PDA

View Full Version : Police: Mom takes dog, leaves kid in car at mall

nimue
December 17th 06, 10:13 PM
Thoughts or comments, anyone?

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=80512

Police: Mom takes dog, leaves kid in car at mall By Mike Sakal

Tribune December 12, 2006 Police have arrested a mother who took her dog
shopping inside a Scottsdale Fashion Square department store while leaving
her sleeping toddler in her car with a valet.

Gardenia Zakrzewski Johansson, 39, who told police she is a Montessori
schoolteacher, was arrested on suspicion of child neglect for leaving her
2-year-old son in the car to go buy a Christmas gift and pick up some
cosmetics in Neiman Marcus, according to a police report released Tuesday.

The woman arrived about 3 p.m. Monday and asked valet Quest Wolfe to watch
her 2002 BMW sedan, the report states.

Wolfe told police the woman mumbled something about a baby in the car, but
said he initially assumed she was talking about a dog.

Fellow valet Tyler Gocken however, asked Zakrzewski Johansson if she said
there was a baby in the car, and the woman responded: “Yes. Do you think it’
s wrong?” the report states.

Gocken replied, “Yeah, I think it’s wrong.”

Zakrzewski Johansson then stated she would be quick, and told the valets
“don’t tell anybody.”

That prompted Gocken to look inside the car, where he noticed through the
dark-tinted windows the toddler sleeping in the backseat.

Wolfe, 29, told the Tribune Tuesday he has parked thousands of cars during
his 4 1/2 years as a valet for the Epic Valet company, but the incident was
like nothing he had ever seen.

Gocken, 24, told police he called his mother to ask her if she thought
leaving the child inside the car was wrong. She told him that it was. She
also told him to call security or police, which he did.

When police arrived at the parking garage, Gocken identified Zakrzewski
Johansson as she exited the store with her dog and a shopping bag, according
to the report.

The shopping trip took a half-hour, according to time estimates in the
report.

As Zakrzewski Johansson was questioned by police, she asked an officer “if
she was in trouble.”

The officer replied, “Yes.”

Zakrzewski Johansson could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

The woman told police she asked a valet to “Please watch my son in the car”
and that the valet had agreed.

Zakrzewski Johansson could not identify the valet except that he had “brown
hair.” She said she planned to tip him for the service.

She told police she was going to pick up a Christmas gift, but it wasn’t
gift-wrapped or ready to take home, which is why the trip took so long.

She later said she stopped by the cosmetics section to pick up eye makeup
remover and ran into a friend and engaged in a brief conversation.

After she was arrested and handcuffed, she became uncooperative and at one
point asked the officer to retrieve a Christmas present that was being
gift-wrapped in the store, according to police.

The boy and the dog were turned over to Zakrzewski Johansson’s sister, who
was contacted by police.

Zakrzewski Johansson was booked into the city jail, according to police.

Management at Neiman Marcus and mall owner Westcor declined to comment.
Contact Mike Sakal by email, or phone (480) 970-2324
--
nimue

"As an unwavering Republican, I have quite naturally burned more books than
I have read."
Betty Bowers

JennP.
December 18th 06, 01:09 AM
"nimue" > wrote in message
> Thoughts or comments, anyone?
>
> http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=80512

What's there to comment on? It's pretty self-explanatory. She's a
self-absorbed moron.

JennP.

askmeltr
December 18th 06, 01:19 AM
nimue wrote:
> [...]
> gift-wrapped or ready to take home, which is why the trip took so long.
>
> She later said she stopped by the cosmetics section to pick up eye makeup
> remover and ran into a friend and engaged in a brief conversation.
>
> After she was arrested and handcuffed, she became uncooperative and at one
> point asked the officer to retrieve a Christmas present that was being
> gift-wrapped in the store, according to police.
>
> The boy and the dog were turned over to Zakrzewski Johansson's sister, who
> was contacted by police.
>
> Zakrzewski Johansson was booked into the city jail, according to police.
>
> Management at Neiman Marcus and mall owner Westcor declined to comment.
> Contact Mike Sakal by email, or phone (480) 970-2324
> --
> nimue
>
> "As an unwavering Republican, I have quite naturally burned more books than

I would like to know what Montessori school pays BMW salaries.

nimue
December 18th 06, 01:26 AM
JennP. wrote:
> "nimue" > wrote in message
>> Thoughts or comments, anyone?
>>
>> http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=80512
>
> What's there to comment on? It's pretty self-explanatory. She's a
> self-absorbed moron.

So you agree with her being arrested? Do you think she should lose custody
of the kid? Have court-mandated parenting classes? What?

--

askmeltr wrote:
> [...]
>> conversation.
>>
>> After she was arrested and handcuffed, she became uncooperative and
>> at one point asked the officer to retrieve a Christmas present that
>> was being gift-wrapped in the store, according to police.
>>
>> The boy and the dog were turned over to Zakrzewski Johansson's
>> sister, who was contacted by police.
>>
>> Zakrzewski Johansson was booked into the city jail, according to
>> police.
>>
>> Management at Neiman Marcus and mall owner Westcor declined to
>> comment. Contact Mike Sakal by email, or phone (480) 970-2324
>> --
>> nimue
>>
>> "As an unwavering Republican, I have quite naturally burned more
>> books than I have read."
>> Betty Bowers
>

> I would like to know what Montessori school pays BMW salaries.

