PDA

View Full Version : Help, toddler with night terror-like symptoms but not exactly

December 30th 06, 09:07 AM
Hi all,

This is only the 2nd night it's happened but it's scary as ever. I
have read a fair bit about "Night Terrors" and this doesn't seem to fit
exactly. Our toddler turns 26 months old on the 1st of the year.

He wakes up at about 2:30am, starts saying "no, no". Seems like a
dream but we calls for my wife "Mama, hold me, mama hold me, etc".
This is screaming out and trembling. We pick him up and then he's
asking to leave his room, still trembling and screaming. His eyes are
open. I took him from my wife and he started screaming more saying
"no, Mama hold me, Mama hold me". So he obviously knows who is holding
him. Then he wanted to go downstairs and get some yogurt (of al
things). We offered him water from his sippy cup but he just screamed
and said no. The scary thing is, we never heard him scream this way,
trembling and sobbing about everything we ask him or he asks for.
Finally got him some yogurt and he starting screaming saying he doesn't
want it. It was wierd, it was like he was scared of the yogurt cup.

It was aweful, it was like he was having a mental breakdown of sorts.

Last night I suggested we watch his favorite movie (Cars) and he said
"ok" and watched the whole thing and then said he wants to go back to
bed.

Today, we didn't offer him a movie but he fell asleep on my wife's
shoulder on the rocking chair after eventually eating a yogurt that he
asked for.

He definitely knows what's going on in his environment. We're at my
parents house for the Christmas week and he knows where he is and what
rooms he's in etc. ie. living, family, kitchen etc. Even though his
eyes are not always open during his screaming fits.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I don't know if this is related by his tummy was making a lot of noise
and he seemed to have alot of gas.

We will probably call his doctor tomorrow but won't be home till Monday
of next week... hope this is not a nightly affair. It's really scary
to see it, not only b/c of the whole visual effect but also because we
have no clue as to what's going on.

Thanks!

Kevin

joni
December 30th 06, 10:33 PM
On Dec 30, 1:07 am, wrote:
> He wakes up at about 2:30am, starts saying "no, no". Seems like a
> dream but we calls for my wife "Mama, hold me, mama hold me, etc".
> This is screaming out and trembling. We pick him up and then he's
> asking to leave his room, still trembling and screaming. His eyes are
> open.

Guess you never saw 'Monsters Inc" eh? ;-)

> hope this is not a nightly affair.

Do not coddle him with too much attention, feed him, or entertain him,
or it *will* become a nightly ritual.
Children have to learn to comfort themselves back to sleep. Your prime
objective should be to keep him in his bed, quiet him there by not
picking him up etc etc, or giving into toddler demands, reinterating
that all is well (shhh shhh) and to go back to sleep just like mommy
and daddy are quietly going to do. Your reaction to his behavior is
important. If you are freaking out, so will he. Remain calm while being
quiet and consistant. Nitelights are good, every light on in the house
isnt. Check his safety, wet issues, or whatever, quick hugs, cuddle
with best stuffed toy friend, fluff pillow/tuck back in, and then leave
him to go back to sleep on his own. Repeat only if necessary, as this
too can turn you into a yoyo at his beck n' call. If it really seems
unsettling, then stay in his room (sit close and read for example or
pretend to sleep too) and let him know you will stay there till he
falls asleep.

joanne

Jen
December 31st 06, 09:02 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> This is only the 2nd night it's happened but it's scary as ever. I
> have read a fair bit about "Night Terrors" and this doesn't seem to fit
> exactly. Our toddler turns 26 months old on the 1st of the year.
>
> He wakes up at about 2:30am, starts saying "no, no". Seems like a
> dream but we calls for my wife "Mama, hold me, mama hold me, etc".
> This is screaming out and trembling. We pick him up and then he's
> asking to leave his room, still trembling and screaming. His eyes are
> open. I took him from my wife and he started screaming more saying
> "no, Mama hold me, Mama hold me". So he obviously knows who is holding
> him. Then he wanted to go downstairs and get some yogurt (of al
> things). We offered him water from his sippy cup but he just screamed
> and said no. The scary thing is, we never heard him scream this way,
> trembling and sobbing about everything we ask him or he asks for.
> Finally got him some yogurt and he starting screaming saying he doesn't
> want it. It was wierd, it was like he was scared of the yogurt cup.
>
> It was aweful, it was like he was having a mental breakdown of sorts.
>
> Last night I suggested we watch his favorite movie (Cars) and he said
> "ok" and watched the whole thing and then said he wants to go back to
> bed.
>
> Today, we didn't offer him a movie but he fell asleep on my wife's
> shoulder on the rocking chair after eventually eating a yogurt that he
> asked for.
>
> He definitely knows what's going on in his environment. We're at my
> parents house for the Christmas week and he knows where he is and what
> rooms he's in etc. ie. living, family, kitchen etc. Even though his
> eyes are not always open during his screaming fits.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> I don't know if this is related by his tummy was making a lot of noise
> and he seemed to have alot of gas.
>
> We will probably call his doctor tomorrow but won't be home till Monday
> of next week... hope this is not a nightly affair. It's really scary
> to see it, not only b/c of the whole visual effect but also because we
> have no clue as to what's going on.

