PDA

View Full Version : Baby boy with UTI (PROPHYLACTIC anti biotics before VCUG and DMSA?)

December 20th 06, 11:38 PM
My son is 5.5 months now. He had his first UTI when he was 4 months old
with mild symptons. He was treated and went for an Ultrasound check. It
shows fine. Recently I went to the hospital and checked his urine again
just to see if everything is alright now. The report shows he has UTI
AGAIN! He has no symptons. However he is being treated again. Now the
pediatrician wants him to have a VCUG (to check if it's a 'reflux') in
3 weeks and a DMSA (kidney function and if it has been scared) in 6
months. Here are questions.

1. He is un-circumcised, should we remove his foreskin before VCUG ?
how long does it take to heal?
2. Is it necessary to take prophylactic anti biotics until they rule
out the internal problems?
3. What's the side effect of prophylactic? If he becomes resistant to
one kind of prophylactic, will he be resistant to any other ones?
4. Should we sedate him for VCUG?

We are SOOO worried about him and I hope someone here can offer some
help, so that we can make a better solution for him. Thanks!

Lora R
December 21st 06, 02:24 PM
wrote:

> My son is 5.5 months now. He had his first UTI when he was 4 months old
> with mild symptons. He was treated and went for an Ultrasound check. It
> shows fine. Recently I went to the hospital and checked his urine again
> just to see if everything is alright now. The report shows he has UTI
> AGAIN! He has no symptons. However he is being treated again. Now the
> pediatrician wants him to have a VCUG (to check if it's a 'reflux') in
> 3 weeks and a DMSA (kidney function and if it has been scared) in 6
> months. Here are questions.
>
> 1. He is un-circumcised, should we remove his foreskin before VCUG ?
> how long does it take to heal?
> 2. Is it necessary to take prophylactic anti biotics until they rule
> out the internal problems?
> 3. What's the side effect of prophylactic? If he becomes resistant to
> one kind of prophylactic, will he be resistant to any other ones?
> 4. Should we sedate him for VCUG?
>
> We are SOOO worried about him and I hope someone here can offer some
> help, so that we can make a better solution for him. Thanks!

Hello,

My son had a few UTIs under the age of 2 years old. He is
uncircumcised as well. We did not circumcise him for the VCUG test.
There was no problem with that. He was about 18 months old at the
time, and we had him sedated with Versed. It worked really well, just
made him really loopy and drowsy and he laid like a slug through the
procedure. I highly recommend the versed, there is no way he would
have laid still and calm without it. My son didn't have a kidney
function test, but he did have a kidney ultrasound where they checked
for scar tissue.

We never found out the cause of his UTIs, but we did not have to ever
circumcise him. At one point we were prescribed some steroid cream
and used that on his foreskin to cause it to retract early. After we
got it fully retracted, he hasn't had a UTI since. Don't know if
that's a cause-effect situation or not. He was on prophylactic
antibiotics for several months while we were trying to figure it all
out, but we didn't continue that and haven't had a problem.

Good luck,
Lora
I do not check this email, please post here if you want to ask me any
further questions.

December 21st 06, 03:53 PM
Thank you so much Lora. I really appreciate it. I am still deciding if
I should give him the prophylactic antibiotics or not. But we will
definately circumcise him.

"Lora R дµÀ£º
"