Probably her husband's money. I wonder what he thinks of this.

--
nimue

"As an unwavering Republican, I have quite naturally burned more books
than I have read." Betty Bowers

deja.blues
December 18th 06, 02:28 AM
"nimue" > wrote in message
> Thoughts or comments, anyone?

Didn't you mean to post this on ascf?

bizby40
December 18th 06, 02:44 AM
"nimue" > wrote in message
> JennP. wrote:
>> "nimue" > wrote in message
>>> Thoughts or comments, anyone?
>>>
>>> http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=80512
>>
>> What's there to comment on? It's pretty self-explanatory. She's a
>> self-absorbed moron.
>
> So you agree with her being arrested? Do you think she should lose
> custody
> of the kid? Have court-mandated parenting classes? What?

Here is what I think:

1. I can understand the temptation not to wake a sleeping baby to run
in to a store "for 5 minutes."

2. I don't think the fact that she took her dog means anything
(certainly not that she cares more about it as is the implication).

3. I don't think the child was ever in any real danger.

4. This is pretty tame as these stories go.

I do think she was bone-headed. You just don't go handing off
responsibility for your child to random strangers. And if getting the
gift took longer than she expected, you'd think she'd be panicked
trying to get back to her car, not stopping to chat with a friend.

I would imagine that whether or not she'll be convicted of child
abandonment depends on whether or not they can prove that she left the
child without supervision. If she convinces them that she thought the
valets had agreed to watch her child, then she might get out of it.

I would hope that social services would keep an eye on her no matter
what, because regardless of whether or not they convict her, she
showed really bad judgment in regards to her child's safety. I also
wonder if this will cost her job. As a parent, I wouldn't feel safe
leaving my own child in the care of someone so irresponsible.

Bizby

nimue
December 18th 06, 02:58 AM
deja.blues wrote:
> "nimue" > wrote in message
>> Thoughts or comments, anyone?
>
> Didn't you mean to post this on ascf?\

Certainly not. I do not post there. They are a bunch of psychopaths, most
of them. A while ago I posted here about a friend of mine who left her baby
in the car while she ran into the house she was selling. She was in there
about 15 minutes or 20 minutes or so, I guess. She couldn't see the car; it
was parked out front. A lot of people here had no problem with that. I had
a big problem with that. I was wondering what people would think of this.

--
nimue

"As an unwavering Republican, I have quite naturally burned more books
than I have read." Betty Bowers

nimue
December 18th 06, 03:02 AM
bizby40 wrote:
> "nimue" > wrote in message
>> JennP. wrote:

>>> What's there to comment on? It's pretty self-explanatory. She's a
>>> self-absorbed moron.
>>
>> So you agree with her being arrested? Do you think she should lose
>> custody
>> of the kid? Have court-mandated parenting classes? What?
>
> Here is what I think:
>
> 1. I can understand the temptation not to wake a sleeping baby to run
> in to a store "for 5 minutes."

Apparently, she had a history of this.
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.phpsty=80685&source=rss&dest=ST-80685

> 2. I don't think the fact that she took her dog means anything
> (certainly not that she cares more about it as is the implication).
>
> 3. I don't think the child was ever in any real danger.

Really? I wouldn't want to be a helpless two year old left in the care of a
total stranger. I wouldn't leave a helpless two year old in the care of a
total stranger, nor would I leave one alone in a car.

> 4. This is pretty tame as these stories go.

What stories? Leaving kids alone in cars stories?

> I do think she was bone-headed. You just don't go handing off
> responsibility for your child to random strangers. And if getting the
> gift took longer than she expected, you'd think she'd be panicked
> trying to get back to her car, not stopping to chat with a friend.

She wasn't. As I said (and just found out), she has a history of doing
this.

> I would imagine that whether or not she'll be convicted of child
> abandonment depends on whether or not they can prove that she left the
> child without supervision. If she convinces them that she thought the
> valets had agreed to watch her child, then she might get out of it.

I hope she doesn't. She should never have had children, imo.

> I would hope that social services would keep an eye on her no matter
> what,

I agree with you there! Boy, do I ever!

>because regardless of whether or not they convict her, she
> showed really bad judgment in regards to her child's safety.

Very true.

>I also
> wonder if this will cost her job.

It should.

>As a parent, I wouldn't feel safe
> leaving my own child in the care of someone so irresponsible.

I wouldn't either.

--
nimue

"As an unwavering Republican, I have quite naturally burned more books
than I have read." Betty Bowers

Caledonia
December 18th 06, 03:14 AM
nimue wrote:
> deja.blues wrote:
> > "nimue" > wrote in message
> >> Thoughts or comments, anyone?
> >
> > Didn't you mean to post this on ascf?\
>
> Certainly not. I do not post there. They are a bunch of psychopaths, most
> of them. A while ago I posted here about a friend of mine who left her baby
> in the car while she ran into the house she was selling. She was in there
> about 15 minutes or 20 minutes or so, I guess. She couldn't see the car; it
> was parked out front. A lot of people here had no problem with that. I had
> a big problem with that. I was wondering what people would think of this.

