PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on car seat testing

David Roman
January 5th 07, 08:15 PM
Most infant seats flunk crash test
By JIM FITZGERALD, Associated Press WriterThu Jan 4, 8:05 PM ET

Most of the infant car seats tested by Consumer Reports "failed
disastrously" in crashes at speeds as low as 35 mph, the magazine
reported Thursday.
The seats came off their bases or twisted in place, the report said. In
one case, a test dummy was hurled 30 feet.
Of the 12 car seats tested, Consumer Reports said it could recommend
only two, and it urged a federal recall of the poorest performing seat,
the Evenflo Discovery.
Evenflo issued a statement disputing the tests' validity, saying, "The
magazine's test conditions and protocols appear to conflict with the
collective experience of car seat manufacturers, NHTSA (the National
Highway Traffic Safety Administration) and the scientific community."
To be sold in the United States, an infant seat must perform adequately
in a 30 mph frontal crash, and Consumer Reports found that all but the
Discovery did so. But it noted that NHTSA crash tests most cars at
higher speeds - 35 mph for frontal crashes and 38 mph for side
crashes - so the magazine tested the seats at those speeds.
"It's unconscionable that infant seats, which are designed to protect
the most vulnerable children, aren't routinely tested the same as new
cars," said Consumer Reports' Don Mays, a product safety director.
NHTSA Administrator Nicole Nason issued a statement saying: "We are
always interested in making car seats better and safer but not more
complicated and difficult for parents. ... We don't want consumers
misled into thinking holding a child is better than putting it into a
car seat."
Nine seats failed some or all of the higher-speed tests, Consumer
Reports said, while meeting the federal 30 mph standard. Another seat
was judged unacceptable because it did not fit well in several cars,
the magazine said.
Messages seeking comment were left with the Juvenile Products
Manufacturers Association, a trade group.
The magazine tested the type of seat that faces the rear and snaps in
and out of a base. It used test dummies weighing 22 or 30 pounds,
depending on the seat manufacturers' claims.
In the 35 mph test, seats separated from their bases, rotated too far
or would have inflicted grave injuries, Consumer Reports said. At 38
mph, four seats flew out of their bases, it said.
The only seats that passed all the tests were the Baby Trend Flex-Loc
and the Graco SnugRide with EPS - expanded polystyrene foam - both
selling for about $90. Consumer Reports urged parents shopping for
seats to buy one of those two, but it also noted that "any child car
seat is better than no seat at all."
It also said some seats performed better when attached by vehicle
safety belts than when attached with the LATCH system. The system,
which stands for Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children, includes belts
that hook the base of a car seat to metal anchors in the vehicle.

I find this article surprising because I was in a car accident at about
45mph with my two children, one in a car seat with a base, and not only
were my children fine but in all honesty the car seats were in
excellent condition. By law I had to buy new car seats but looking at
the car seat and the base you would never know it was in an accident.
I can't recall the name of the car seat but they were not by Baby Trend
or Graco. I'm surprised because I figured most name brand car seats
would perform well in accidents up to 40 and 50 mph.

Ericka Kammerer
January 5th 07, 08:28 PM
David Roman wrote:

> I find this article surprising because I was in a car accident at about
> 45mph with my two children, one in a car seat with a base, and not only
> were my children fine but in all honesty the car seats were in
> excellent condition. By law I had to buy new car seats but looking at
> the car seat and the base you would never know it was in an accident.
> I can't recall the name of the car seat but they were not by Baby Trend
> or Graco. I'm surprised because I figured most name brand car seats
> would perform well in accidents up to 40 and 50 mph.

It doesn't surprise me. Infant carseats with a base
are notoriously difficult to install correctly (though they
were installed correctly for the testing in the article, where
possible). Also, just when you look at the infant seats,
there's more wiggle room than with the convertible seats,
especially without a tether. They're usually only attached
at the rear of the seat, with the front end able to flop
around. Was your crash a side impact crash?

Best wishes,
Ericka

David Roman
January 5th 07, 09:28 PM
Ericka Kammerer wrote:
> David Roman wrote:
>
> > I find this article surprising because I was in a car accident at about
> > 45mph with my two children, one in a car seat with a base, and not only
> > were my children fine but in all honesty the car seats were in
> > excellent condition. By law I had to buy new car seats but looking at
> > the car seat and the base you would never know it was in an accident.
> > I can't recall the name of the car seat but they were not by Baby Trend
> > or Graco. I'm surprised because I figured most name brand car seats
> > would perform well in accidents up to 40 and 50 mph.
>
> It doesn't surprise me. Infant carseats with a base
> are notoriously difficult to install correctly (though they
> were installed correctly for the testing in the article, where
> possible). Also, just when you look at the infant seats,
> there's more wiggle room than with the convertible seats,
> especially without a tether. They're usually only attached
> at the rear of the seat, with the front end able to flop
> around. Was your crash a side impact crash?
>
> Best wishes,
> Ericka

At the moment I'm not sure what a convertible seat is so I'll have to
look it up. My auto accident was in the front but not necessarily a
head on collision. A guy made a left turn at an intersection where he
had the red light and I hit him in the front as I was crossing. Not a
true head on collision where we were both going 45 mph. It was a hard
hit to be sure! I know with both of our car seats they were installed
very securely. Every strap that could be pulled was pulled as tight as
I could physically make it.

Ericka Kammerer
January 6th 07, 02:55 AM
David Roman wrote:
> Ericka Kammerer wrote:
>> David Roman wrote:
>>
>>> I find this article surprising because I was in a car accident at about
>>> 45mph with my two children, one in a car seat with a base, and not only
>>> were my children fine but in all honesty the car seats were in
>>> excellent condition. By law I had to buy new car seats but looking at
>>> the car seat and the base you would never know it was in an accident.
>>> I can't recall the name of the car seat but they were not by Baby Trend
>>> or Graco. I'm surprised because I figured most name brand car seats
>>> would perform well in accidents up to 40 and 50 mph.
>> It doesn't surprise me. Infant carseats with a base
>> are notoriously difficult to install correctly (though they
>> were installed correctly for the testing in the article, where
>> possible). Also, just when you look at the infant seats,
>> there's more wiggle room than with the convertible seats,
>> especially without a tether. They're usually only attached
>> at the rear of the seat, with the front end able to flop
>> around. Was your crash a side impact crash?

> At the moment I'm not sure what a convertible seat is so I'll have to
> look it up. My auto accident was in the front but not necessarily a
> head on collision. A guy made a left turn at an intersection where he
> had the red light and I hit him in the front as I was crossing. Not a
> true head on collision where we were both going 45 mph. It was a hard
> hit to be sure! I know with both of our car seats they were installed
> very securely. Every strap that could be pulled was pulled as tight as
> I could physically make it.

I believe it was the side-impact crashes in this
recently reported test that revealed the problems. Current
standards didn't require side impact testing, but you can
see by the design of the infant seats that side impact tests
might present some difficulties, since the seats can twist
to the side even when properly installed.

Best wishes,
Ericka