PDA

View Full Version : Blair's Nanny State

Old Boy
November 23rd 06, 01:16 PM
A sociologist argues that a nanny state can't replace family and that
child-raising is not something that can be taught by so-called experts

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/index.php?menuID=1&subID=918

Government ministers assume that most parents are too stupid and in
some cases too slothful to know how to bring up their children.

Last week, the children's minister Beverley Hughes helpfully reminded
the nation's mums and dads that they ought to sing nursery rhymes to
their baby. Yesterday, Tony Blair told us he is to spend £4m creating
a network of experts and super-nannies to save children from their
parents.

Many commentators have criticised the arrogant assumptions that promote
the invasion of family life by these experts. But the question that
needs to be asked is: experts in what? Certainly not in parenting.

Mike Cawood, HND BIT
November 23rd 06, 04:27 PM
"Old Boy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
A sociologist argues that a nanny state can't replace family and that
child-raising is not something that can be taught by so-called experts

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/index.php?menuID=1&subID=918

Government ministers assume that most parents are too stupid and in
some cases too slothful to know how to bring up their children.

Last week, the children's minister Beverley Hughes helpfully reminded
the nation's mums and dads that they ought to sing nursery rhymes to
their baby. Yesterday, Tony Blair told us he is to spend £4m creating
a network of experts and super-nannies to save children from their
parents.

Many commentators have criticised the arrogant assumptions that promote
the invasion of family life by these experts. But the question that
needs to be asked is: experts in what? Certainly not in parenting.

Unfortunately my kids are grown up (physically anyway!) so I won't get the
chance to tell Bliar's nannies to **** off.
Regards Mike.

Edward John Smith
November 23rd 06, 06:54 PM
Government ministers assume that most parents are too stupid and in
some cases too slothful to know how to bring up their children.

Last week, the children's minister Beverley Hughes helpfully reminded
the nation's mums and dads that they ought to sing nursery rhymes to
their baby. Yesterday, Tony Blair told us he is to spend £4m creating
a network of experts and super-nannies to save children from their
parents.

Many commentators have criticised the arrogant assumptions that promote
the invasion of family life by these experts. But the question that
needs to be asked is: experts in what? Certainly not in parenting.

I seem to recall Blairs child being picked up from the pavement by the
Police blind drunk and unable to stand.

cramerj
November 23rd 06, 11:50 PM
Edward John Smith wrote:
> Government ministers assume that most parents are too stupid and in
> some cases too slothful to know how to bring up their children.
>
> Last week, the children's minister Beverley Hughes helpfully reminded
> the nation's mums and dads that they ought to sing nursery rhymes to
> their baby. Yesterday, Tony Blair told us he is to spend £4m creating
> a network of experts and super-nannies to save children from their
> parents.
>
> Many commentators have criticised the arrogant assumptions that promote
> the invasion of family life by these experts. But the question that
> needs to be asked is: experts in what? Certainly not in parenting.
>

> I seem to recall Blairs child being picked up from the pavement by the
> Police blind drunk and unable to stand.

The purpose of these regulations etc. is to provide de facto children
to all the childless social workers , teachers etc.
Hence the increasing demand to send young children to child care.
So you can breed the children but the do gooders will raise them
without having to go through childbirth.

Old Boy
November 24th 06, 01:53 PM
Very good comment...

cramerj wrote:
> Edward John Smith wrote:
> >
> > I seem to recall Blairs child being picked up from the pavement by the
> > Police blind drunk and unable to stand.

;o)

It could be argued that it is the middle classes who need the parenting
lessons

"The government may be sending out SWAT teams of nannies and parenting
teachers in a pincer movement on chaotic families, but are they are
pointed in the right direction?

While knife-toting tots are the scariest results of negligence, the
problem children we are more likely to encounter have doting,
upper-middle-class mummies and daddies."

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/index.php?menuID=1&subID=923

allan tracy
November 24th 06, 04:44 PM

> It could be argued that it is the middle classes who need the parenting
> lessons
>
> "The government may be sending out SWAT teams of nannies and parenting
> teachers in a pincer movement on chaotic families, but are they are
> pointed in the right direction?

You just know that no sooner than someone sets themselves up as an
expert on parenting their own family or kids will somehow go down the
tubes in someway.

It's called sod's law.

There's plenty of the great and good that have left fractured families
in their wake.

Frank F. Matthews
November 29th 06, 02:34 AM
Edward John Smith wrote:
> Government ministers assume that most parents are too stupid and in
> some cases too slothful to know how to bring up their children.
>
> Last week, the children's minister Beverley Hughes helpfully reminded
> the nation's mums and dads that they ought to sing nursery rhymes to
> their baby. Yesterday, Tony Blair told us he is to spend £4m creating
> a network of experts and super-nannies to save children from their
> parents.
>
> Many commentators have criticised the arrogant assumptions that promote
> the invasion of family life by these experts. But the question that
> needs to be asked is: experts in what? Certainly not in parenting.
>

> I seem to recall Blairs child being picked up from the pavement by the
> Police blind drunk and unable to stand.

That's why it is clear that the supper nannies are badly needed.