PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Training from a different point of view

toto
December 19th 06, 02:49 AM
Sleep Training...from the other point of view

OK, here's my situation. My Mommy has had me for almost
7 months. The first few months were great-- I cried, she
picked me up and fed me, anytime, day or night. Then
something happened. Over the last few weeks, she has
been trying to STTN (sleep thru the night).

At first, I thought it was just a phase, but it is only getting
worse. I've talked to other babies, and it seems like it's
pretty common after Mommies have had us for around
6 months.

Here's the thing: these Mommies don't really need to
sleep. It's just a habit. Many of them have had some
30 years to sleep--they just don't need it anymore. So
I am implementing a plan. I call it the Crybaby Shuffle.

It goes like this:

Night 1--cry every 3 hours until you get fed. I know, it's
hard. It's hard to see your Mommy upset over your crying.
Just keep reminding yourself, it's for her own good.

Night 2--cry every 2 hours until you get fed.

Night 3--every hour.

Most Mommies will start to respond more quickly after
about 3 nights. Some Mommies are more alert, and may
resist the change longer. These Mommies may stand in
your doorway for hours, shhhh-ing. Don't give in. I cannot
stress this enough: CONSISTENCY IS KEY!!

If you let her STTN (sleep through the night), just once,
she will expect it every night. I KNOW IT'S HARD!
But she really does not need the sleep, she is just
resisting the change.

If you have an especially alert Mommy, you can stop
crying for about 10 minutes, just long enough for her
to go back to bed and start to fall asleep. Then cry again.
It WILL eventually work. My Mommy once stayed awake
for 10 hours straight, so I know she can do it.

Last night, I cried every hour. You just have to decide to
stick to it and just go for it. BE CONSISTENT! I cried for
any reason I could come up with. My sleep sack tickled
my foot. I felt a wrinkle under the sheet. My mobile made
a shadow on the wall. I burped, and it tasted like pears.
I hadn't eaten pears since lunch, what's up with that?
The cat said "meow". I should know. My Mommy reminds
me of this about 20 times a day. LOL. Once I cried just
because I liked how it sounded when it echoed on the
monitor in the other room. Too hot, too cold, just right--
doesn't matter! Keep crying!!

It took awhile, but it worked. She fed me at 4am.
Tomorrow night, my goal is 3:30am. You need to slowly
shorten the interval between feedings in order to reset
your Mommies' internal clocks.

P.S. Don't let those rubber things fool you, no matter
how long you suck on them, no milk will come out.
Trust me.
--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits

nanner
December 19th 06, 05:57 AM
<snip funniness>

LOL

now - can you let me know what's going on in the minds of my 3 & 5 year olds
that seem to have a plot against letting me STTN? (please?)

April & Stewart
December 19th 06, 12:44 PM
thats sooo funny

"toto" > wrote in message
> Sleep Training...from the other point of view
>
> OK, here's my situation. My Mommy has had me for almost
> 7 months. The first few months were great-- I cried, she
> picked me up and fed me, anytime, day or night. Then
> something happened. Over the last few weeks, she has
> been trying to STTN (sleep thru the night).
>
> At first, I thought it was just a phase, but it is only getting
> worse. I've talked to other babies, and it seems like it's
> pretty common after Mommies have had us for around
> 6 months.
>
> Here's the thing: these Mommies don't really need to
> sleep. It's just a habit. Many of them have had some
> 30 years to sleep--they just don't need it anymore. So
> I am implementing a plan. I call it the Crybaby Shuffle.
>
> It goes like this:
>
> Night 1--cry every 3 hours until you get fed. I know, it's
> hard. It's hard to see your Mommy upset over your crying.
> Just keep reminding yourself, it's for her own good.
>
> Night 2--cry every 2 hours until you get fed.
>
> Night 3--every hour.
>
> Most Mommies will start to respond more quickly after
> about 3 nights. Some Mommies are more alert, and may
> resist the change longer. These Mommies may stand in
> your doorway for hours, shhhh-ing. Don't give in. I cannot
> stress this enough: CONSISTENCY IS KEY!!
>
> If you let her STTN (sleep through the night), just once,
> she will expect it every night. I KNOW IT'S HARD!
> But she really does not need the sleep, she is just
> resisting the change.
>
> If you have an especially alert Mommy, you can stop
> crying for about 10 minutes, just long enough for her
> to go back to bed and start to fall asleep. Then cry again.
> It WILL eventually work. My Mommy once stayed awake
> for 10 hours straight, so I know she can do it.
>
> Last night, I cried every hour. You just have to decide to
> stick to it and just go for it. BE CONSISTENT! I cried for
> any reason I could come up with. My sleep sack tickled
> my foot. I felt a wrinkle under the sheet. My mobile made
> a shadow on the wall. I burped, and it tasted like pears.
> I hadn't eaten pears since lunch, what's up with that?
> The cat said "meow". I should know. My Mommy reminds
> me of this about 20 times a day. LOL. Once I cried just
> because I liked how it sounded when it echoed on the
> monitor in the other room. Too hot, too cold, just right--
> doesn't matter! Keep crying!!
>
> It took awhile, but it worked. She fed me at 4am.
> Tomorrow night, my goal is 3:30am. You need to slowly
> shorten the interval between feedings in order to reset
> your Mommies' internal clocks.
>
> P.S. Don't let those rubber things fool you, no matter
> how long you suck on them, no milk will come out.
> Trust me.
> --
> Dorothy
>
> There is no sound, no cry in all the world
> that can be heard unless someone listens ..
>
> The Outer Limits

Mermaid
December 19th 06, 02:53 PM
My 6 year old was this way when she was about 6 months. This is
hilarious. I'd have sworn at the time it was a plot.

Thankfully our little guy isn't that way!

Anni

Stara Baba
December 22nd 06, 07:46 PM
In article >,
toto > wrote:

> Sleep Training...from the other point of view
>
> OK, here's my situation. My Mommy has had me for almost
> 7 months. The first few months were great-- I cried, she
> picked me up and fed me, anytime, day or night. Then
> something happened. Over the last few weeks, she has
> been trying to STTN (sleep thru the night).
(snip)

> P.S. Don't let those rubber things fool you, no matter
> how long you suck on them, no milk will come out.
> Trust me.
> --
> Dorothy

THAT is the funniest thing I've read in the long time, Dorothy!
Thank you!
--
-Barb
http://jamlady.eboard.com

toto
December 23rd 06, 03:24 AM
On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 13:46:46 -0600, Stara Baba
> wrote:

>In article >,
> toto > wrote:
>
>> Sleep Training...from the other point of view
>>
>> OK, here's my situation. My Mommy has had me for almost
>> 7 months. The first few months were great-- I cried, she
>> picked me up and fed me, anytime, day or night. Then
>> something happened. Over the last few weeks, she has
>> been trying to STTN (sleep thru the night).
>(snip)
>>
>> P.S. Don't let those rubber things fool you, no matter
>> how long you suck on them, no milk will come out.
>> Trust me.
>> --
>> Dorothy
>
>THAT is the funniest thing I've read in the long time, Dorothy!
>Thank you!

Glad you enjoyed it. It's from one of my favorite bulletin boards.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits