PDA

View Full Version : how to start night time toilet training?

November 16th 06, 12:58 PM
Hi, - my ds is just over 2.5 years old and has been completely
dry/clean in the day for the last 4 weeks with no accidents. For the
last 3 months or so she wakes us up wailing/screaming in the night -
sometimes twice a night. When we go to her she is either half asleep
and we dont do anything except quitely reassure - or she is fully awake
and says she wants a nappy change. On the rare occasions she has slept
throught the night her nappy is always wet through so we have not had
any dry nights yet - even when we change her nappy in the night she has
a wet one in the morning when we come to get her up. My question is
should we start night time toilet training or is she too young for
this? I couldn't imagine her getting up, navigating her way to the
bathroom, using the toilet andc then getting back into bed without us
helping her - so even if we did train her this would still mean
sleepless nights for us. The same goes for a potty - we would
definitely have to be there to help her use the potty in the night as
she would simply want us there.
Is the crying out in the night related to when she actually wees in her
nappy? Any advice would be very appreciated! thanks

toto
November 16th 06, 01:36 PM
On 16 Nov 2006 04:58:33 -0800, wrote:

>Is the crying out in the night related to when she actually wees in her
>nappy? Any advice would be very appreciated! thanks

I never *trained* my kids to do anything at night with regard to the
toilet. When their muscles matured, they stayed dry all night. You
can limit fluids after dinner and that might help. When the child is
dry most days, then they could wear underwear to bed instead of
pullups before that I just let them wear the pullups.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits

enigma
November 16th 06, 02:05 PM
wrote in
oups.com:

> Hi, - my ds is just over 2.5 years old and has been
> completely dry/clean in the day for the last 4 weeks with
> no accidents. For the last 3 months or so she wakes us up
> wailing/screaming in the night - sometimes twice a night.
> When we go to her she is either half asleep and we dont do
> anything except quitely reassure - or she is fully awake
> and says she wants a nappy change. On the rare occasions
> she has slept throught the night her nappy is always wet
> through so we have not had any dry nights yet - even when
> we change her nappy in the night she has a wet one in the
> morning when we come to get her up. My question is should
> we start night time toilet training or is she too young for
> this? I couldn't imagine her getting up, navigating her way
> to the bathroom, using the toilet andc then getting back
> into bed without us helping her - so even if we did train
> her this would still mean sleepless nights for us. The same
> goes for a potty - we would definitely have to be there to
> help her use the potty in the night as she would simply
> want us there. Is the crying out in the night related to
> when she actually wees in her nappy? Any advice would be
> very appreciated! thanks

you can't night toilet train a child. when they are able to
stay dry at night is physiological. until the brain starts
releasing certain hormones a child is physically unable to
stay dry at night. how long it takes to reach that maturation
stage varies considerably & has *nothing* to do with daytime
toilet training. the ages at which you, your spouse & assorted
siblings reached that stage may be indicators, but each child
is individual and it can happen anywhere between age 2 to
teenage years.
you can make it easier to stay dry at night by limiting fluid
intake before bed & by waking the kid and taking her to the
bathroom just before you go to bed. i never did this because
my kid, once awake, is awake. waking him up when i want to go
to sleep is damned stupid :) it's rumored that some kids can
go pee & not fully wake...
lee <toilet training is just parent training>
--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be

Sue
November 16th 06, 02:36 PM
I never trained my girls at night. I had them wear a pull-up at night until
one of two things happened, 1) they were dry in the mornings for a long time
and/or 2) they requested to not wear the pull-ups at night anymore. Why
stress out about it unless it is a problem for the child.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi, - my ds is just over 2.5 years old and has been completely
> dry/clean in the day for the last 4 weeks with no accidents. For the
> last 3 months or so she wakes us up wailing/screaming in the night -
> sometimes twice a night. When we go to her she is either half asleep
> and we dont do anything except quitely reassure - or she is fully awake
> and says she wants a nappy change. On the rare occasions she has slept
> throught the night her nappy is always wet through so we have not had
> any dry nights yet - even when we change her nappy in the night she has
> a wet one in the morning when we come to get her up. My question is
> should we start night time toilet training or is she too young for
> this? I couldn't imagine her getting up, navigating her way to the
> bathroom, using the toilet andc then getting back into bed without us
> helping her - so even if we did train her this would still mean
> sleepless nights for us. The same goes for a potty - we would
> definitely have to be there to help her use the potty in the night as
> she would simply want us there.
> Is the crying out in the night related to when she actually wees in her
> nappy? Any advice would be very appreciated! thanks

Zipadee
November 16th 06, 03:21 PM
As others have said, it happens when they're ready. My DD, who was
trained during the days shortly before she turned 3, just wasn't able
to stay dry at night until she was around 6. I tried the "take her
to the toilet before I went to bed" thing, but that didn't seem to help
any. So she just used Pull-ups and then Good-nites.

On the other hand, my DS was able to stay dry all night at the
same time that he was trained during the days, at age 3. As my kids
are 2 years apart, I actually had DD who is older using Good-nites
at night when her younger brother was done with diapers/Pull-ups.
DD didn't like that but I made her feel better about it by telling her
that probably she had a small bladder and her brother had a bigger one.

And once trained, neither of them ever got up during the night to go
to the bathroom but I know that some kids do.

-- Zip

November 16th 06, 10:00 PM
Hello

My name is Gloria, definitely this is very common I have 2 daughters
the first is 6 years y the second one is 2.1 years old I'm having the
same problem but with my experience together with the pediatrician. I
have a conclusion. Babies has an age when they are able to decide by
themselves when to go to the bathroom. Is very normal when they wake up
screaming with my first baby I used to take a little bear or little
doll and I used to say it was going to take care the whole night and if
she woke up she only had to hug it strongly. I don't know if your ds
is taking some drink at night because it's very important doesn't give
her drinks and if you give her you have to calculate two or three hours
and try to take to the bathroom. My advice don't try to force her that
is worth for them. Be pacient and goes to the bathroom with her and
firstable do it everything you have to do and let her to see she is
going to ask what are you doing.

