Books in verse for 2.5yo

Old October 9th 03, 05:19 PM
Robyn Kozierok

Default Books in verse for 2.5yo

I went to the library yesterday with the goal of picking up some
picture books for my 2.5yo that are written in rhyme. Not books of
poems, but books where the basic story is in rhyme (like Dr. Seuss). I
was surprised by how hard it was to find them by just pulling
likely-looking picture books off the shelf. The librarian was helpful
and we ended up with a decent stack, but I'd love some more
suggestions. Evan really seems to like listening to stories that
have that rhythm and rhyme to them.

Thanks in advance!

--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)

Old October 9th 03, 07:25 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
dragonlady wrote:

My kids enjoyed having "regular" poetry read to them at this age. My
Dad had always done that -- he would read his favorites by Longfellow
and Poe and all those folks -- and I had loved it, so I did the same
with my kids, and they seemed to really like it, too. (The first piece
my oldest memorized was the witches' speech from Macbeth)

Evan doesn't seem to enjoy "regular" poetry as much -- he tends to
enjoy the humor and story of the picture books more at this point.

--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)

Old October 9th 03, 07:41 PM
Laura Faussone

Robyn Kozierok wrote:

I went to the library yesterday with the goal of picking up some
picture books for my 2.5yo that are written in rhyme. Not books of
poems, but books where the basic story is in rhyme (like Dr. Seuss). I
was surprised by how hard it was to find them by just pulling
likely-looking picture books off the shelf. The librarian was helpful
and we ended up with a decent stack, but I'd love some more
suggestions. Evan really seems to like listening to stories that
have that rhythm and rhyme to them.

Thanks in advance!

--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)

We were given some "I Spy" books (that I probably wouldn't have looked
twice at) that have the lists of things to look for in the picture in
rhyme. My girls seem to like them.

Laura
Mom to Allison, 4, Sophie, 2, and "Ed McMuffin", 4 mo

Old October 9th 03, 10:00 PM
Banty

In article , Robyn Kozierok says...

I went to the library yesterday with the goal of picking up some
picture books for my 2.5yo that are written in rhyme. Not books of
poems, but books where the basic story is in rhyme (like Dr. Seuss). I
was surprised by how hard it was to find them by just pulling
likely-looking picture books off the shelf. The librarian was helpful
and we ended up with a decent stack, but I'd love some more
suggestions. Evan really seems to like listening to stories that
have that rhythm and rhyme to them.

My son just loved 'How Many Trucks Can a Tow Truck Tow' by R.W. Alley:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...878106& itm=1

The premise is funny and engaging (especially to a gearhead like my kid), it's
all in verse, and the verse is bouncy and quite good. It's a blast to read
outloud.

Banty

Old October 9th 03, 10:38 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
Banty wrote:

In article , Robyn Kozierok says...

I went to the library yesterday with the goal of picking up some
picture books for my 2.5yo that are written in rhyme. Not books of
poems, but books where the basic story is in rhyme (like Dr. Seuss). I
was surprised by how hard it was to find them by just pulling
likely-looking picture books off the shelf. The librarian was helpful
and we ended up with a decent stack, but I'd love some more
suggestions. Evan really seems to like listening to stories that
have that rhythm and rhyme to them.

I think my kids' favorites at this age were a couple by (iirc) Audrey
and (???) Woods: Quick As A Cricket and The Napping House. The Napping
House, especially, has absolutely wonderful rhythm, and I really like
the illustrations. The stories are shorter than Seuss: they've got
about one line on each page -- but they're beautiful, both visually and
aurally.

meh

Old October 9th 03, 10:42 PM
Beeswing

"Robyn Kozierok" wrote in message

I went to the library yesterday with the goal of picking up some
picture books for my 2.5yo that are written in rhyme. Not books of
poems, but books where the basic story is in rhyme (like Dr. Seuss).

was surprised by how hard it was to find them by just pulling
likely-looking picture books off the shelf. The librarian was helpful
and we ended up with a decent stack, but I'd love some more
suggestions. Evan really seems to like listening to stories that
have that rhythm and rhyme to them.

Thanks in advance!

If you haven't yet discovered the Sandra Boynton board books, you are in
for a treat. My daughter and my favorites were "Blue Hat, Green Hat" and
(especially) "But Not the Hippopotamus." Boynton's "Snoozers," which is
a songbook with a tape, is a kick, too. We also liked the board book
"Shoes" by Elizabeth Winthrop.

These books are very basic but make great, short read-alouds. Because
they are basic, I found them to be a good springboard for introducing my
kid to reading on her own. With repetition, the letters started to jibe
with the words she'd hear spoken, making the correlation easy to
recognize.

beeswing

Old October 9th 03, 11:01 PM
Peggy Tatyana

"Robyn Kozierok" wrote:

I went to the library yesterday with the goal of picking up some
picture books for my 2.5yo that are written in rhyme. Not books of
poems, but books where the basic story is in rhyme (like Dr. Seuss). I
was surprised by how hard it was to find them by just pulling
likely-looking picture books off the shelf. The librarian was helpful
and we ended up with a decent stack, but I'd love some more
suggestions. Evan really seems to like listening to stories that
have that rhythm and rhyme to them.

Thanks in advance!

--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)

Here are a few of my personal favorites:

Jamberry by Bruce Degan
Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy Shaw (with many sequels)
Each Peach Pear Plum by Janet and Allan Ahlberg
A House Is a House for Me by Mary Ann Hoberman
Possum Com a-Knockin' by Nancy Van Laan
The Disappearing Alphabet by Richar Wilbur

The last of these is better, I expect, for children old enough to recognize
letters and their sounds, but it's too delightful to leave off.

If you want a real deluge, you might ask over at rec.arts.books.childrens.

Peggy

Old October 9th 03, 11:12 PM
Banty

In article , Banty says...

[...]

Correction: the author is Charlotte Pomerantz, R.W. Alley is the illustrator.

It's a can't-miss book, though :-)

Cheers,
Banty