and a cone or slushy for each
one after that. We don't do the tooth fairy.

Clisby
November 15th 06, 04:05 PM
Sue wrote:
> "dkhedmo" > wrote in message
>
> Our tooth fairy gave $5 for the first tooth and $2 for any teeth after that.

$5 for the first, $1 for any after that.

Clisby

Welches
November 15th 06, 04:39 PM
"Clisby" > wrote in message
.net...

> Sue wrote:
>> "dkhedmo" > wrote in message
>>
>> Our tooth fairy gave $5 for the first tooth and $2 for any teeth after
>> that.
>
> $5 for the first, $1 for any after that.

Wow. I thought 20p woud be plenty. I think that's standard rate round here.
Certainly not more than 50p.
Debbie

Sue
November 15th 06, 05:30 PM
"Welches" wrote in message
> Wow. I thought 20p woud be plenty. I think that's standard rate round
>here. Certainly not more than 50p.

I don't know that that is in US currency, but my reasoning was that when
they were little and losing teeth, they had no other income at all. You
can't buy anything for a 25 cents or even 50 cents, so I gave them enough to
buy a little something for themselves. I certainly didn't want them to buy
bubblegum, which is all 25 cents will buy you. So it worked out fine for us.
Now, losing teeth are few and far between and they don't really believe in
the tooth fairy anymore.

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Nan
November 15th 06, 05:44 PM
On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 12:30:16 -0500, "Sue"
> wrote:

>"Welches" wrote in message
>> Wow. I thought 20p woud be plenty. I think that's standard rate round
>>here. Certainly not more than 50p.
>
>I don't know that that is in US currency, but my reasoning was that when
>they were little and losing teeth, they had no other income at all. You
>can't buy anything for a 25 cents or even 50 cents, so I gave them enough to
>buy a little something for themselves. I certainly didn't want them to buy
>bubblegum, which is all 25 cents will buy you. So it worked out fine for us.
>Now, losing teeth are few and far between and they don't really believe in
>the tooth fairy anymore.

I agree. A quarter can be put into those toy machines at the store
and they can get a really crappy toy worth nada. And I'd rather not
have to instill the "saving for something" issue with tooth fairy
money.... it's special ;-)

Nan

dkhedmo
November 15th 06, 06:14 PM
dkhedmo wrote:
> Despite the fact that we don't "do" Santa and the tooth fairy, ds1,
> having lost his first tooth at school today, is expecting "a present
> from the Tooth Mommy" and is, as I write, putting his tooth under his
> pillow.
>
> I've got a few little things socked away towards xmas (a few books,
> activity books, etc.), and dh thinks that since cash is traditional, we
> ought to give that, or include it with one of the other things.
>
> So, what's the going rate?
>
> -Karen-

So we gave him $1 and one of the books I had stashed away, an
inexpensive paperback easy reader. Henceforth, I'd be inclined to give a
quarter and a trinket, but dh seems to think $1 for each tooth because
"he's only got about 20 teeth" so I told dh it was coming out of his
lunch money.

Thanks for your responses, everyone.

Karen

JennP.
November 15th 06, 06:17 PM
"dkhedmo" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Despite the fact that we don't "do" Santa and the tooth fairy, ds1, having
> lost his first tooth at school today, is expecting "a present from the
> Tooth Mommy" and is, as I write, putting his tooth under his pillow.
>
> I've got a few little things socked away towards xmas (a few books,
> activity books, etc.), and dh thinks that since cash is traditional, we
> ought to give that, or include it with one of the other things.
>
> So, what's the going rate?

Ds got $1 and a little Lego Racer set worth about $2 for the first tooth.
The tooth fairy forgot the second one and felt reeeeeealy guilty so she
brought five dollars. I think it will be $1 for subsequent teeth. The kid
has been saving for a real basketball hoop so it's important to him.

