PDA

View Full Version : Did you know your newborn is talking to you?

toto
December 1st 06, 07:21 AM
http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200611/20061113/slide_20061113_350_101.jhtml

I saw this Priscilla Dunstan on the Today Show. This is really
amazing.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits

toypup
December 1st 06, 02:57 PM
"toto" > wrote in message
> http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200611/20061113/slide_20061113_350_101.jhtml
>
> I saw this Priscilla Dunstan on the Today Show. This is really
> amazing.

Interesting, but DS said, "uh, uh, uh" in a very desparate way when he was
hungery, not "neh." He did it from the time he was a newborn in the
hospital until he was able to talk. I remember him doing it in the hospital
and knowing what he wanted (he also rooted and showed other signs of
hunger), and thinking how interesting that he would always use the same
sound for hunger and that he must be talking to me. I would mimic him when
he was only a few days old to let him know I heard him and that food was
coming. That sound always meant he was hungry and nothing else. I watched
DD to hear what sound she made for hunger, but I never picked up on
anything. She mostly just rooted.

toto
December 1st 06, 08:07 PM
On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 14:57:34 GMT, "toypup" >
wrote:

>"toto" > wrote in message
>> http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200611/20061113/slide_20061113_350_101.jhtml
>>
>> I saw this Priscilla Dunstan on the Today Show. This is really
>> amazing.
>
>Interesting, but DS said, "uh, uh, uh" in a very desparate way when he was
>hungery, not "neh." He did it from the time he was a newborn in the
>hospital until he was able to talk. I remember him doing it in the hospital
>and knowing what he wanted (he also rooted and showed other signs of
>hunger), and thinking how interesting that he would always use the same
>sound for hunger and that he must be talking to me. I would mimic him when
>he was only a few days old to let him know I heard him and that food was
>coming. That sound always meant he was hungry and nothing else. I watched
>DD to hear what sound she made for hunger, but I never picked up on
>anything. She mostly just rooted.

Supposedly, this works across cultures because it is rooted in some
oral reflexes. No idea why your ds was different. On Oprah's show,
she apparently managed to get *all* nine babies quieted using her
insight into why they were crying.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits

toypup
December 2nd 06, 05:01 AM
"toto" > wrote in message
> Supposedly, this works across cultures because it is rooted in some
> oral reflexes. No idea why your ds was different. On Oprah's show,
> she apparently managed to get *all* nine babies quieted using her
> insight into why they were crying.

All I know is I knew his sound for hunger. I knew it so well I'd mimic him.
I remarked about it to friends and family because it was so amazing, so I
remember the sound very well and it definitely wasn't "neh."