PDA

View Full Version : Re: Bush administration to do away with lead air pollution limits

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend
December 8th 06, 09:31 PM
scguy wrote:
> December 6, 2006
> EPA May Drop Lead Air Pollution Limits
>
> WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Bush administration is considering doing away
> with health standards that cut lead from gasoline, widely regarded as
> one of the nation's biggest clean-air accomplishments.
>
> Battery makers, lead smelters, refiners all have lobbied the
> administration to do away with the Clean Air Act limits.
>
> A preliminary staff review released by the Environmental Protection
> Agency this week acknowledged the possibility of dropping the health
> standards for lead air pollution. The agency says revoking those
> standards might be justified ''given the significantly changed
> circumstances since lead was listed in 1976'' as an air pollutant.
>
> But Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., the incoming chairman of the House
> Committee on Government Reform, called on the agency to ''renounce
> this dangerous proposal immediately,'' because lead, a highly toxic
> element, can cause severe nerve damage, especially in children.
>
> ''This deregulatory effort cannot be defended,'' Waxman wrote EPA
> Administrator Stephen Johnson.
>
> Soon after lead was listed as an air pollutant 30 years ago, the
> Carter administration began removing lead from gasoline. Other big
> sources of lead in the atmosphere are from solid waste, coal, oil,
> iron and steel production, lead smelters and tobacco smoke.
>
> Exposure to lead can also come from food and soil. Lead is one of six
> air pollutants the EPA is required to review every five years to make
> sure the health limits are protective enough. The others are ozone,
> soot, sulfur dioxide, carbon monoxide and nitrous oxides.
>
> The EPA has repeatedly missed the deadlines set under the Clean Air
> Act, incurring the legal wrath of environmental groups.
>
> The health standards for air pollutants are intended to protect
> children, elderly and other ''sensitive'' populations, keep up
> visibility and limit damage to animals, crops, vegetation and
> buildings.
>
> Bill Wehrum, who heads the EPA's Office of Air and Radiation, said the
> agency is ''committed to continuing to significantly reduce lead
> emissions in this country. That's what we're trying to figure out.''
>
> John Walke, a former EPA lawyer who is now the clean air director for
> the Natural Resources Defense Council, disagrees.
>
> ''The Democrats just took over the Congress, and they're talking about
> something as dangerous and idiotic as eliminating the national health
> standard for air pollution?'' he said. ''It just doesn't add up.''
>
> <snip>

It all comes down to money. These lead polluters pay the EPA
bureaucrats or the congressmen enough $ and they can get whatever they
want. AMERICA = TOTAL CORRUPTION