Classroom Volunteering and WOH parents (was: Kindergarten - my child "going postal" every morning..

Old August 21st 03, 02:11 PM
Splanche

Default Classroom Volunteering and WOH parents (was: Kindergarten - my child "going postal" every morning..

My pet peeve is the word problems in math that make no sense whatsoever....
DD was in 3rd grade last year, and they were learning graphing and mapping.
They had a word problem with a bar graph that graphed the height of a plant vs.
the date, and the kids were supposed to fill in the last day based on the
previous pattern.
The plant height, over the course of the week, grew some days, and shrunk some
days (I forget the exact pattern.) Although it was obvious to me that the
teacher was looking for pattern recognition, I thought it was a terrible way to
provide the lesson. My daughter answered that on the last day, the plant would
be flat, because no plant can loose height so often without dying...
I have also written on some of my daughter's more ambiguous homework
assignments, "even Mommy doesn't know what you're looking for here." and told
her to bring it to her teacher and get him to explain it again.
- Blanche

Old August 22nd 03, 09:10 PM
Mary Gordon

We have three kids. I can't tell you how many times DH and I have sat
with frustrated kids trying to do public school homework assignments -
and none of us can fathom what the heck the teacher wants. Ambiguous
instructions, peculiar wording and misused terminology, fuzzy
intentions, sloppy layout, missing information. Plus quite often what
the kid has been told to do is at odds with the apparent instructions
printed on the page.

We have to laugh about it - two intelligent university educated adults
completely flummoxed by a Grade 3 homework sheet. One of our three has
a learning disability, so holy cow, if Mom and Dad can't understand
what's he's supposed to do, how the heck is a 9 year old? Our school
uses agenda books, so we just fire off notes to the teacher..."Jimmy
did not complete his homework assignment because it was not clear what
he was expected to do etc. etc."

Yikes.

Mary G.