Errr. was this thread called "toddler in car" by any chance?

Caledonia

bizby40
December 18th 06, 03:27 AM
"nimue" > wrote in message
> bizby40 wrote:
>> 3. I don't think the child was ever in any real danger.
>
> Really? I wouldn't want to be a helpless two year old left in the
> care of a
> total stranger. I wouldn't leave a helpless two year old in the
> care of a
> total stranger, nor would I leave one alone in a car.

I wouldn't either, but it doesn't mean the child was in real danger.
For one thing, there were 2 men there. If you asked one random man,
he might be a child snatcher, but with 2 men together, one of them
doing anything to the child would be pretty near impossible. Plus,
these were guys on the job, so they were easily identifiable. I think
we covered before that as long as the car isn't in the sun, a sleeping
child strapped into a child safety seat in a car really isn't in much
danger in a short time.

>> 4. This is pretty tame as these stories go.
>
> What stories? Leaving kids alone in cars stories?

Every now and again, someone posts a story here of horrendous
parenting where a child ends up dead through murder, abuse, or
neglect. Often the subject lines contain racial or class insults.
And in all cases the point seems to be something like, "there goes
another ignorant breeder".

Bizby

nimue
December 18th 06, 03:28 AM
Caledonia wrote:
> nimue wrote:
>> deja.blues wrote:
>>>
>>> Didn't you mean to post this on ascf?\
>>
>> Certainly not. I do not post there. They are a bunch of
>> psychopaths, most of them. A while ago I posted here about a friend
>> of mine who left her baby in the car while she ran into the house
>> she was selling. She was in there about 15 minutes or 20 minutes or
>> so, I guess. She couldn't see the car; it was parked out front. A
>> lot of people here had no problem with that. I had a big problem
>> with that. I was wondering what people would think of this.
>>
> Errr. was this thread called "toddler in car" by any chance?

I can't remember. Just google nimue and friend and car on this ng and
you'll probably find it. It was a while ago.

--
nimue

"As an unwavering Republican, I have quite naturally burned more books
than I have read." Betty Bowers

Jen
December 18th 06, 05:59 AM
"deja.blues" > wrote in message

> "nimue" > wrote in message
>> Thoughts or comments, anyone?
>
> Didn't you mean to post this on ascf?

Why? What's ascf?

Jen

toto
December 18th 06, 03:23 PM
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 05:59:14 GMT, "Jen" >
wrote:

>"deja.blues" > wrote in message
>>
>> "nimue" > wrote in message
>>> Thoughts or comments, anyone?
>>
>> Didn't you mean to post this on ascf?
>>

>Why? What's ascf?

alt.support.childfree

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits

Jen
December 19th 06, 12:18 AM
"nimue" > wrote in message
> Thoughts or comments, anyone?
>

> The boy and the dog were turned over to Zakrzewski Johansson's sister, who
> was contacted by police.

I think she certainly needs some sort of charge or psychiatric help, she
doesn't sound "quite right"

But I wonder how she got into a shopping centre with a dog. Are dogs
allowed in some shopping centres in the US?

Jen

JennP.
December 19th 06, 03:23 AM
"Jen" > wrote in message

> But I wonder how she got into a shopping centre with a dog. Are dogs
> allowed in some shopping centres in the US?

Not that I know of, but it was probably some little pocket dog that you can
carry in a bag.

JennP.

JennP.
December 19th 06, 04:49 AM
"nimue" > wrote in message

> So you agree with her being arrested?

Yes. It was negligent. That valet had no obligation to watch her kid and he
did the right thing by calling the police, IMO. Eyeliner can wait.

Do you think she should lose custody
> of the kid?

No.

Have court-mandated parenting classes? What?

Social services should be keeping a very, very close eye on her and while
parenting classes would be a good idea, something doesn't sound quite right
with this woman to make that decision in the first place, so who knows if
classes would help. I can't ever imagine leaving my kid in the car with a
perfect stranger. It boggles my mind that someone would feel that is ok.

JennP.

Nan
December 19th 06, 01:14 PM
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 23:49:34 -0500, "JennP."
> wrote:

>"nimue" > wrote in message
>
>> So you agree with her being arrested?
>
>Yes. It was negligent. That valet had no obligation to watch her kid and he
>did the right thing by calling the police, IMO. Eyeliner can wait.
>
> Do you think she should lose custody
>> of the kid?
>
>No.
>
>Have court-mandated parenting classes? What?
>
>Social services should be keeping a very, very close eye on her and while
>parenting classes would be a good idea, something doesn't sound quite right
>with this woman to make that decision in the first place, so who knows if
>classes would help. I can't ever imagine leaving my kid in the car with a
>perfect stranger. It boggles my mind that someone would feel that is ok.

I agree she doesn't sound right. She asked the valet if he thought it
was wrong??! Then asked the police officer if she was in trouble.

Nan