Aspirin being prescribed in Third Trimester

Old April 1st 04, 12:08 AM
Kelly

Default Aspirin being prescribed in Third Trimester

My sister who is 30 weeks pregnant, has been prescribed aspirin by her OB..
She is quite concerned about this due to things that she has read that
suggest that it is not advisable...

The baby is quite small, it is about 26-27 weeks growth at present. The OB
said that by taking the aspirin this may thin her blood causing better blood
flow through the placenta.. The ultrasounds which she is currently having
every 2nd week to monitor the baby's growth, have all been good, with no
apparent problems with the heart, placenta etc - she has been advised that
it may just be a small baby... She has finished work due to the OB's advice
and is resting..

Has anyone had any experience with taking aspirin in the third trimester??
Is it normal to increase blood flow through the placenta??

TIA

Kelly in Oz
Mummy to Emily 2.5yrs and Isabella 15mths

Old April 1st 04, 03:56 AM
zolw

Well I found the following:
"ASPIRIN

SUMMARY

* Prospective studies of aspirin use during pregnancy have involved
low doses (40-150 mg/day) rather than analgesic doses.

* Large retrospective studies of aspirin use in women during
pregnancy have failed to demonstrate a teratogenic effect.

* Aspirin should be avoided during the third trimester due to
possible bleeding complications and premature closure of the
ductus arteriosus, which may lead to pulmonary vasculature
abnormalities and pulmonary hypertension in the newborn.1

* In pregnancies at risk for the development of pregnancy-induced
hypertension and pre-eclampsia, and in fetuses with intra-uterine
growth retardation, low-dose aspirin (40-150 mg/day) may be
beneficial.

* Use of low dose aspirin may reduce pre-eclampsia by approximately
25%, but study findings have been inconsistent"

http://www.intox.org/databank/docume...in/ukpid03.htm

Old April 1st 04, 03:32 PM
Nikki

Kelly wrote:

Has anyone had any experience with taking aspirin in the third
trimester?? Is it normal to increase blood flow through the placenta??

I took a baby aspirin all throughout my pregnancy because I had borderline
high blood pressure. I also had additional tests to monitor the placenta
and growth of the baby. In my case some people believe that a baby aspirin
reduces the risk of the high blood pressure turning into pre-eclempsia but I
think the jury is still out on that one. IUGR can also be associated with
high blood pressure and I *think* that is related to the function of the
placenta. The aspirin thins the blood with the hopes that the placenta
will get more and therefore function better.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old April 2nd 04, 07:14 AM
Cheryl

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 09:08:35 +1000, "Kelly" wrote:

My sister who is 30 weeks pregnant, has been prescribed aspirin by her OB..
She is quite concerned about this due to things that she has read that
suggest that it is not advisable...

The baby is quite small, it is about 26-27 weeks growth at present. The OB
said that by taking the aspirin this may thin her blood causing better blood
flow through the placenta.. The ultrasounds which she is currently having
every 2nd week to monitor the baby's growth, have all been good, with no
apparent problems with the heart, placenta etc - she has been advised that
it may just be a small baby... She has finished work due to the OB's advice
and is resting..

Has anyone had any experience with taking aspirin in the third trimester??
Is it normal to increase blood flow through the placenta??

NOt completely related but my son's cardiologist said that aspirin
therapy to prevent stroke in kids with heart disease is something that
is recommended more as a CYA than because it's been proven to work.
It's probably the same with your sister and the aspirin for the
pregnancy, it's not proven to work but it can't hurt and may actually
improve the outcomes. If she's only taking 100mg or less a day it
should be ok.

--
Cheryl
Mum to Shrimp (11 Mar 99), Thud (4 Oct 00)