Sorry I would like to write more but I'm leaving, tomorrow I'll write
again

By and good luck
ha escrito:

> Hi, - my ds is just over 2.5 years old and has been completely
> dry/clean in the day for the last 4 weeks with no accidents. For the
> last 3 months or so she wakes us up wailing/screaming in the night -
> sometimes twice a night. When we go to her she is either half asleep
> and we dont do anything except quitely reassure - or she is fully awake
> and says she wants a nappy change. On the rare occasions she has slept
> throught the night her nappy is always wet through so we have not had
> any dry nights yet - even when we change her nappy in the night she has
> a wet one in the morning when we come to get her up. My question is
> should we start night time toilet training or is she too young for
> this? I couldn't imagine her getting up, navigating her way to the
> bathroom, using the toilet andc then getting back into bed without us
> helping her - so even if we did train her this would still mean
> sleepless nights for us. The same goes for a potty - we would
> definitely have to be there to help her use the potty in the night as
> she would simply want us there.
> Is the crying out in the night related to when she actually wees in her
> nappy? Any advice would be very appreciated! thanks

Jeff
November 18th 06, 04:27 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi, - my ds is just over 2.5 years old and has been completely
> dry/clean in the day for the last 4 weeks with no accidents. For the
> last 3 months or so she wakes us up wailing/screaming in the night -
> sometimes twice a night. When we go to her she is either half asleep
> and we dont do anything except quitely reassure - or she is fully awake
> and says she wants a nappy change. On the rare occasions she has slept
> throught the night her nappy is always wet through so we have not had
> any dry nights yet - even when we change her nappy in the night she has
> a wet one in the morning when we come to get her up. My question is
> should we start night time toilet training or is she too young for
> this? I couldn't imagine her getting up, navigating her way to the
> bathroom, using the toilet andc then getting back into bed without us
> helping her - so even if we did train her this would still mean
> sleepless nights for us. The same goes for a potty - we would
> definitely have to be there to help her use the potty in the night as
> she would simply want us there.
> Is the crying out in the night related to when she actually wees in her
> nappy? Any advice would be very appreciated! thanks

Some kids don't stay dry until they are 12 or 13. Other are dry when they
are three. Unless you get them up every two to pee, you can't train them.

Jeff

Jen
November 19th 06, 06:10 AM
"Dave {Reply Address In.sig}" > wrote in message
> wrote:
>> Hi, - my ds is just over 2.5 years old and has been completely
>> dry/clean in the day for the last 4 weeks with no accidents.
>
> It happened so fast for us that we almost missed it. Kit finally decided
> to wear underpants during the day (aged 3yrs 3 months) and then three
> days later when I went to put a nappy on for the night he declared that
> he wanted underpants. Not wanting to jepoardise the daytime stuff I let
> him, expecting to have to change his absorbent pad the following
> morning. Much to my surprise he was dry and has been for all but a
> handful of nights since. When they're ready, they're ready - I think
> night training is more a case of appropriate hormones kicking in to
> reduce kidney function overnight, plus limiting fluid intake in the hour
> before bedtime.

Everyone is recommending no fluids before bedtime, but my training taught
the opposite. As strange as it may seem, research shows that it doesn't
make a lot of difference whether they drink normally before bedtime, or
withhold fluids. Not drinking fluids for such a long time, is never good.
And also never learning to hold on to a full bladder, is not such a good
idea. Just like making yourself go when you don't really need to go, if
done too often, can cause bladder problems, because the bladder never gets
the chance to be stretched out.

Like a few people have said, it will happen when the hormones kick in,
regardless. If they get close to the teen years, and it still happens, then
a check with the doctor is in order, to rule out bladder, and other
problems.

Jen

Jeff
November 19th 06, 02:28 PM
"Jen" > wrote in message

> "Dave {Reply Address In.sig}" > wrote in message
>> wrote:
>>> Hi, - my ds is just over 2.5 years old and has been completely
>>> dry/clean in the day for the last 4 weeks with no accidents.
>>
>> It happened so fast for us that we almost missed it. Kit finally decided
>> to wear underpants during the day (aged 3yrs 3 months) and then three
>> days later when I went to put a nappy on for the night he declared that
>> he wanted underpants. Not wanting to jepoardise the daytime stuff I let
>> him, expecting to have to change his absorbent pad the following
>> morning. Much to my surprise he was dry and has been for all but a
>> handful of nights since. When they're ready, they're ready - I think
>> night training is more a case of appropriate hormones kicking in to
>> reduce kidney function overnight, plus limiting fluid intake in the hour
>> before bedtime.
>>

> Everyone is recommending no fluids before bedtime, but my training taught
> the opposite. As strange as it may seem, research shows that it doesn't
> make a lot of difference whether they drink normally before bedtime, or
> withhold fluids. Not drinking fluids for such a long time, is never good.
> And also never learning to hold on to a full bladder, is not such a good
> idea. Just like making yourself go when you don't really need to go, if
> done too often, can cause bladder problems, because the bladder never gets
> the chance to be stretched out.
>
> Like a few people have said, it will happen when the hormones kick in,
> regardless. If they get close to the teen years, and it still happens,
> then a check with the doctor is in order, to rule out bladder, and other
> problems.

Actually, if they get to school-age years, then it is appropriate to have it
checked out by a doctor at a regular annual exam.

Jeff