May just be a normal nightmare, and he's got the heebee geebees over
everything for a bit. I can remember getting them myself.

Jen

December 31st 06, 01:50 PM
wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> He wakes up at about 2:30am, starts saying "no, no". Seems like a
> dream but we calls for my wife "Mama, hold me, mama hold me, etc".
> This is screaming out and trembling. We pick him up and then he's
> asking to leave his room, still trembling and screaming.

My DD is 23 months and she occassionally has episodes similar to that
but not quite so dramatic. I pick her up and rock her in the big
rocking chair that I have in my room. I rock her until she calms down
and then I ask if she's ready to go back to her bed. She usually says
no so I tell her that we'll wait a few more minutes. After a few
minutes I bring her back to her bed. It usually works. If she's still
upset I bring her back to the chair. The rule is that she's in her bed
or in the chair with mommy or daddy. If she asks to go downstairs or
for anything except water, I say "No, it's sleepy time now.". I refuse
to leave her alone in her bed if she's frightened. On the other hand,
by restricting her to the chair or the bed, she doesn't have much
incentive to use these episodes as an excuse to get out of bed. I do
not like co-sleeping so I *never* bring her into my bed. I'm glad we
have a big comfy chair that we can sit in.

Works for me ....
Mandy

Irrational Number
January 1st 07, 08:05 AM
wrote:

> He wakes up at about 2:30am, starts saying "no, no". Seems like a
> dream but we calls for my wife "Mama, hold me, mama hold me, etc".
> This is screaming out and trembling. We pick him up and then he's
> asking to leave his room, still trembling and screaming. His eyes are
> open. I took him from my wife and he started screaming more saying
> "no, Mama hold me, Mama hold me". So he obviously knows who is holding
> him. Then he wanted to go downstairs and get some yogurt (of al
> things). We offered him water from his sippy cup but he just screamed
> and said no. The scary thing is, we never heard him scream this way,
> trembling and sobbing about everything we ask him or he asks for.
> Finally got him some yogurt and he starting screaming saying he doesn't
> want it. It was wierd, it was like he was scared of the yogurt cup.

Sounds like a nightmare.

-- Anita --

January 4th 07, 04:22 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for all your advice.

He has not woken up with those "terrors" again since the last time. So
far, it has only happened twice as I mentioned in the oriignal post.

He does wake up once in a while (once a week) and asks for either water
or a snack but typically goes to bed right after. Also, when this
happens he's never crying or screaming or anything like that. So, I am
going to assume that he either had a bad dream or was in a lot of pain
or something like that.

Thanks again!

Kevin

JennP.
January 4th 07, 04:41 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for all your advice.
>
> He has not woken up with those "terrors" again since the last time. So
> far, it has only happened twice as I mentioned in the oriignal post.
>
> He does wake up once in a while (once a week) and asks for either water
> or a snack but typically goes to bed right after. Also, when this
> happens he's never crying or screaming or anything like that. So, I am
> going to assume that he either had a bad dream or was in a lot of pain
> or something like that.
>
> Thanks again!

Now that you mention pain you remind me of my ds. Often he wakes up with his
arm asleep from being in a funny position. He screams and cries because he's
uncomfortable but it's NOT a night terror. He gets those so I know the
difference. Next time it happens check his arms and legs for red marks from
him sleeping in a funny position. His limbs could be falling asleep. HTH

JennP.

bizby40
January 4th 07, 05:23 AM
"JennP." > wrote in message
. ..

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> He does wake up once in a while (once a week) and asks for either
>> water
>> or a snack but typically goes to bed right after. Also, when this
>> happens he's never crying or screaming or anything like that. So,
>> I am
>> going to assume that he either had a bad dream or was in a lot of
>> pain
>> or something like that.
>
> Now that you mention pain you remind me of my ds. Often he wakes up
> with his arm asleep from being in a funny position. He screams and
> cries because he's uncomfortable but it's NOT a night terror. He
> gets those so I know the difference. Next time it happens check his
> arms and legs for red marks from him sleeping in a funny position.
> His limbs could be falling asleep. HTH

I see that no one has mentioned growing pains yet. My DS used to get
terrible pains in his legs. It only happened occasionally. He was
young, but I can't remember for sure how old. I think it may have
been a little older than this though, because he was able to
communicate that his legs hurt. Once we figured out the problem, we
just kept some Motrin upstairs and would give it to him when he
started crying out.

Bizby

Anne Rogers
January 5th 07, 02:23 AM
> I see that no one has mentioned growing pains yet. My DS used to get
> terrible pains in his legs. It only happened occasionally. He was young,
> but I can't remember for sure how old. I think it may have been a little
> older than this though, because he was able to communicate that his legs
> hurt. Once we figured out the problem, we just kept some Motrin upstairs
> and would give it to him when he started crying out.

not saying it couldn't be growing pains, but growing pains tend to be a
symptom of pre and early puberty as opposed to toddlerhood. Having said that
one night a couple of months ago DS (3.5) stumbled out of his bedroom
clutching his knees in the middle of the night, then collapsed in a heap on
the floor, I gave him tylenol and he took it willingly, which is not usual
for him and he went back to sleep. I could think of no other explaination
other than growing pains for that.

Cheers

Anne