PDA

View Full Version : Junk Food Advertising

Old Boy
December 20th 06, 03:52 PM
Humourous opinion article on the banning of junk food ads during
children's TV programming.

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/index.php?menuID=3&subID=1291

As we already know, the government vehemently disapproves of our
children's dietary habits. They find all those packets of Frazzles and
squeezy cheese sandwiches simply too ghastly and are doing everything
within their power to make kids eat more organic gnocchi instead.

Their newest measure is to ban junk food ads during children's TV
programming. Which is quite a spectacular affront to the junk food
industry when you consider which products are allowed in the commercial
break.

Take alcohol. We're the biggest binge drinkers in Europe, yet our
screens are awash with ads for continental lagers and garishly hued
alcopops.

Dave Fawthrop
December 20th 06, 04:16 PM
On 20 Dec 2006 07:52:00 -0800, "Old Boy" > wrote:

|Humourous opinion article on the banning of junk food ads during
|children's TV programming.
|
|http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/index.php?menuID=3&subID=1291
|
|As we already know, the government vehemently disapproves of our
|children's dietary habits. They find all those packets of Frazzles and
|squeezy cheese sandwiches simply too ghastly and are doing everything
|within their power to make kids eat more organic gnocchi instead.
|
|Their newest measure is to ban junk food ads during children's TV
|programming. Which is quite a spectacular affront to the junk food
|industry when you consider which products are allowed in the commercial
|break.
|
|Take alcohol. We're the biggest binge drinkers in Europe, yet our
|screens are awash with ads for continental lagers and garishly hued
|alcopops.

With any sort of luck eating Junk Food and Drunkenness will go the same way
as Smoking. They will become Socially Unacceptable. It may take 20-30
years.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Google Groups is IME the *worst*

Welches
December 20th 06, 04:24 PM
<cross posting snipped>
"Old Boy" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Humourous opinion article on the banning of junk food ads during
> children's TV programming.
>
> http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/index.php?menuID=3&subID=1291
>
> As we already know, the government vehemently disapproves of our
> children's dietary habits. They find all those packets of Frazzles and
> squeezy cheese sandwiches simply too ghastly and are doing everything
> within their power to make kids eat more organic gnocchi instead.
>
> Their newest measure is to ban junk food ads during children's TV
> programming. Which is quite a spectacular affront to the junk food
> industry when you consider which products are allowed in the commercial
> break.
>
> Take alcohol. We're the biggest binge drinkers in Europe, yet our
> screens are awash with ads for continental lagers and garishly hued
> alcopops.

Frazzles. Yes. I've got a craving for them. Advertising wouldn't change it.
I like them without advertising. All that salt makes me feel better.
But better are the salt and vinegar square crisps. Those plus a can (or two)
of coke seems to be a (brief) cure for morning sickness. Highly recommended.
Debbie
Ps. Refresher sweets aren't bad either if I can't find the crisps quickly
enough.