Second bout of mastitis -- what can I do about this?

Old July 5th 06, 11:27 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Carlye

Default Second bout of mastitis -- what can I do about this?

DS will be five weeks old on Friday. I had one bout of mastitis,
beginning when he was 9 days old. I had a second bout (different
breast) beginning this past Saturday, when he was 29 days old.

First, since it's a different breast this time, am I safe to assume
this is an entirely different infection, or could it be the same one?
I was on an antibiotic for 10 days with the first instance.

Second, what can I do to prevent this, other than making sure his latch
is good and my breasts are drained? I never had mastitis with DD, but
now I've had two instances, both with pretty significant fevers/chills,
and this one with really quite severe pain, and a much, much bigger,
more pronounced, and harder red area. I'm also experiencing a slower
recovery.

Thanks for the help.

-Carlye
DS 6-2-06
DD 9-29-04

Old July 6th 06, 01:43 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
CY

There are lots of things that can help...

1) Don't wear underwired bras, or bras that are too small (go braless often)
2) Don't let yourself get engorged. If you feel full and baby doesn't want
to nurse, pump a little to relieve any engorgement.

Actually - here is a really good resource...
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...-mastitis.html

hth

CY
oups.com...

Old July 6th 06, 02:20 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

In article .com,
"Carlye" wrote:

Second, what can I do to prevent this, other than making sure his latch
is good and my breasts are drained?

I think in the first place, I'd be a bit suspicious of his latch. Are you in
pain/discomfort at any time when he's feeding?

Secondly, I'd suspect that your bra is not a good fit. Did you buy it before
or after your milk came in? Most of us can survive on a 'best guess' bra, but
perhaps you can't, this time. It can be expensive to get one fitted, but
department stores may offer free fittings if you are lucky.

Thirdly, you might want to try lecithin supplements -- some people swear by
them.

Just as a tail-end question: are you very engorged, or still oversupplied with
milk? I've had this and will advise if you need it.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old July 6th 06, 04:18 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Carlye

Chookie wrote:

I think in the first place, I'd be a bit suspicious of his latch. Are you in
pain/discomfort at any time when he's feeding?

No pain or discomfort whatsoever. In fact, even with the mastitis,
breastfeeding is more comfortable than pumping.

Secondly, I'd suspect that your bra is not a good fit. Did you buy it before
or after your milk came in? Most of us can survive on a 'best guess' bra, but
perhaps you can't, this time. It can be expensive to get one fitted, but
department stores may offer free fittings if you are lucky.

I bought some of my bras before, some after. I have stopped using any
underwire bras and am now opting for cupless "sports bra" type nursing
bras. I don't -think- that's the problem. Actually, I wonder if the
problem could be as simple as one night of not getting to breastfeed as
much as usual and having to sleep on my opposite side? DS was
hospitalized Friday night and I didn't have my pump with me, plus in
order to sleep next to him in the hospital I had to sleep on the
opposite side, which is usually the more engorged side. Could this do
it?

Thirdly, you might want to try lecithin supplements -- some people swear by
them.

I will try this.

Just as a tail-end question: are you very engorged, or still oversupplied with
milk? I've had this and will advise if you need it.

I'm still somewhat oversupplied, but not too bad. I try to pump the
excess and usually get no more than 10 extra ounces a day, usually
less. Granted, I just let myself be a little overinflated at night --
I don't get up to pump in the night.

Thanks for your help!!

-Carlye
DS 6-2-06
DD 9-29-04

Old July 6th 06, 04:51 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
PattyMomVA

"Carlye" wrote and I snipped:
Actually, I wonder if the
problem could be as simple as one night of not getting to breastfeed as
much as usual and having to sleep on my opposite side? DS was
hospitalized Friday night and I didn't have my pump with me, plus in
order to sleep next to him in the hospital I had to sleep on the
opposite side, which is usually the more engorged side. Could this do
it?

Yes, definitely. Hope DS is okay!

-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old July 6th 06, 05:31 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Kim E

Sorry if this is a repeat of info already passed on, but there is
a link between anemia and recurrent mastitis. If you think you
may be a little anemic, you could try to eat more iron-rich foods
and supplement with a tablespoon or 2 per day of blackstrap
molasses (that helped me reduce fatigue from borderline anemia.)

-kim

"Carlye" wrote in message
ps.com...

Old July 6th 06, 05:59 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Carlye

PattyMomVA wrote:
"Carlye" wrote and I snipped:
Actually, I wonder if the
problem could be as simple as one night of not getting to breastfeed as
much as usual and having to sleep on my opposite side?

Yes, definitely. Hope DS is okay!