JennP.

frank megaweege
November 15th 06, 06:35 PM
Caledonia wrote:
> dkhedmo wrote:
> > Despite the fact that we don't "do" Santa and the tooth fairy, ds1,
> > having lost his first tooth at school today, is expecting "a present
> > from the Tooth Mommy" and is, as I write, putting his tooth under his
> > pillow.
> >
> > I've got a few little things socked away towards xmas (a few books,
> > activity books, etc.), and dh thinks that since cash is traditional, we
> > ought to give that, or include it with one of the other things.
> >
> > So, what's the going rate?
> >
> > -Karen-
>
> First tooth? The Sacagawea golden dollar. (Frankly, I'm the 1/1,000,000
> Americans who just finds these coins incredibly cool. And they have
> them at all the banks...)

This is what the tooth fairy brings our kids. They think it's
something special to get these 'golden coins'.

> Second and subsequent teeth get a shiny quarter.
>
> Caledonia

Clisby
November 15th 06, 09:01 PM
Welches wrote:
> "Clisby" > wrote in message
> .net...
>

>>Sue wrote:
>>
>>>"dkhedmo" > wrote in message
>>>
>>>Our tooth fairy gave $5 for the first tooth and $2 for any teeth after
>>>that.
>>
>>$5 for the first, $1 for any after that.
>>

> Wow. I thought 20p woud be plenty. I think that's standard rate round here.
> Certainly not more than 50p.
> Debbie

Oh, I don't have any idea what the typical rate is. One 3rd-grader at
my daughter's school *said* she gets $20. I'm skeptical, but what do I
know? Maybe her tooth fairy money finances her yearly wardrobe.

Clisby

Clisby
November 15th 06, 09:03 PM
Sue wrote:

> "Welches" wrote in message
>
>>Wow. I thought 20p woud be plenty. I think that's standard rate round
>>here. Certainly not more than 50p.
>

> I don't know that that is in US currency, but my reasoning was that when
> they were little and losing teeth, they had no other income at all. You
> can't buy anything for a 25 cents or even 50 cents, so I gave them enough to
> buy a little something for themselves. I certainly didn't want them to buy
> bubblegum, which is all 25 cents will buy you. So it worked out fine for us.
> Now, losing teeth are few and far between and they don't really believe in
> the tooth fairy anymore.

Yeah, I can't even remember the last time my 10-year-old lost a tooth.
The 4-year-old hasn't started, but he's already asked me what the tooth
fairy does with all those teeth. I said maybe she built her house out
of them.

Clisby

Beth Kevles
November 15th 06, 11:46 PM
As I recall (and it's been a few years) the toothfairy at our house pays
more for clean teeth than dirty ones. It was a great incentive to focus
on toothbrushing for a while!

I think we did a toy for the first tooth and foreign loose change for
subsequent teeth.

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

Bodi
November 16th 06, 02:03 PM
On 15 Nov 2006 10:35:44 -0800, frank megaweege wrote:

> Caledonia wrote:
>> dkhedmo wrote:
>>> Despite the fact that we don't "do" Santa and the tooth fairy, ds1,
>>> having lost his first tooth at school today, is expecting "a present
>>> from the Tooth Mommy" and is, as I write, putting his tooth under his
>>> pillow.
>>>
>>> I've got a few little things socked away towards xmas (a few books,
>>> activity books, etc.), and dh thinks that since cash is traditional, we
>>> ought to give that, or include it with one of the other things.
>>>
>>> So, what's the going rate?
>>>
>>> -Karen-
>>
>> First tooth? The Sacagawea golden dollar. (Frankly, I'm the 1/1,000,000
>> Americans who just finds these coins incredibly cool. And they have
>> them at all the banks...)
>>

> This is what the tooth fairy brings our kids. They think it's
> something special to get these 'golden coins'.

DS gets the Sacagawea dollar for each lost tooth too.

Boliath
November 17th 06, 08:40 PM
dkhedmo wrote:
> Despite the fact that we don't "do" Santa and the tooth fairy, ds1,
> having lost his first tooth at school today, is expecting "a present
> from the Tooth Mommy" and is, as I write, putting his tooth under his
> pillow.
>
> I've got a few little things socked away towards xmas (a few books,
> activity books, etc.), and dh thinks that since cash is traditional, we
> ought to give that, or include it with one of the other things.
>
> So, what's the going rate?

$1 per tooth with a little note from the tooth fairy/Mommy.

Or their tooth back in a little keepsake box as well as the $1 or pound
or euro.