Really? Gosh, I thought mastitis developed much more slowly and
required a topical crack or blockage or something. You learn something
new every day. :-)

And thanks, we're pretty sure DS is fine. He has just had a cough
since birth and now occasionally chokes and stops breathing for a few
seconds. They're ruled out pretty much everything really, really bad,
and we're down to thinking it's either a very obscure infection (he's
gone through a course of amoxicillin, but they are going to try
zithromax next) or atypical GERD, since he isn't "spitty." Still, it's
never comforting to have -anything- wrong with one of your kids, and
having him hospitalized, and now having him on an apnea monitor, has
made it all the more scary.

-Carlye
DS 6-2-06
DD 9-29-04

Old July 6th 06, 07:24 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
PattyMomVA

"Carlye" wrote and I snipped:
PattyMomVA wrote:
"Carlye" wrote and I snipped:
Actually, I wonder if the
problem could be as simple as one night of not getting to breastfeed as
much as usual and having to sleep on my opposite side?

Yes, definitely. Hope DS is okay!

Really? Gosh, I thought mastitis developed much more slowly and
required a topical crack or blockage or something. You learn something
new every day. :-)

Kellymom says that milk statis/restricted milk flow is the primary cause of
plugged ducts and mastitis. The site also says that mastitis can come on
abruptly.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

And thanks, we're pretty sure DS is fine. He has just had a cough
since birth and now occasionally chokes and stops breathing for a few
seconds. They're ruled out pretty much everything really, really bad,
and we're down to thinking it's either a very obscure infection (he's
gone through a course of amoxicillin, but they are going to try
zithromax next) or atypical GERD, since he isn't "spitty." Still, it's
never comforting to have -anything- wrong with one of your kids, and
having him hospitalized, and now having him on an apnea monitor, has
made it all the more scary.

Yes, I'm sure it's scary. It sounds similar to the coughing/choking that DD
had from about 7 to 9 months when she was diagnosed with hyper-reactive
airways, a mild form of asthma. She would cough, cough, cough and then not
be able to breathe in for a couple of seconds. Appropriate nebulizer
treatments cleared it up, although we had repeat issues whenever she got
congested over the next couple of years. It's awful when you know there's
something going on with your baby, but the doctors can't tell you what it
is.

Take care,
-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old July 7th 06, 04:05 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

I bought some of my bras before, some after. I have stopped using any
underwire bras and am now opting for cupless "sports bra" type nursing
bras. I don't -think- that's the problem.

hmm, it depends on your size, but I always find that kind of top squashes
the breasts, perhaps in a more subtle way, but squashes non the less. Do you
wear it at night, perhaps you could cut that out if you do.

Actually, I wonder if the
problem could be as simple as one night of not getting to breastfeed as
much as usual and having to sleep on my opposite side? DS was
hospitalized Friday night and I didn't have my pump with me, plus in
order to sleep next to him in the hospital I had to sleep on the
opposite side, which is usually the more engorged side. Could this do
it?

absolutely, which hopefully means this is a one off (or rather a two off!)

Thirdly, you might want to try lecithin supplements -- some people swear
by
them.

I will try this.

if it's a blocked duct that turns into mastitis this has a good chance of
helping, if not it probably doesn't

have you had any blocked ducts at other times that have cleared without
getting infected?

Anne

Old July 7th 06, 06:15 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Carlye

Anne Rogers wrote:

hmm, it depends on your size, but I always find that kind of top squashes
the breasts, perhaps in a more subtle way, but squashes non the less. Do you
wear it at night, perhaps you could cut that out if you do.

Well, this whole "go braless" thing has kind of made me wonder:
exactly -how- does one go braless when breastfeeding? During the day,
it's simply not an option -- I have to go to work, and I can't have
"the girls" flopping and spraying about. Fortunately, the sports bras
I mentioned are super comfy and squash very little. But even at night,
I leak an awful lot. Even with towels or a blanket under me, I can
soak through quite easily (and it's very unpleasant to sleep on a wet
towel, too) . How does one manage without a bra to hold a nursing pad
in place?

have you had any blocked ducts at other times that have cleared without
getting infected?

I've never had anything wrong, other than cracks/scabs that never did
anything but hurt, other than this mastitis, with either baby. I only
breastfed DD for 11 months, but still -- 11 months and no problems is a
far cry from four weeks and two infections!

Thanks, Anne.

-Carlye
DS 6-2-06
DD 9-29-04

Breastfeeding and Mastitis sineadhoben Breastfeeding 8 May 12th 06 01:29 PM
Pumped milk with mastitis and antibiotics Jen Breastfeeding 7 December 23rd 05 09:29 PM
mastitis w/o fever? Melania Breastfeeding 8 November 30th 05 07:05 PM
Q about mastitis A&G&K Breastfeeding 3 September 24th 03 04:38 AM
What are symptom of mastitis? Plissken Breastfeeding 0 July 9th 03 06:29 AM